PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading HD in PowerBook G4 12"

ghall
Jun 28, 2006, 10:50 AM
I want to upgrade my PowerBook G4 12" hard drive from 80 GB to the highest capacity possible. What's the highest capacity I can upgrade my hard drive to, and where can I get this done the cheapest? Any help whould be appreciated. Also, do you think it's worth upgrading my PowerBook now, or saving up enough cash to upgrade to a MacBook or MacBook Pro?

ghall
Jun 28, 2006, 11:46 AM
Anybody?

mad jew
Jun 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
I believe 160GB is the largest notebook drive at the moment, but I could be wrong. I'll do it for free for you, but you can pay postage and I don't guaranty I won't b0rk it. I've got no idea where you live and therefore no idea how much it'll cost, let alone the currency. Alternatively, you could try it yourself, following this guide (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/53.11.0.html).

However, upgrading from 80GB is probably a waste of money. For much less money-per-GB, I'd get an external drive or stow the money away for a new Intel laptop as you said. :)

Chimo
Jul 15, 2006, 01:44 PM
I contacted two Apple authorised resellers and service agents in the UK and received two different answers. One said that the largest HD available for the 12" G4 was 100 GB (which was curious considering that Apple offered a 120 GB option on original purchase). The second quoted me 175 for a 160 GB Seagate hard drive, plus the option of putting the old 80 GB into a case with a USB lead so that it could be used as an external hard drive. The UK is expensive and so for '' read '$'. If your Powerbook does all that you want it too then I think that it would be worth the upgrade rather than changing to a Macbook or Macbook Pro. That is what I am planning to do (and I bought my 12" Powerbook one week before they disappeared off the Apple menu).

REDSRT4
Jul 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
You should be able to go to 160 as far as i know.

California
Jul 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
160gb is biggest laptop drive right now. However, the 200gb laptop drive wars just started with Fujistu. I'd hold off after the summer. I've seen laptop drive prices plummet in one year -- from 250 dollars for a 60gig 7200rpm Travelstar to 99 dollars. Hold on for a few months. That's what I'm doing. Meanwhile, I have a 100gb 7200 travlestar in my old Tibook that is blazing fast. Personally, I'm waiting for the 160gb 7200rpm drives. That's something to wait for. Currently any drive over 100gb is only 5400 rpm.