PDA

View Full Version : Quartz Extreme

yogi477
Mar 1, 2003, 10:27 AM
I watched the "Power of X" presentation over the internet from MWSF in January an was impressed by the Quartz Extreme system but I am unsure how to see if it is active or not and if not if it can be on my 12" PB. Anyone know if it is or is it unsupported in Laptops?

rainman::|:|
Mar 1, 2003, 10:35 AM
i'm quite sure all of the current Macs have at least 32 meg of vram, which is the requirement for extreme. it's definitely not disabled in laptops... you should be using it right now...

pnw

idkew
Mar 1, 2003, 10:50 AM
you definitly have QE when in single monitor mode. If you hook up a second monitor, there are little apps around for free which will allow you to see if you get QE on both or one screen at a time.

yogi477
Mar 1, 2003, 10:50 AM
Is there any way I can check this? You are right it does have 32MB VRAM so it should work but I cannot find anywhere to verify it. Thanks

MacBandit
Mar 1, 2003, 10:52 AM
It IS working trust us. If you don't trust us (who could blame you) try this app (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15911&db=mac).

alex_ant
Mar 1, 2003, 11:24 AM
To test to see if it's working, play a DVD movie in fullscreen and adjust the volume or brightness using the keyboard keys. If the volume/brightness icon that shows up briefly on screen is gray, QE is not on, and if it's transparent and allows the movie to show through, it is on.

yogi477
Mar 1, 2003, 11:45 AM
Cheers guys, you have come through as always

timbloom
Mar 3, 2003, 03:51 AM
another way to find this out, hold your cursor over a white background, if you see a faint shadow bordering it, you have Quartz Extreme enabled.

alset
Mar 3, 2003, 04:27 AM
I get the shadow under my cursor on an iBook. This is a trademark of QE, if I am not mistaken.

Dan