PDA

View Full Version : dual 867 or 1 ghz power mac????

z2046
Mar 1, 2003, 11:36 AM
i'm new here and would like some wise advise from u all.

i need a mac to do graphic work. but i don't know if i should go with the dual 867 or the newer but only 1 processor 1 ghz....

which one would be faster for photoshop and maybe after effects??

also does anybody know if i can put in a second processor in the 1 ghz??

it's really hard to decide... some people say go with the dual and some say go with the 1 ghz.....

any comments would help!!

also, anybody know what monitor is better?? sony , viewsonic?

i saw a 19" CRT Nec monitor FI 991 i think... which goes for only 250 on macmall..... much cheaper than a 17" LCD.... which is what i want but can't afford....

thanks guys!!!

edesignuk
Mar 1, 2003, 11:40 AM
I'd go with the DP867 no matter what, but especially since your going to be using Photoshop since (I believe) it is optimised for dual processors. IMO the new low end single 1Ghz is a step back from the previous low end DP867.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 1, 2003, 11:48 AM
edisignuk is probably correct in your case the daulies. Otherworld computing did some recent reviews comparing newer cpu upgrades and older duallies systems that you may find interesting. I had made a post on this but i think it is gone called must read if your thinking of g4 upgrades . see eshop.macsales.com/reviews

Kwyjibo
Mar 1, 2003, 12:09 PM
Maybe since your looking at refurb machines consider a refurb dual 1ghz. I don't know what your price range is but it sounds liek u want the higher speed and duals so its something to think about. Otherwise I would go for the DP 867, the way I see it is that even the new iMac has a single ghz chip so how powerful can the single pmac be.

blackfox
Mar 1, 2003, 09:54 PM
Since I have been thinking along comparable lines...between your two choices I would go for the dual 867...but I have been considering buying an old AGP PM off ebay (you can get an old G4 400 for about $500-600 dollars), and gettting a powerlogix dual upgrade for it...Dual 900 is $800, dual 1000 is $900...anyway combined that is about the cost of the new 1Gz machine.
PLUSES:
1) Twice the L3 cache per processor(even the dual 867 I believe)
2)Recycling
3)More aesthetically pleasing(opinion)
4)faster(give or take) than either new(er) machine
5)RAM is cheaper...
MINUSES:
1)100mhz system bus versus 133(possibly 167)
2) no superdrive
3) need to upgrade video card (probably)
4) analog monitor connections
anyway, it all depends what you need and don't. Do you need a superdrive? Do you need a really good video card right now? Do you mostly use CRT monitors anyway? The Superdrive and video card can be added later if you wish...but you will have a fast machine for cheap...haven't decided myself, but put it out for consideration...

macphoria
Mar 1, 2003, 10:17 PM
If you are going to use After Effects, go with Dual 867.

TMJ1974
Mar 1, 2003, 11:13 PM
I upgraded from a single 733 to the dual 867, and I'll never go back to single (as long as the $$ holds out). This is very snappy and I have no complaints. The 1Ghz doesn't feel as snappy on my informal in store playing around. While not all programs take advantage of dual processors, the ones that do are the ones that can be painfully slow without.

Tim

MacPorter
Mar 2, 2003, 12:16 AM
www.powermax.com has the Apple Studio 15" LCD for US$388. If you heart is set on a LCD, that is a great price. I bought a refurb 15" from powermax for the same price two months ago and I couldn't be happier with it.

I don't use Photoshop (use and love GIMP), but it is designed to take advantage of both processors and Altivec. Photoshop was one of a few apps listed on Apple's website that take advantage of the duallies. I can't find that list since the FW800 update to the Power Mac section.

I have a DP867 and it is quite fast. OSX is optimized for the DPs, as are the iapps. Based on limited play in the Apple Store with the single processor units, I think you would notice and appreciate the difference.

Good luck and enjoy.

steeleclipse
Mar 2, 2003, 12:26 AM
DUAL 867 BABY YEAH!

I have a dual 867 and it is A LOT faster than a 1 Ghz (I tested). Most common OS X apps are now optimized for multi-processor support. If a certain one isnt optimized yet, it most likely will the next update from that company. Apple is stuck in the speed war, so Dual CPU's is the fix for right now (which I have NO porblem with)

Don't let anybody tell you different: Close to nothing slows these babies down.. a Gig of RAM helps :D

steeleclipse
Mar 2, 2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by blackfox
Since I have been thinking along comparable lines...between your two choices I would go for the dual 867...but I have been considering buying an old AGP PM off ebay (you can get an old G4 400 for about $500-600 dollars), and gettting a powerlogix dual upgrade for it...Dual 900 is $800, dual 1000 is $900...anyway combined that is about the cost of the new 1Gz machine.
PLUSES:
1) Twice the L3 cache per processor(even the dual 867 I believe)
2)Recycling
3)More aesthetically pleasing(opinion)
4)faster(give or take) than either new(er) machine
5)RAM is cheaper...
MINUSES:
1)100mhz system bus versus 133(possibly 167)
2) no superdrive
3) need to upgrade video card (probably)
4) analog monitor connections
anyway, it all depends what you need and don't. Do you need a superdrive? Do you need a really good video card right now? Do you mostly use CRT monitors anyway? The Superdrive and video card can be added later if you wish...but you will have a fast machine for cheap...haven't decided myself, but put it out for consideration...

dollar for dollar. the dual offerings from powerlogix are ripoffs... let them stick to cube enhancements

andrewlandry
Mar 2, 2003, 02:04 AM
Go for older duals over the new single. Seriously check out refurbished Powermacs like this dual gig for $1,899 w/Superdrive.

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate.cgi?i=PM_CR_G4&t=Refurb+G4+Systems

I know it's more than $1,500 for the new low-end, but it's a much better value - and certainly a better value than buying an old G4 and putting an upgrade into it. I'm sure there are refurbished dual 867s too, I just had this link handy.

Good luck :)

z2046
Mar 2, 2003, 09:00 PM
thank you guys!! i've decided to go with the dual 867.

your advice is great appreciated!

Wano
Mar 5, 2003, 11:58 AM
Here check this out http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70703/wo/fm2JXhZtctqD23hlWxc1qZ1xuuo/0.3.0.3.27.7.0.SpecialDealsFrontPagePromo.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?59,54
if you scroll down to powermacs they have dual 867mhz G4 for $1299 and dual 1ghz with superdrive for $1699.