Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
It says there are 2 slots for ram in the new iMac and it says only one is accessible to the user. How do I get access to the other slot? Can I?

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Take it in

You shouldn't access the slot yourself... Doing so detaches crucial thermal sinks in your case, which many here have let me know when I asked the same question. You will need torx screwdrivers, the ability to live with voiding your warrantee, and special Thermal Pads (which MUST be replaced if you open your imac beyond the user serviceable panel!!!). Once you have all of that then there is a slot on the motherboard for a standard PC100 SDRAM chip (up to 512mb).

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I just plain suggest not opening the bottom case other than the user servicable part too. There are so many fragile compnents in there, that if you do not line up the bottom and top cases correcly when putting it back together, you have a "not-worth-it" chance of ruining a component or hurting a cable. Also, the heat transfering issue too should be enough to stop you there.

I was a service tech, quitting just recently to go back to college, but if you don't have the Apple service stuff to do it, don't even waste your time. Have them do it, or BTO it that way, even the bottom slot too, max it all out when you get it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.