PDA

View Full Version : is a 12" powerbook good for emulation?

junkionxl
Feb 28, 2003, 04:17 PM
I am a huge emultion nut. I am looking forward to seeing some outstanding emultion coming along in OS X. Rumored long ago sony was working with a company for developing a ps2 emulator for apple computers. But that was like 2 years ago and i am not really waiting for it cuz i don't see it happening any time soon. I am into Mame and stuff like that. I would like a powerbook to have as a mobile game center. Then the ultimate question i wonder if halo would run on it? I think it would but not at max resoultion. since the 12" only has a NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go with 32MB of DDR SDRAM. I would say that a high end 15" or 17 " is intended for that. but i don't feel like spending over $3,000.

yzedf
Feb 28, 2003, 05:14 PM
Halo was supposed to be a native Mac game, until Bungie was bought out (or sold out depending who you ask) to Microsoft.

Given that most effects for OS X are software hindered, not hardware wise, my guess would be that emulation is gonna suck for a while.

sageenos
Feb 28, 2003, 05:23 PM
Halo's coming out this year for both Mac and Windows.

My powerbook is a pretty good gaming machine. I can run relatively intense 3d games at 800 by 600 with good results. I have a Radeon 7500 with 32mb ddr and 512 mb of system memory. The 12" powerbook should do very well with games I would think.

If only I had waited one month....I could have gotten the 867 powerbook with Radeon 9000 mobile....my powerbook's value dropped like a rock in the past few months so I'd take a massive loss if I tried to sell it and get a newer one. I expected something like that to happen...oh well...hmm...I need to get a new desktop system sometime soon, and I've heard that IBM is already selling or just about to sell systems with the 970 chip so Macs with 970s might not be that far off. I'm done rambling...

junkionxl
Feb 28, 2003, 06:29 PM
Well if thats the case…I guess I have to go back to Mac OS 9.2.2. I heard that OS X is really slick for like emulation like SNES and GBA and what not. but I am looking at a ClubMac mag and i am really looking at a 15" powerbook. With a nice 20" display....:p :::drolll face:::

Anyway i think a 15" would do nice tho. i will always have X11 to mess with too.

Xero
Feb 28, 2003, 06:42 PM
uhh, i dont know what kinds of games you people are playing, and NOT that im putting down my powerbook in any way, especially since i defenatly didnt buy it for gaming, but warcraft3 for me was almost unplayable when the action got thick, and i had to start turning off effects to finish the match. emulating SNES,NES,GBA,MAME etc.. is fine, but good luck with halo on a current powerbook, MAYBE the 17". and personally i would NOT buy a powerbook just for a 2D emulation machine. lots of $$$ down the drain.

my 2cents

junkionxl
Feb 28, 2003, 07:58 PM
I am also a graphic artist and i would like to take soemthign mobile with me if i have a free lance job…i need something that is portable if i wanna work with illustrator, photoshop, or indesign. I would just hook up a usb trackball to it if i am going to go do that. i just lov emy uncles powerbook when the 667 came out i was like "I WANT!" I am a mac fan and i would love to have a 1ghz powerbook...think about it its a huge step from this piece of crap g3 300....the good part is it has 448mb of ram

KingArthur
Mar 1, 2003, 01:11 AM
Essentially, emulation at this point for most platforms is piss-poor 2d graphics. Even if you do get 3d support, laptops are poor for games, no matter if you get a PC or Mac (at least in comparison to a desktop). All of the "2go" cards and such pale in comparison to the regular cards. My g-force4-to-go has worse rendering speed than a desktop computer my roomate has of identical processor speeds, yet he has a regular g-force3! Laptops aren't powerhouses for games, that is my two cents worth.