Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
I watched the "Power of X" presentation over the internet from MWSF in January an was impressed by the Quartz Extreme system but I am unsure how to see if it is active or not and if not if it can be on my 12" PB. Anyone know if it is or is it unsupported in Laptops?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i'm quite sure all of the current Macs have at least 32 meg of vram, which is the requirement for extreme. it's definitely not disabled in laptops... you should be using it right now...

pnw

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
Is there any way I can check this? You are right it does have 32MB VRAM so it should work but I cannot find anywhere to verify it. Thanks

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
To test to see if it's working, play a DVD movie in fullscreen and adjust the volume or brightness using the keyboard keys. If the volume/brightness icon that shows up briefly on screen is gray, QE is not on, and if it's transparent and allows the movie to show through, it is on.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
another way to find this out, hold your cursor over a white background, if you see a faint shadow bordering it, you have Quartz Extreme enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.