PDA

View Full Version : Future iBooks

macphoria
Mar 1, 2003, 10:33 PM
I'm sure we can all agree on 12 inch iBook continuing. But what about the others? Will 14 inch iBook continue? How about iBook smaller than 12 inch? Ultra sub-notebook perhaps? 10 inch iBook with 800x600 screen resolution maybe?

KingArthur
Mar 3, 2003, 01:33 AM
I am doubting we would see Apple even try to have a notebook with only a 800x600 screen right now b/c the functionality would be diminished (a lot of games and programs wouldn't be able to be run). I would expect us to see the iBook continue until we see a 970 powerbook, and that isn't going to be for a while. Probably see speed boosts (we know the G3 is operating well over 1ghz), and I would expect for them to keep the 14in model for the time being just for the sake of selling the slightly higher-end lower-end model;-). These are just my opinions

timbloom
Mar 3, 2003, 03:27 AM
Personally I think the iBooks will get a G4 when the towers go to the 970 chip. But I think the current iBooks are rather durable and good machines, the 14" needs a resolution boost, but unlikely apple will do it any time soon. The 12" is a great form factor. The main problems with iBooks today is the 12" powerbook, as now it is another model that the ibook can not be at least equal to in performance or functionality due to apple's own rules. I expect the ibook to stay relatively unchanged for a while till they put g4's in them finally. Don't expect another size of ibooks, apple, i thought, had already learned their lesson of not offering too many models of one machine... but they did it again...

daniel77
Mar 3, 2003, 08:41 AM
why not offer an uber-cheap g3 ibook, in like a 12'' model. but put a g4 in a high end 12'' and 14'' :eek: :)

jefhatfield
Mar 5, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by daniel77
why not offer an uber-cheap g3 ibook, in like a 12'' model. but put a g4 in a high end 12'' and 14'' :eek: :)

$799 us sounds good and the higher end ones could be $999 and up to $1299

and bring the powerbook 12" down to $1599 and the 15" tibook to $1999 and then i think the lineup will be in a good position to compete with wintel laptops

the wintel side already have a 1.7 ghz laptop, 14" inch screen for $799 and that can't be good for apple