Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jficca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
Boston, MA
I have problems with some IMG files not mounting in either os 10.1.2 and 9.2.1. I receive errors that either state the disk is not recognized or the checksum can't be verified. Any thoughts?

bobbyG4

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2002
IMG files....

I have the same problem........They used to be fine, but then all of a sudden, i cant mount them.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've had the same problem...

I just assumed it was a bad file...

has it happened often to u guys? it's happened to me twice... :confused:

bobbyG4

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2002
img files...

i have two or three files that i cant open...... i think it happend since i installed 10.1.2, but im not sure.......disc copy says the same as the first post.

jficca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
Boston, MA
is there a way to repair the file?

maybe it is related to the creator? Does anyone have any experience with shrinkwrap as a remedy?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
corrup files

I have had that happen to me too a few times. You may want to check out the file with resEdit. Could ba a bad resource-fork or something like that. And at times... files just get corrupt. Thats why I have over 200 CD's of backed up files and images. I have usued Shrinkwrap to mount files that diskCopy suddenly stoped mounting and then made anew image out of the mounted Disk. Seemed to work. But I dont know how reliable that is.

jficca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
Boston, MA
creator

.....I suppose you can interpret it as you wish.

Does anyone know what to do in resedit to fix the file?

I don't own shrinkwrap and don't feel like shelling out the money with no assurance it will work.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Re: creator

Originally posted by jficca
.....I suppose you can interpret it as you wish.

Does anyone know what to do in resedit to fix the file?

I don't own shrinkwrap and don't feel like shelling out the money with no assurance it will work.

would you like for me to e-mail you a copy of shrinkwrap for classic?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: corrup files

Originally posted by evildead
I have had that happen to me too a few times. You may want to check out the file with resEdit. Could ba a bad resource-fork or something like that. And at times... files just get corrupt. Thats why I have over 200 CD's of backed up files and images. I have usued Shrinkwrap to mount files that diskCopy suddenly stoped mounting and then made anew image out of the mounted Disk. Seemed to work. But I dont know how reliable that is.

Evil's got the right idea. Disk Copy is notorious for for corupt files. I suggest using .dmg, toast, or shrinkwrap images only. If you get a disk copy .img file immediatly convert it to one of the file types i mentioned. Often if you are getting a checksum error you can skip the verification. The file usually still mounts, if it does then you can go ahead and convert it to shrinkwrap or toast. I have little experience with .dmg. I have come across quite a few corrupted .dmg files but they have come from suspicious sources so i havent thought much of it. Personally i convert everything to toast image format (no better than shrinkwrap as far as i can tell but faster to create since it doesnt compress the file as much).

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
info

Here is how to fix the resource fork if you want to give it a try:

open the Img in Resedit, then go into the file menu and click get info on "file.img". To fix the file you need to type this in the type and creator boxes :

If its a Disk Copy img
Type: rohd
Creator: ddsk

If its a Toast image
Type: Glmg
Creator: CDr3

If its a Shrinkwrap smi
Type: APPL
Creator: slmg

Now save the edited img and open it in the app that made it, Toast, Disk copy, Shrinkwrap, you have to open it with the app not just double click on the img. It should work now if it doesn't go back make sure you typed it exactly as is above and it is case sensitive.

you may want to try and use diskCopy in OS X and see if you can convert the image to a .dmg file. that might work.

in diskcopy:

Go to Image > Convert Image.

I sugest that you make a copy of your orignal before you try anything.

jficca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
Boston, MA
thanks

So I downloaded the shrinkwrap demo from aladdin's web site only to get a message that the demo has expired. It seems a little odd that they would advertise demo software on their web site that is EXPIRED! Oh well, I'll have to find it some other way. Maybe I'll have to break down and just buy it. Too bad that it's not for os x. Nothing like buying software for an os that's almost obsolete. I'll give the resedit fix a shot tonight when I'm home.

Thanks for all the help. These boards are a great resource as well as a source for empathy.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: jficca

Originally posted by jficca
So I downloaded the shrinkwrap demo from aladdin's web site only to get a message that the demo has expired. It seems a little odd that they would advertise demo software on their web site that is EXPIRED! Oh well, I'll have to find it some other way. Maybe I'll have to break down and just buy it. Too bad that it's not for os x. Nothing like buying software for an os that's almost obsolete. I'll give the resedit fix a shot tonight when I'm home.

Thanks for all the help. These boards are a great resource as well as a source for empathy.

I dont even think that Aladin suports that app any more... Its has been arround with out an update for a very long time. e-mail me and I may beable to help you out........

jficca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
Boston, MA
partial fix

I tried a working version of shrinkwrap and it allows me to mount most but not all of the images. For those stubborn files I went into resedit to change their file type/creator prefs. The files didn't have a resource fork, so I created one then changed the type (I tried a few creators; toast, shrinkwrap, disk copy) but still no luck.
So it looks like I've reached the end of the road with these last few files. It looks like they are corrupt. Any final tips?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
sorry

That is the extent of my knowleg. Hope someone else can help you out. It sounds like the file is corrup and there is not much you can do about it. You can try running TechTools or Norton on your dirve and see if that helps.

other than that... im all tapped out. My only other advice... make more backups!

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.