PDA

View Full Version : I got 200 points!

jethroted
Mar 1, 2003, 09:11 PM
Well I started crunching last sunday, and I'm happy to say that I helped bring in 200 points for the team this week. I got my bro to set up some cpu's at work, and he's getting some friends in on it too. Good work guys!

Stelliform
Mar 1, 2003, 10:14 PM
I just joined also. I don't think I will be able to catch up to you! However mabey you can boost the team to take back its position.

It seems that the team is slipping. Are we slowing down as a team? Or is the competition speeding up?

MrMacMan
Mar 1, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
I just joined also. I don't think I will be able to catch up to you! However mabey you can boost the team to take back its position.

It seems that the team is slipping. Are we slowing down as a team? Or is the competition speeding up?

what the hell... how long have you been folding?

Yeah Littlewhite dog passed up and so did some other team but we are gonna pass 2 teams so no biggy.

Our competition is speeding up that seems to be the problem.

Stelliform
Mar 2, 2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
what the hell... how long have you been folding?

Not even a week yet. This weekend I am folding on several extra machines that are not my own. (Computers left at my office by clients.) Lets just say that I am stress testing them. :) The PC command line version is pretty clean. I will just delete the directory before giving them back their computers. However in the meantime, they will have completed 3 to 4 work units for me. :)

(I would have finished another WU last night, but the PC it was running on crashed.) :rolleyes: However my powerbook finished its first wu an hour ago. It is running much faster since I turned off Aquamon.

MrMacMan
Mar 2, 2003, 10:04 AM
I didn't think long.

howard
Mar 2, 2003, 03:46 PM
sheesh i've been folding for a few months and i havn't broken the 200pts barrier yet. btw guys, our daily rate is competing with lwd's we could pass them up if things continue to grow as they have been

MrMacMan
Mar 2, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by howard
sheesh i've been folding for a few months and i havn't broken the 200pts barrier yet. btw guys, our daily rate is competing with lwd's we could pass them up if things continue to grow as they have been

Suuureee. :rolleyes:
Next you can say we are catching up with MSU_ACM, HA!
Little is out crunching us by 390.
MacNN is out crunching us by 210.
PimpRig - 210
Russia by 20

We are gaining on : Mods4Me
Team Alberta
Hong Kong Team

Other teams are far off.

jethroted
Mar 2, 2003, 08:50 PM
We are going to be number one eventually. I have some heavy duty unix guys climbing on board in the next couple days. Heavy amounts of computing comming. We should see a big jump in our scores in a bit.

mc68k
Mar 3, 2003, 01:50 AM
jethroted: you're on mark to be one of the top 5 folders for this team. its been a pleasure to see your output grow to the point its at now.

having those unix guys aboard would be a blessing to this team. our output has increased by a large amount with yours and others help.

nothing but :) here. ur help is appreiciated!

phampton81
Mar 3, 2003, 02:45 AM
Hi, I've been folding for only a few days now, but what seemed weird to me was that the 3 WU's I have completed average almost 20 points a piece, however looking at most peoples point totals/WU completed the average is like 5-10 points per WU or less. Did I just happen to get more complex proteins to fold, was it a coincedence, and is there some way to control how complex of a WU you get? Thanks

Over Achiever
Mar 3, 2003, 08:33 AM
The bigger proteins have just been available recently.

Well not so recently as I've been crunching on a 73 point protein for over a month now.:D

When I've done w/ that protein, I'll be able to jump seven spots and approach the 300 pt. mark! Oh yeah!

Considering i'm crunching on a 200 MHz and 550 MHz computer, i'd say persistance and patience pays off.

mc68k
Mar 3, 2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by phampton81
...however looking at most peoples point totals/WU completed the average is like 5-10 points per WU or less.
...is there some way to control how complex of a WU you get?no way to control the WU you get. you might be able to delete the folder where it stores the work everytime and hope that it gives you a new one the next time, but ive never cared enough to do this.

when i first started folding last year, the proteins were worth like .6 and 5. so at ~10000 WU and ~50000 points later i finally got to a ~5 point average. so the ppl who have started folding more recently have a much higher crunch average than those who have been around for a while.

thanks for helping out the team, we're really starting to be competitive again. :D

jethroted
Mar 4, 2003, 07:33 AM
Yeah! I hit the 400 point mark!

bousozoku
Mar 4, 2003, 05:12 PM
Congratulations! :)

<feels threatened> :D

MrMacMan
Mar 4, 2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Congratulations! :)

<feels threatened> :D

haha, he just has too many computers to compete with.

Its okay. ;)

jethroted
Mar 4, 2003, 05:59 PM
I don't have too many computers, but I've leeched on to anyones computer i can get my hands on!;)

Everyone should do that! Most people will let you do it. You would be supprised.

bousozoku
Mar 4, 2003, 09:47 PM
I think I'm at the highest position, #9, with only one (dual processor) computer. It still makes me feel pretty good, but I can hear the hoardes on their way.

jethroted
Mar 5, 2003, 08:51 AM
516! I am on a roll!

*Sorry for my lame posts*

MrMacMan
Mar 5, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
516! I am on a roll!

hehe, I'm sure your gonna get way up there.

I'll see if I can leach off my friend for a week or two... :D

bousozoku
Mar 5, 2003, 06:24 PM
516! I am on a roll!

It looks like it's gotten you past MacRumors Newbie too. :D

jethroted
Mar 5, 2003, 07:06 PM
I sure have!;)

Mr. Anderson
Mar 6, 2003, 09:40 AM
Well, I can now say I've joined the 200+ club!

But jethroted, you're doing damn good, already at just below 600!! Nice. How many machines do you have working for you?

D

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 11:02 AM
I don't even know. 9? My brother let me use some of his, and his friends. It is somewhere around 9 or 10. I've done pretty good for a week and a half. I made it to top 25 for the team. I would like to get in the top 10.

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 12:03 PM
I don't even know. 9? My brother let me use some of his, and his friends. It is somewhere around 9 or 10. I've done pretty good for a week and a half. I made it to top 25 for the team. I would like to get in the top 10. quick ascension in the ranks is fun, but after a while you even out, and there's not as much excitement. enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Mr. Anderson
Mar 6, 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
quick ascension in the ranks is fun, but after a while you even out, and there's not as much excitement. enjoy it while it lasts. :)

spoken from someone firmly entrenched at #1 for the team with no real possibility of being caught :D

D

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
spoken from someone firmly entrenched at #1 for the team with no real possibility of being caught :D

D except for that guy with 3000 machines. :D

Mr. Anderson
Mar 6, 2003, 12:25 PM
except for that guy with 3000 machines. :D

yeah, sure - I'll believe that one when I see it....:D

D

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 12:42 PM
I just hope he actually gets them on board. That would give this team a kick ass boost.

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 12:45 PM
quick ascension in the ranks is fun, but after a while you even out, and there's not as much excitement. enjoy it while it lasts. :)

ya, but I can always fight my way up the total ranks for whole project.

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 12:50 PM
ya, but I can always fight my way up the total ranks for whole project. yep that's what you have to do after a while. fight it out with those OCers from [H]ard, etc. but you don't really know the ppl you are rising up against :(

its fun to see if you can get within the top 10 for a specific protein too (like the 73 pointers).

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 01:58 PM
yeah, sure - I'll believe that one when I see it....:D

D

Yeah me too, Unless he brings them your gonna stay firmly planted to your spot.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 6, 2003, 02:00 PM

its fun to see if you can get within the top 10 for a specific protein too (like the 73 pointers).

What protein is 73 pts!!!! ouch! and how long do you have to crunch it?

D

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 04:16 PM
If you want to know point values for WU's check this page.

http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

Rower_CPU
Mar 6, 2003, 04:21 PM

D

Only because I let him. ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Only because I let him. ;)

Maybe so, but (not trying to let take the machines from mc68k) he is still on top.

When the 'Supercomputer' project happens or the '3000 machines' project happens, I'll be very happy.

Over Achiever
Mar 6, 2003, 06:18 PM
What protein is 73 pts!!!! ouch! and how long do you have to crunch it?
I have that protein. You have a 50 day deadline, and its been over a month for me on my 550 MHz laptop, stil crunching away.

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
I have that protein. You have a 50 day deadline, and its been over a month for me on my 550 MHz laptop, stil crunching away.

How much (%) have you completed? :eek:

howard
Mar 6, 2003, 06:42 PM
my climb has been slow, but with my 700mhz ibook i'm still getting better and better in the macrumors team..by like 1 or 2 slots a week. ALMOST in the top 50...

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever

I did that one too. It took 5 days on my 800 mhz AMD Duron. It was awsome to get all those points when I finished though.

MaxArturo
Mar 6, 2003, 07:51 PM
Haha! Very cool!

bousozoku
Mar 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
I did that one too. It took 5 days on my 800 mhz AMD Duron. It was awsome to get all those points when I finished though.

Oh geez...now I feel sick. I estimated almost 14 days on my dual 800...it's only on one processor but still...eeeek.

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
Only 5 days?
:eek:
The gromac core will sure help, but I mean is there nothing that we as mac users can do from getting ignored like this?

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 08:53 PM
I'm over 600! Here is some SPAM!

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 08:54 PM

Stelliform
Mar 6, 2003, 09:40 PM
I'm over 600! Here is some SPAM!

Looks like I am going to have to open a can of whoop *** on his posterior. I have added a few new computers, (Although my home computer is still down. I will have to fix it this weekend.) I just remembered an old server that one of my clients has just running. (I took it offline ages ago, however it was left in the rack because it was big and on the bottom. And I left it running for reasons I do not know. Anyway, now it is folding 24x7. The other servers that crunch for me, only do it at night.

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 09:48 PM
Looks like I am going to have to open a can of whoop *** on his posterior. I have added a few new computers, (Although my home computer is still down. I will have to fix it this weekend.) I just remembered an old server that one of my clients has just running. (I took it offline ages ago, however it was left in the rack because it was big and on the bottom. And I left it running for reasons I do not know. Anyway, now it is folding 24x7. The other servers that crunch for me, only do it at night.

That would be cool! I would like to see the race to the top have more people aiming for it! That would help push the group over the top.

Stelliform
Mar 6, 2003, 10:02 PM
Yep, heathly competition....

(BTW the servers I mention are really not much faster than your average workstation. Having redundant power and RAID 5 doesn't speed up crunching on a 1Ghz PIII. I just don't want to discourage the people who are pumping out WU on a G3 500.

If every person who read MacRumors once a week, folded, we would easily shoot past the closest teams. 100 people pumping out units on their single machine could easily push our team into the top 30.

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 10:14 PM
Good idea, but impossible to work. Many people don't like the idea of running something like this. :( I don't understand why though...

BTW, Stelliform your signature has a non-clickable like (pretty sure your aware) and two the link is http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=3446
\\ is the wrong slash.

P.S Good going mc68k :
10,000 WU, :D

mc68k
Mar 6, 2003, 10:18 PM
P.S Good going mc68k :
10,000 WU, :D just doing my part. what makes me happy is all those second processor WU that i didn't fold myself, but are a direct result of my intervention. :)

Stelliform
Mar 6, 2003, 10:24 PM

BTW, Stelliform your signature has a non-clickable like (pretty sure your aware) and two the link is http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=3446
\\ is the wrong slash.

P.S Good going mc68k :
10,000 WU, :D

:D It was late when I changed that. I didn't even notice the slashes and I didn't feel like figuring out the link. (I know pure laziness.. ) But it is fixed now.

jethroted
Mar 6, 2003, 10:57 PM

Here is your can-0-whoop @ss! Although I think I'll be the one to open it up!

Stelliform
Mar 7, 2003, 07:30 AM
Here is your can-0-whoop @ss! Although I think I'll be the one to open it up!

LOL, you have a whole collection of perverted food labels!

Well, I am going to have to see if I can get a few more CPU's on-line now. Just to prove you wrong. :D

Stelliform
Mar 7, 2003, 07:33 AM
OK, I just found a CASE of Whoop a** (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/3669/) to open up!

I wonder if that stuff in any way improves processing?

jethroted
Mar 7, 2003, 07:43 AM
It helps speed up your @ss getting kicked!:p

jethroted
Mar 7, 2003, 08:59 AM
Oh man! I was just reading one of my logs on my dual PIII, and my second copy of F@H had been registering my username as "y" this whole time. I should have over 100 points more than I do now! Crap! I can't believe it. Oh well I guess I can look at it like I just added another computer to my arsenal. But I want those points!

jethroted
Mar 8, 2003, 07:34 AM
Well, when I first made this post a week ago it was the end of my first week of folding. I had brought in 200 points. One week later (today) I'm up to 768 points! I am happy to have helped the team this much. And thanks to everyone who let me "borrow" their computer!

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 10:30 AM
jethroted
That was a 3 post in a row spree. Please atleast Edit your post if you got something to say,

jethroted
Mar 8, 2003, 11:05 AM
well they were posted apart from each other. My last post was a day after the second. No one was around to comment.

bousozoku
Mar 8, 2003, 12:13 PM
jethroted
That was a 3 post in a row spree. Please atleast Edit your post if you got something to say,

Haven't you noticed? He was on a quest to get out of Newbieville. :D

I think it's a long trip to the next town though, right? Is it 100 or 500? I keep forgetting. :D

Stelliform
Mar 8, 2003, 02:44 PM
Haven't you noticed? He was on a quest to get out of Newbieville. :D

I think it's a long trip to the next town though, right? Is it 100 or 500? I keep forgetting. :D

500 to make it to an avatar. I still like my idea of Work Units for Post points. :)

(That is one less post I need to make it to avatar. Only around 275 to go.) :D

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 08:47 PM
500 to make it to an avatar. I still like my idea of Work Units for Post points. :)

(That is one less post I need to make it to avatar. Only around 275 to go.) :D

Ha look what I use as an Avatar. :p

Oh yeah creative.

howard
Mar 8, 2003, 09:33 PM
sheesh i've been folding for months and i just got to 200 pts. i'll just have to keep going and maybe a year from now i'll be in the top ten

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 09:43 PM
sheesh i've been folding for months and i just got to 200 pts. i'll just have to keep going and maybe a year from now i'll be in the top ten
Me and you both. :D

I got one comp on 24/7 that is working its heart out and I can't seem to get very far. :rolleyes:
I'll be at 200 soon.

jethroted
Mar 8, 2003, 10:26 PM
Don't feel bad, I have close to 15 computers running all day. I'm not doing this under one system. Every bit helps the team!

MrMacMan
Mar 8, 2003, 10:33 PM
Don't feel bad, I have close to 15 computers running all day. I'm not doing this under one system. Every bit helps the team!

Go away we are wimpering over here.

you go get up to the top 3 will you already. :p :D

jethroted
Mar 9, 2003, 08:00 AM
Top 3?!? I'm going for the top 1!:D *I wish I had that much power!*

Rower_CPU
Mar 9, 2003, 11:46 AM
Top 3?!? I'm going for the top 1!:D *I wish I had that much power!*

Ha! Unless you get a lab going...;):p

jethroted
Mar 9, 2003, 12:39 PM
Ya, maybe I can find a lab. One with 3000 computers! HaHaHa........;)

MrMacMan
Mar 9, 2003, 03:19 PM
Ya, maybe I can find a lab. One with 3000 computers! HaHaHa........;)

Sure you can... sure you can.

jethroted
Mar 9, 2003, 10:11 PM
I know. I will bow my head in shame now.:( There is no hope for me getting my hands on a lab. But maybe! :( No...There is no maybe.

MrMacMan
Mar 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
I know. I will bow my head in shame now.:( There is no hope for me getting my hands on a lab. But maybe! :( No...There is no maybe.
So I think I might go on 'covert opperations' to my libary and school and force them to get on Mac Os X and to keep the comps on all day (which they do anyway) I'll hide the terminal line and they will never know what happened. :D

jethroted
Mar 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
That's a good idea. Don't get caught!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! I hit past the 1000 point mark today! Yay!

MrMacMan
Mar 10, 2003, 07:30 PM
That's a good idea. Don't get caught!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! I hit past the 1000 point mark today! Yay!
Nah the terminal '&' command should take care of that. :D

jethroted
Mar 10, 2003, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah.....that's the good stuff.

mc68k
Mar 10, 2003, 09:52 PM
That's a good idea. Don't get caught!what would they say...

we caught u folding. ur expelled for trying to help cure disease with our machines!

seriously, i wouldn't worry about it. most techs have no idea about such details. but do know ur techs b4 u jump in to such an endeavour.

MrMacMan
Mar 10, 2003, 09:57 PM
what would they say...

we caught u folding. ur expelled for trying to help cure disease with our machines!

HOW COULD YOU HELP PEOPLE ON OUR 99.9 % IDLE MACHINES HOW DARE YOU!
;)
I think I'll talk to the techies at my school and see what they think about Os X.

They probably don't know apple made a new os. :eek:

howard
Mar 10, 2003, 10:00 PM
hey i need to learn how to do this on windows, how to make it so it automatically starts up and then hides itself. does anyone know?

MrMacMan
Mar 10, 2003, 10:55 PM
hey i need to learn how to do this on windows, how to make it so it automatically starts up and then hides itself. does anyone know?

kinda answerd here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=19901)

jethroted
Mar 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
1200 Points!

Rower_CPU
Mar 11, 2003, 11:26 AM
1200 Points!

:rolleyes: 21,000 :p

jethroted
Mar 11, 2003, 03:55 PM
:rolleyes: 21,000 :p

I'm comming for you Rower! ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 11, 2003, 04:11 PM

Rower you better not discourage super active members! :D

I think overnight I passed the '200' mark:
59 Mrmacman 208.68 15
Team placement, username, points, WU
yup. finally.

Stelliform
Mar 11, 2003, 05:05 PM

I am coming after you jethroted! ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 11, 2003, 05:26 PM

Not saying your output is bad, but he is outpacing you by like 700 points. :rolleyes:

jethroted
Mar 11, 2003, 06:17 PM

I'm coming after you Stelliform! ;)

Wait, does that work if I'm past him already? Oh well, I'm comming after you anyway! I think. :confused:

bousozoku
Mar 11, 2003, 06:21 PM
I'm coming after you Stelliform! ;)

Wait, does that work if I'm past him already? Oh well, I'm comming after you anyway! I think. :confused:

Didn't I already discuss that kind of thing? :D

Now, I do have to get you. Maybe tomorrow...maybe the next day. :D

Rower_CPU
Mar 11, 2003, 06:29 PM
Rower you better not discourage super active members! :D

Nah, just putting him in his place a little. ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 11, 2003, 09:35 PM
Nah, just putting him in his place a little. ;)

ah. You know the first 3 spots once jethroted gets there are gonna stay there forever. All the spots under are un-decided. :D

I'll check the libary and school comps over weekend check if any run Os X. :(

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2003, 09:39 PM
It funny to see how competetive its all getting...;)

But in the end we all win you know....

D

jethroted
Mar 11, 2003, 09:41 PM
ah. You know the first 3 spots once jethroted gets there are gonna stay there forever. All the spots under are un-decided. :D

I'll check the libary and school comps over weekend check if any run Os X. :(

I wouldn't say that for sure. Alot of the power I have now is from borrowed computers. I could lose them at any time if the owner decides to get rid of folding. Really it's a guessing game. The only ones I have no matter what are the 2 I have at home and the 3 I have at work. Those are the only ones I have access to daily.

MrMacMan
Mar 11, 2003, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't say that for sure. Alot of the power I have now is from borrowed computers. I could lose them at any time if the owner decides to get rid of folding. Really it's a guessing game. The only ones I have no matter what are the 2 I have at home and the 3 I have at work. Those are the only ones I have access to daily.

Oh no, instead of 12 comps (?) you will have 5. Acually that would suck. :mad:

Remember folding justs uses the inactive CPU.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 12, 2003, 06:02 AM
So I just jumped up over 300 points thanks to a 70 pointer - I'm still amazed at the new points scheme....I think my first WU got me .6 points ;)

D

jethroted
Mar 12, 2003, 07:32 AM
Oh no, instead of 12 comps (?) you will have 5. Acually that would suck. :mad:

Remember folding justs uses the inactive CPU.

I think I have more than 12 right now, but yeah, I could lose all of them but 5. I don't think that would happen (losing all of them.) but you never know. Let's just enjoy the point gain while it lasts!

bousozoku
Mar 12, 2003, 03:07 PM
So I just jumped up over 300 points thanks to a 70 pointer - I'm still amazed at the new points scheme....I think my first WU got me .6 points ;)

D

Great! :) I think you were on that 79.76 point mesa for the longest time.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 12, 2003, 03:17 PM
Great! :) I think you were on that 79.76 point mesa for the longest time.

For some reason the version of folding I was using last year really wasn't all that good. This new version is much better and I'll be crunching for a while now. It had been farting and loosing data, so I sort of gave up. But now that I have the dual 1.25 I've been getting all the machines up and going again.

D :D

jethroted
Mar 13, 2003, 09:05 AM
I broke 1500 points today! Yay! :D

Zeke
Mar 13, 2003, 09:38 AM
I used to use Seti@Home but then realized that Folding presents a more realistic problem to be attacked with my mighty computer. However, with SETI I could see progress and it would pick up where it left off if I quit the program. I'm running command line versions in OS X and I quit one to see if it would tell me progress. However, when I relaunched it it said :

Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_04.dyn
[15:33:58] Starting from initial work packet
[15:33:58]
[15:33:58] Protein: P631_vmut_ext
[15:33:58] - Run: 134217728 (Clone 939524096, Gen 33554432)
[15:33:58] - Frames Completed: 0, Remaining: 200
[15:33:58] - Dynamic steps required: 5000000
[15:33:58] Writing local files:
[15:33:58] parameters work/wudata_04.prm
[15:33:58] - Writing "work/wudata_04.key": (overwrite) successful.
[15:33:58] - Writing "work/wudata_04.xyz": (overwrite)

I also haven't seen any change since I've started. My computer is a DP 1Ghz. Seems odd to me that it's taking so long. How can you tell what WU you're working on and how many pts its worth? Thanks for your help in advance.

jethroted
Mar 13, 2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Zeke
I used to use Seti@Home but then realized that Folding presents a more realistic problem to be attacked with my mighty computer. However, with SETI I could see progress and it would pick up where it left off if I quit the program. I'm running command line versions in OS X and I quit one to see if it would tell me progress. However, when I relaunched it it said :

I also haven't seen any change since I've started. My computer is a DP 1Ghz. Seems odd to me that it's taking so long. How can you tell what WU you're working on and how many pts its worth? Thanks for your help in advance.

Well let's look at what you have here. On the line that says "Protein: P631_vmut_ext" that would be the protein you are working on. If you want to see how many points it's worth go here: http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html
This one you are working on is worth about 50 points. That will run very slow on a G4. Folding does not have support for altivec yet, and G4's need that to really shine in folding. Also if you are running a DP, it only uses one for folding. You have to set it up to run one client on each processor.

Rower_CPU
Mar 13, 2003, 10:38 AM
Zeke:
You can find answers to a lot of questions on our new FAQ page -
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21908

bousozoku
Mar 13, 2003, 12:09 PM

I've got one with a similar timeframe and point value. I calculated my dual 800 to take 7.7 days for it, running 24/7, as it's taking 66 minutes per frame.

To check your progress, you have to go into the work directory and check the logfile_xx.txt file where xx is the number of the WU...in your case 04. I'm currently working on a graphical monitor which will make it much simpler. Screenshots and a textual version are available in this forum.

jethroted
Mar 13, 2003, 01:18 PM
I've got one with a similar timeframe and point value. I calculated my dual 800 to take 7.7 days for it, running 24/7, as it's taking 66 minutes per frame.

To check your progress, you have to go into the work directory and check the logfile_xx.txt file where xx is the number of the WU...in your case 04. I'm currently working on a graphical monitor which will make it much simpler. Screenshots and a textual version are available in this forum.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that slow. My 1Ghz PIII does that one at 31 min/frame, and 42 min/frame for the 70 pointer. I can't tell how many min/frame my 1.8 Ghz P4 does though. It does not keep a log anymore. I don't really know why.

Zeke
Mar 13, 2003, 09:11 PM
My problem isn't that it's taking a long time. If you look in the log it says:

Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_05.dyn
[03:07:28] Starting from initial work packet

So if I kill the process and start it again I've lost all the work that was done. I just tried mc68k's setup so we'll see if that works.

bousozoku
Mar 13, 2003, 09:18 PM
My problem isn't that it's taking a long time. If you look in the log it says:

Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_05.dyn
[03:07:28] Starting from initial work packet

So if I kill the process and start it again I've lost all the work that was done. I just tried mc68k's setup so we'll see if that works.

It will always say starting from initial work packet prior to completing the first frame. After that, you'll see something about checkpoint and restart.

If it takes a particularly long time to complete each work unit, you might be killing the process before even one has been finished. I'm not sure how long you're waiting, but I would suggest waiting an hour or so before killing it.

You could always clean out the work folder and let the client download another protein to fold once everything else has been exhausted.

Zeke
Mar 13, 2003, 09:22 PM
Before that happened it had completed 56 frames of 400 (shown at the bottom of the log). I haven't completed the work unit yet but if it starts at the beginning doesn't that mean it's negating everything that's already been done. That had been running all day when I killed it and restarted. Thanks again.

bousozoku
Mar 13, 2003, 09:27 PM
Before that happened it had completed 56 frames of 400 (shown at the bottom of the log). I haven't completed the work unit yet but if it starts at the beginning doesn't that mean it's negating everything that's already been done. That had been running all day when I killed it and restarted. Thanks again.

I've heard of a few of these from time-to-time. If it were me, I'd probably be deleting things and starting over.

Please keep folding though!

jethroted
Mar 14, 2003, 09:22 PM
1800!!! I will stop doing this soon.... Really.

bousozoku
Mar 14, 2003, 10:24 PM
1800!!! I will stop doing this soon.... Really.

Sure, when you get to 500 posts and can upload your avatar.

Maybe a moderator should stop you now.

Stelliform
Mar 14, 2003, 11:12 PM
Sure, when you get to 500 posts and can upload your avatar.

Maybe a moderator should stop you now.

Now Now, Let's not take offense. If I could crunch that fast I would rub it in your noses too. :p Besides y'all don't know the lengths jethroted goes to for the team. . . . You should get him to tell you if he will.....

MrMacMan
Mar 14, 2003, 11:32 PM
Now Now, Let's not take offense. If I could crunch that fast I would rub it in your noses too. :p Besides y'all don't know the lengths jethroted goes to for the team. . . . You should get him to tell you if he will.....

I can imagine:

I borrowed my sisters friends neighbors comp for the month. :o

jethroted
Mar 15, 2003, 07:20 AM

Hey. That's hush hush there Stelli. No more funny talk, or I'll send some goomba's after ya! ;) It was an experimental phase of my life. I tried a couple things, but they're behind me now. People in college were doing all kinds of things at that time. I can't be held accountable for all my goings-ons.

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2003, 07:32 AM

I'm not taking offence. We're not supposed to spam the forums.

Xerov
Mar 15, 2003, 02:32 PM
To use Folding on multiple computers do I just input the same info when it askes (like User name and Team number) Im number 28 with 1 CPU and looking to add more :)

jethroted
Mar 15, 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Xerov
To use Folding on multiple computers do I just input the same info when it askes (like User name and Team number) Im number 28 with 1 CPU and looking to add more :)

Yes, just put the same info in any computer.

Hemingray
Mar 15, 2003, 07:54 PM
Yeesh, all of us with one-man-bands (a.k.a. one CPU) are eventually going to get our you-know-whats kicked by people running multiple comps!

Oh well, for me the competition sorta lost its glitter after a few months or so, now I just fold to fold, I don't really care where I rank anymore. I know I'm doing my part and that's good enough for me. :)

Competition is good, just as long as you remember what we're fighting for and that we're all on the same side. ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 15, 2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Yeesh, all of us with one-man-bands (a.k.a. one CPU) are eventually going to get our you-know-whats kicked by people running multiple comps!

Oh well, for me the competition sorta lost its glitter after a few months or so, now I just fold to fold, I don't really care where I rank anymore. I know I'm doing my part and that's good enough for me. :)

Competition is good, just as long as you remember what we're fighting for and that we're all on the same side. ;)

Hemingray your 56th. :p
I too am a one man folding machine. Maybe soon I can get someother comps to start folding but it might take some time.

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2003, 09:01 PM

Indeed sir. It's been quite a long time since I've seen you post. Having too much fun or have I simply not noticed?

Hemingray
Mar 17, 2003, 12:39 AM
Indeed sir. It's been quite a long time since I've seen you post. Having too much fun or have I simply not noticed?

Nah, you're right, I just haven't been posting to the forums as much. I still visit MR every day, I guess I haven't seen much to comment on. :D

MrMacMan
Mar 17, 2003, 02:12 PM
Nah, you're right, I just haven't been posting to the forums as much. I still visit MR every day, I guess I haven't seen much to comment on. :D

*gasp* but there are more and more people on every day talking about everything from 'AHH MY COMP ERASED EVERYTHING' to 'BUSH IS GONNA BLOW UP THE WORLD' :D

Why not comment?

:waiting for your comment:

Hemingray
Mar 19, 2003, 02:54 PM
*gasp* but there are more and more people on every day talking about everything from 'AHH MY COMP ERASED EVERYTHING' to 'BUSH IS GONNA BLOW UP THE WORLD' :D

Why not comment?

:waiting for your comment:

:D

Well, having just purchased Dantz Retrospect, I don't personally have to worry about "AHH MY COMP ERASED EVERYTHING" and I rarely feel sorry for those who do, as they seem to be caused by user error more often than not, or by using some buggy beta. :p As for the political debates, well, I'm here for the Mac Rumors. :cool:

TROGDORRRR!!

bousozoku
Mar 19, 2003, 04:41 PM

Good to see you anyway, even if you are lurking in the shadows. :D

SilvorX
Mar 19, 2003, 05:40 PM
Well I started crunching last sunday, and I'm happy to say that I helped bring in 200 points for the team this week. I got my bro to set up some cpu's at work, and he's getting some friends in on it too. Good work guys!
a little off topic
but w00t, a fellow winnipegger :D, 2nd time i seen another manitoban on macrumors

jethroted
Mar 19, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SilvorX
a little off topic
but w00t, a fellow winnipegger :D, 2nd time i seen another manitoban on macrumors

Ha! I don't see that very often. What area do you live in? I'm in Osborne Village. I live in an apt. on the river!

SilvorX
Mar 19, 2003, 09:58 PM
Ha! I don't see that very often. What area do you live in? I'm in Osborne Village. I live in an apt. on the river!
i think ive been down there before (or near there), i live out near brandon, but i might be moving later this year
the only other macrumors member who ive seen from manitoba was from out near brandon as well, and related to some ppl i knew...strange lol

Hemingray
Mar 19, 2003, 11:37 PM
Good to see you anyway, even if you are lurking in the shadows. :D

Thanks man! :D

Yeesh, just got out of that Gore thread... got my dose of MacRumors AND politics at the same time... just can't get away from it can I! :p

Not to continue on that topic over here, but MAN some people seriously need to think twice before they hit submit. :rolleyes:

Stupid basta... uh, erm... :D

Rower_CPU
Mar 19, 2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks man! :D

Yeesh, just got out of that Gore thread... got my dose of MacRumors AND politics at the same time... just can't get away from it can I! :p

Not to continue on that topic over here, but MAN some people seriously need to think twice before they hit submit. :rolleyes:

Stupid basta... uh, erm... :D

Burninate them all! ;) :D

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 08:33 AM
i think ive been down there before (or near there), i live out near brandon, but i might be moving later this year
the only other macrumors member who ive seen from manitoba was from out near brandon as well, and related to some ppl i knew...strange lol

Brandon? That's even more suprising! I think you would be the first person online I've met from Brandon!

SilvorX
Mar 20, 2003, 08:58 PM
Brandon? That's even more suprising! I think you would be the first person online I've met from Brandon!
i've bumped into quite a few manitobans on the net, a few who i know personally as well..pretty creepy
its pretty hard to believe how many manitobans use macs, although a majority of manitobans use PC's of course, even the college in brandon (Assiniboine community college) is using macs now days
if only manitoba had more mac stores...

jethroted
Mar 21, 2003, 07:26 AM
i've bumped into quite a few manitobans on the net, a few who i know personally as well..pretty creepy
its pretty hard to believe how many manitobans use macs, although a majority of manitobans use PC's of course, even the college in brandon (Assiniboine community college) is using macs now days
if only manitoba had more mac stores...

I would settle for one Apple store!

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 07:45 AM
I would settle for one Apple store!

Apple store's are nice to visit, but in general, you can get better prices online or elsewhere. They're more like Mac Interactive Art Galleries ;)

D

jethroted
Mar 21, 2003, 08:30 AM
Apple store's are nice to visit, but in general, you can get better prices online or elsewhere. They're more like Mac Interactive Art Galleries ;)

D

You can get better prices elsewhere? How much sense does that make?

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 08:39 AM
You can get better prices elsewhere? How much sense does that make?

None really, but its still impressive seeing it all in front of you. I've been a few times to the local store here in DC - and only bought a few small items. For a computer, I'd get it on line or from general cybernetics.

D

MrMacMan
Mar 21, 2003, 05:00 PM
None really, but its still impressive seeing it all in front of you. I've been a few times to the local store here in DC - and only bought a few small items. For a computer, I'd get it on line or from general cybernetics.

D
Yeah most of the time apple wants to make a profit and raises the price for other (non-apple) items a little, plus there is tax. :(
Shipping is (most cases for me) less than tax.

SilvorX
Mar 21, 2003, 11:09 PM
i would love to have one apple store here, but all winnipeg will have till then is advance electronics, or else go down to minneapolis...but theres duties so it would be better just to buy at advance electronics, but compusmart sometimes sells macs (bought my mac at compusmart in brandon)