PDA

View Full Version : iBook upgrading-best bang for buck?

Naimfan
Jun 27, 2006, 11:42 AM
All--

I finally got sick of not having a laptop and won a 12" iBook on eBay. It is a 1.2 GHz G4 with the stock 256 RAM and 30 Gb hard drive. Obviously the RAM needs to be bumped. Question is how much difference will there be from 768 to 1.25 Gb? I ask because I also would like to change the hard drive to a 60 or 80 Gb one, and need to economize. Also, which hard drive would be suitable? I remember reading a lot about about a Hitachi 60 Gb 5400 RPM drive--I think the 7K60?--would that be appropo?

Also, how hard is changing the hard drive out on an iBook? I'm quite mechanical, and have a variety of the right size tools, but if I have to disassemble the entire machine I might just pay someone else to do it....

TIA,

Bob

livingfortoday
Jun 27, 2006, 12:18 PM
More RAM is always good, but if you're not doing any high-end work with lots of apps, you should be fine with what you've got. I would recommend the 7200rpm drive, however. It'll make your iBook feel a lot faster.

Installing it's a pain, though, as you have to take the whole dang iBook apart. There's guides to walk you through at ifixit.com, though, and you can get a taste of what you're in for.