PDA

View Full Version : tell my macbook not to sleep wen i close it!!!

bigben334
Jun 26, 2006, 07:47 PM
wen i close my macbook it goes to sleep....and my away message turns off on ichat and i get signed off....how can i prevent this?!?!?!...someone please tell me either how to tell ichat not to sign off wen my computer sleeps or tell me how to make my computer stay awake wen i close the screen....but also...even if i can close the screen without makeing it sleep...wont it eventually sleep??? i mean theres gotta be a way to keep ichat signed on wen the computer is sleeping...somebody please help

bobber205
Jun 26, 2006, 07:56 PM
I may be wrong, but I think there's actually no way to do that.

Sorry. :D

wheezy
Jun 26, 2006, 07:58 PM
wen i close my macbook it goes to sleep....and my away message turns off on ichat and i get signed off....how can i prevent this?!?!?!...someone please tell me either how to tell ichat not to sign off wen my computer sleeps or tell me how to make my computer stay awake wen i close the screen....but also...even if i can close the screen without makeing it sleep...wont it eventually sleep??? i mean theres gotta be a way to keep ichat signed on wen the computer is sleeping...somebody please help

Not gonna happen dude, can you talk on the phone while you're sleeping? Same concept, iChat can't stay on when the computer is sleeping, nothing is on when the computer is sleeping. The only way you're gonna beat this is to leave your MacBook open, and go to energy settings and tell it never to sleep, then you'll always stay signed on. The only other way to have your Macbook closed but not sleeping is to have it plugged into an external monitor, then you could just turn the monitor off if you're worried about people looking or something.

WildCowboy
Jun 26, 2006, 08:01 PM
It'll cost you a few bucks, but you might want to consider SleepLess (http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html)...

SteveRichardson
Jun 26, 2006, 08:02 PM
why don't you just dim down the screen all the way?

I mean that's the closest you can get to sleeping, yet still being connected to the internet....right?

That's a funny concept.

Lebowski
Jun 26, 2006, 08:10 PM
i know alot of people that run their mac laptops with external monitors, and run the mac with the lid closed.

i dont like doing that. The heat vents out of the top of the keyboard quite a bit, and if its closed and running, its gonna get real toasty in there.

purelithium
Jun 26, 2006, 08:18 PM
Please learn proper grammar and spelling. Thanks.

This is the one thing that pisses me off about Apple notebooks. I loved being able to close my Thinkpad and have it churn away at whatever it was doing without the risk of it being kicked around and the screen hinges break. Or just lowering the profile while I reorganize my desk (which I do quite frequently). I still want to have the laptop encode the video, or churn through database data, or upload to my FTP server while I momentarily close the screen. WHY NOT MAKE IT AN OPTION?

christ.

mrichmon
Jun 26, 2006, 08:35 PM
i mean theres gotta be a way to keep ichat signed on wen the computer is sleeping...somebody please help

iChat periodically contacts the iChat servers to tell the server that you are still connected. If your machine is alseep this communication with the server will not happen and you will be marked as not logged on. There is no way to maintain network connections if your machine is asleep... that's part of what asleep means.

On the otherhand, as another poster pointed out the program Sleepless will let you close your laptop without the laptop going to sleep. You can also set Sleepless to allow the screen to sleep while preventing the machine from sleeping. Setting your laptop to never sleep requires a lot more power than in sleep mode.

iKat
Jun 26, 2006, 08:38 PM
The way the mbp's and mb's are designed, you can't do that. I had a thinkpad, I used to leave it closed, to... but whatever. The way the heat is moved out of the case, you'd just burn the screen. I just go to energy settings, have the monitor turn off after 5 mins and the hd never shut off. Sorry you don't like it, but it's not that big a deal.

daveL
Jun 26, 2006, 08:55 PM
Please learn proper grammar and spelling. Thanks.
Get a life ...

purelithium
Jun 26, 2006, 09:27 PM
Get a life ...

Why post when you have nothing of value to add to a thread? Just to start a flame war? Great... perfect, that's the exact thing the internet needs.:rolleyes:

What it DOES need are people who can actually correctly communicate with eachother using proper english/language.

So if you want to tell me to get a life for not wanting to decipher almost uninteligible scrawlings, then you can go **** yourself.

celebrian23
Jun 26, 2006, 09:28 PM
I know someone accidently did this by leaving a program running that asks you if you're sure or whatever, and their laptop got extremely, extremely hot. Apple laptops just weren't designed for this kinda stuff.

WildCowboy
Jun 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
Apple laptops just weren't designed for this kinda stuff.

Of course they are...or else Apple wouldn't include the ability (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562) to do this. iBooks couldn't do this because of the need to vent heat through the keyboard, but it's fine for PBs, MBs, and MBPs to do it. I know plenty of people who run their machines full-time this way with no problem.

celebrian23
Jun 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
I thought that was for when it was hooked up to an external display

WildCowboy
Jun 26, 2006, 09:49 PM
As long as you allow for adequate ventilation (ie. don't stick it in a bag while it's running), there's absolutely no problem with running it in clamshell mode. It would likely run even cooler than when it's connected to an external display as it's not trying to drive a giant display.

wheezy
Jun 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
Why post when you have nothing of value to add to a thread? Just to start a flame war? Great... perfect, that's the exact thing the internet needs.:rolleyes:

What it DOES need are people who can actually correctly communicate with eachother using proper english/language.

So if you want to tell me to get a life for not wanting to decipher almost uninteligible scrawlings, then you can go **** yourself.

You're one pissed off little man lithium, you didn't add anything of value to the thread either, all you did was complain how a MB won't churn away at something with the lid closed, you did nothing but promote thinkpads. So nextime you feel like ripping on someone who called you on a lousy, pointless and rude comment, look yourself in the mirror and flip off the real person with the problem.

Some people can't spell, so what?! they can do things YOU can't do. Try helping them with their question anyways instead of insulting them and then NOT offering any help (because you didn't)

<end rant to mean people>

Vrbas
Jul 6, 2006, 04:16 PM
Not gonna happen dude, can you talk on the phone while you're sleeping? Same concept, iChat can't stay on when the computer is sleeping, nothing is on when the computer is sleeping. The only way you're gonna beat this is to leave your MacBook open, and go to energy settings and tell it never to sleep, then you'll always stay signed on. The only other way to have your Macbook closed but not sleeping is to have it plugged into an external monitor, then you could just turn the monitor off if you're worried about people looking or something.

I can put my Alienware PC to sleep and remain online w/ no problem. Pretty sad isn't it? :rolleyes:

mrichmon
Jul 6, 2006, 05:29 PM
I can put my Alienware PC to sleep and remain online w/ no problem. Pretty sad isn't it? :rolleyes:

If you put the Alienware PC to sleep and then ping it what happens?

If the machine responds to the ping then by definition the computer is not sleeping. (Though the screen might be sleeping.)

evangelion-01
Jul 6, 2006, 11:43 PM
This is one of the thigns i hate about my macbook, i want to leave my pr0n downloading with the screen off :(

x704
Jul 7, 2006, 12:40 AM
My iBook does not sleep when I close the lid... I bought mine referbished and did not know it was supposed to sleep when the lid gets closed.

Somebody said that the magnetic trigger for the sleep option is just underneath the arrow keys. So I played around with a magnet holding it in that area and sure enough it puts it to sleep. I was thinking if you really wanted to you could find that area and then open the computer and take out the mechanism or the magnet that makes it sleep.

As it is I see no reason to fix my computer.

rockandrule
Jul 7, 2006, 01:59 AM
System Preferences -> Energy Saver, then turn your monitor to turn off after 1 minute. Leave your screen open, and your IM will continue to work away. This keeps things from getting incredibly hot, don't hate Apple for making it this way.

rockandrule
Jul 7, 2006, 02:02 AM
Even checking out Wild's site you can see that it says it could cause major heat problems. Although, this might be different when using an external monitor, as you are not doing so, just sleep your monitor.

purelithium
Jul 7, 2006, 06:58 AM
Even checking out Wild's site you can see that it says it could cause major heat problems. Although, this might be different when using an external monitor, as you are not doing so, just sleep your monitor.

How is it different having the macbook work "headlessly" while closed than when it has an external monitor attatched? How does that have an effect on the heat? It doesn't, because Macbooks are designed to be used in clamshell mode, unlike the iBook's you're comparing them to. iBooks were cooled by venting heat through the keyboard, but the MacBooks have vents at the back of the computer, so this is unnecessary.

Apple can't say that the MacBook can run in clamshell mode if it'll overheat, that would cause way too many warranty issues, no?

hockeyfreak1289
Nov 27, 2008, 01:30 PM
there is such an application called InsomniaX which prevents laptops from sleeping on closed lids.
heres the link: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315
hope you enjoy! Also happy thanksgiving! haha :)

NRose8989
Nov 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
WTF.... Isn't this the Mac Pro forum?

Well people just to add some helpful advice to this thread.....

Just live with it..... You Mac is not a Thinkpad or a Alienware, It's a Mac and there are PLENTY of things we would like to do on our Macs that our PC counterparts can do but we can't.

Mackilroy
Nov 27, 2008, 02:22 PM
You didn't have to gravedig a two-year old topic just to say that. :p

Tallest Skil
Nov 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
WTF.... Isn't this the Mac Pro forum?

Well people just to add some helpful advice to this thread.....

Just live with it..... You Mac is not a Thinkpad or a Alienware, It's a Mac and there are PLENTY of things we would like to do on our Macs that our PC counterparts can do but we can't.

1. Wrong forum.
2. It is unacceptable to just "live with it".
3. Looking at the post above yours, we have a solution. Search harder.

zmttoxics
Nov 27, 2008, 03:38 PM
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070302210328928

To disable safe sleep, run the two following commands in Terminal:

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
$ sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false

That will stop it from caching and what not, so I believe it just turns off the screen. To reverse, follow the same steps but use 3 instead of 0.

cellocello
Nov 27, 2008, 03:50 PM
there is such an application called InsomniaX which prevents laptops from sleeping on closed lids.
heres the link: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315
hope you enjoy! Also happy thanksgiving! haha :)

This is the answer to the OP's question.

I have used this myself in the past ... pity the application icon is so damn ugly.

tubbymac
Nov 28, 2008, 01:33 AM
I run my Macbook with the lid closed the majority of the time and have run into absolutely no heat related issues. The wireless signal strength does drop, however, and my guess is that it's due to the close proximity of the antenna with the magnetic latch, not to mention all the aluminum. Since you were specifically talking about iChat here, be aware that keeping your notebook closed will most likely reduce your internet speed and increase your lag if you're on wireless.

crazyxzer0
Nov 28, 2008, 01:46 AM
This is the answer to the OP's question.

I have used this myself in the past ... pity the application icon is so damn ugly.

agree on the icon. I use this when i leave my book overnight in clamshell mode. Temperatures, seem to fluctuate 2-3degrees between clamshell and open. But overall, its a good program if you want to leave it in clamshell mode and running.