Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsfan62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I'm a free-lance graphic designer with a design degree and about 20 years experience. I have an office, but no employees. I've done mostly print work; right now, I spend a lot of time in magazine publishing with a smattering of other types of projects. I've had a couple of clients recently cut back on the projects they are sending out, so I need to look for some additional work.

I'm writing this because I'd like to try some other area of art/design, and I'm looking around for some ideas. I'm not really looking for advice per se, I'm just collecting some ideas of some things that maybe I've overlooked. I live in a small Midwestern town, and due to personal circumstances, moving is not an option. I don't want to be limited to just local clients (I'm not right now), and I enjoy working by myself. I learn new things pretty quickly, and I enjoy adding to my skills.

So, any ideas? What do you do for work and what's you're experience with it? What kind of work could an individual freelancer get hired for? I appreciate any and all replies. Thanks.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
cardsfan62 said:
What do you do for work and what's you're experience with it? What kind of work could an individual freelancer get hired for?

I occasionally strech out and do a bit of event planning. Golf tournements and the such. Golf courses are generally really easy to work with and very helpful. Generally these events require print colateral too so you get to keep doing that. I find them a good change of pace.

cardsfan62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I guess I should say that I'm open, maybe even eager to do new types of work (print/web/video/motion/etc.) that I don't know how to do right now that could build off of my design experience

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
cardsfan62 said:
(print/web/video/motion/etc.)

My bad I assumed you would have already delved into these areas. Most of these are fairly easy to get into but rely heavly on word of mouth and networking to get the jobs.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
You know how I broke into a few new things.....

Craigslist.

Seriously, when I first began as a freelancer, thats where I started getting work. Now I have no need for it, but what a great place to find all sorts of jobs and explain to people your skillset. Free advertising.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
You should try and get into a little motion work. If you know photoshop then you should be able to pick up after effects pretty quickly, It's like photoshop with keyframes. You could start out with some simple experience builders like local business commercials. You could probably parlay your print contacts into some motion work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.