PDA

View Full Version : Adding airport card to iBook with broken ethernet port

AliC
Jun 24, 2006, 01:51 AM
My ethernet port broke (tripped over the cord), I had it repaired and now it's not functioning again. Rather than getting it repaired again, I would prefer to just go wireless. Is it possible to add an airport card and wireless router without a functioning ethernet port? I read on another post that an ethernet cable connection is necessary for the initial setup of the router.

iBook G3/900Mhz/Yahoo! DSL

thanks!

A

mad jew
Jun 24, 2006, 02:52 AM
Many routers can be configured and even set up wirelessly. If you buy one that cannot, is there a way of borrowing somebody's computer for a while just to set up your router. You should only need to do it once because all wireless routers that I can think of are capable of having settings modified wirelessly. :)

Gee
Jun 24, 2006, 04:36 AM
As I recall, the Airport Express is set up wirelessly - an expensive option I know, but worth it (iTunes music streaming is very sweet0.

Str8edgepunker
Jun 24, 2006, 12:00 PM
Many routers can be configured and even set up wirelessly. If you buy one that cannot, is there a way of borrowing somebody's computer for a while just to set up your router. You should only need to do it once because all wireless routers that I can think of are capable of having settings modified wirelessly. :)

Some Netgear routers are the only ones I know of offhand that you have to configure manually. Go with a linksys, they're really awesome.

AliC
Jun 25, 2006, 01:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It was really helpful. I'm looking forward to a life without the hassle of tripping over wires.

A:D

jtown
Jun 27, 2006, 12:56 PM
Most wireless routers I've seen default to being wide open for wireless connections. Meaning you join the wireless network created by the router when you first turn it on, go to the admin page (the instructions will tell you how to do it with a browser) and you can set up the security and encryption wirelessly. Just make sure you make a note of that encryption key before you hit "apply". :)

mad jew
Jun 27, 2006, 07:37 PM
Just make sure you make a note of that encryption key before you hit "apply". :)

Good point, although most routers have a hard reset option which will return them back to their factory settings. :cool: