PDA

View Full Version : Leopard To Include iChat-To-Phone? Other Leopard Info?

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2006, 06:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1846), iChat 4.0 (to be included with Mac OS 10.5 "Leopard") will include the capability to call traditional phone lines, much like existing VoIP top-dog Skype and betas from Microsoft and Google.

It should be noted that LoopRumors (http://www.looprumors.com/) had previously mentioned this capability as early as March 21st (http://looprumors.com/Pages/leopardinfo0321006.html) in their fourth installment of information pertaining to Leopard. The site then reiterated (http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?ichat-to-phone-home) its claims on June 21st, claiming that the information was coming from the same sources that gave their rather in-depth preview (http://www.looprumors.com/LeopardInfo.php) of Leopard.

We don't know whether AppleInsider's source is one of their more reliable sources, or whether it is a newer source that may be the same as LoopRumors. Going with the assumption, for now, that this is in fact a case of independent confirmation, then LoopRumors' other claims regarding Leopard may be more credible than at first thought.

Highlights of LoopRumors' Leopard Claims
- More transparancy
- Dashboard speed improvements
- Solid metal (iTunes 5+) theme throughout the user interface
- Tabbed iChat and whiteboarding (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060426003512.shtml)
- Remote control access (VNC-like)
- Finder enhancements, including increased Spotlight integration

LoopRumors has previously been considered unreliable. Amongst the site's proven innacurate claims are that phones created through Apple's Motorola partnership would include light versions of other iApps (http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?more-itunes-phones), and that Apple's 30th birthday would be marked by a 30th anniversary Mac (http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?30th-anniversary-mac).

Digg this story (http://digg.com/apple/Leopard_To_Include_iChat-To-Phone_Other_Leopard_Info)

jaxstate
Jun 28, 2006, 07:01 PM
If you're able to call a landline or a cell phone then it's cool. But if it's just PC to PC then, it's what we've been doing for years.

Bradley W
Jun 28, 2006, 07:03 PM
_

thejadedmonkey
Jun 28, 2006, 07:07 PM
Spotlight and Dashboard were the two major focuses of Tiger... I wonder what will be the new focus of Leopard.
It will be touted as the first release of OS X to have a unified interface :p

So Skype had this for $$, then they do it for free... Is it something that costs money? Will Apple be losing money if they did this? Oh the questions... Will this incorporate the iPhone?

zap2
Jun 28, 2006, 07:09 PM
LoopRumors, not really the best track record, but lots of these thing seem to be logical, and i would like to see it all

And Phone in iChat would be very cool.. and if it was free well it would plan out rock

iGary
Jun 28, 2006, 07:12 PM
None of this, aside form the consistent interface, excites me. :o

mi5moav
Jun 28, 2006, 07:12 PM
Kind of ironic that as soon as this news breaks, YAHOO decides it's time to release messenger 3.0!!! Very Strange after like 3 years... I guess Elvis isn't quite dead yet.

nagromme
Jun 28, 2006, 07:13 PM
I can believe it, but I doubt they'll give away long distance for free (as Skype is doing--but only temporarily). VoIP to regular phones will probably be for .Mac users.

hyperpasta
Jun 28, 2006, 07:20 PM
AppleInsider also claims a Google-Earth style program called "Maps". There was already a thread on this article:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=212721

longofest
Jun 28, 2006, 07:21 PM
AppleInsider also claims a Google-Earth style program called "Maps". There was already a thread on this article:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=212721

Yeah... we never got around to aggregating that one, but there will eventually be a Leopard rumor roundup, and I'm sure it will make it into that ;)

Object-X
Jun 28, 2006, 07:24 PM
This is the genesis of the iPhone! Apple will integrate this technology into a new iPod; and this x-generation iPod will become the rumored iPhone. I don't see Apple trying to create a product that already exists and has mass appeal; it's just not their style. They always go for something new or a radical re-imagining of something that already exists. In this case, the cell phone. VOIP (with video) and new high speed wireless networks are going to give traditional cell phones providers a run for their money. I think Apple will lead the way with this new technology and use the popularity of their iPod as the basis for it.

celebrian23
Jun 28, 2006, 07:24 PM
tabbed ichat excites me, but that's it. Ichat's a bit behind the other similar services, at least to me..

EricNau
Jun 28, 2006, 07:26 PM
I'm looking forward to the 'solid metal' interface. The brushed metal was getting old IMO.

Stridder44
Jun 28, 2006, 07:32 PM
I can't wait for the new Finder. Seriously.

The iPhones cool and all but...meh...I already have a phone that, astonishingly, makes calls. Unless it can do something incredible it's not worth it.

coolfactor
Jun 28, 2006, 07:33 PM
This is just the beginning.

I believe the iPhone will double as a VOIP phone. At home, it would seamlessly connect to the base Mac and access additional features. Outside the home, it could connect to standard cell networks or WiFi networks and make VOIP calls. This is how the iPhone will make a difference.

And you can have tabbed iChats today. It's great. Just grab the free Chax enhancements. Causes a bit of a drag at startup of iChat, but adds so many cool features.

http://www.ksuther.com/chax/

boncellis
Jun 28, 2006, 07:46 PM
If these projected "new" features end up as the guts of the Leopard upgrade, then I'll be somewhat disappointed. The unified metal theme and the increased Spotlight functionality were a long time coming, not really anything to crow about, in my opinion.

To me, an iChat overhaul could end up being a true killer app if they add all the compatibility of other services along with making an intuitive VoIP client built in. I think it's in the cards eventually, Looprumors unreliability notwithstanding.

zang
Jun 28, 2006, 07:53 PM
Remote control access (VNC-like)

Mac OS X already has VNC and Apple Remote Desktop built in.

This rumour smells fishy.

amac4me
Jun 28, 2006, 07:53 PM
Bring it on ... can't wait to see the Leopard preview. This is getting exciting :D

hob
Jun 28, 2006, 07:54 PM
This is just the beginning.

I believe the iPhone will double as a VOIP phone. At home, it would seamlessly connect to the base Mac and access additional features. Outside the home, it could connect to standard cell networks or WiFi networks and make VOIP calls. This is how the iPhone will make a difference.

I want that, rather badly.

Bet it'll be something like Skype though OO OOO OOOOOO FREE TO CALLS THE U.S.....

oh great, i know precisely 0 people in the U.S, except Steve Jobs - and my friend Thom Yorke is visiting at the moment... =P

(sorry for my use of capitals, very immature of me, i just hate getting excited about america-centric stuff...)

mark!
Jun 28, 2006, 07:54 PM
I hope they have more color themes besides the aqua and graphite they have now.

Stella
Jun 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
I want a consistent GUI throughout - none of some plastic, some metal etc.

iChat seems good - but not much incentive for Canadians to use it - since we ( living in Canada ) can dial Canadian / us phones for free ( until at least the end of the year )!

Leopard is going to have some pretty good new functionality.. I'm looking forward to it.

lostngone
Jun 28, 2006, 07:58 PM
We should should see a speed increase on the x86 machines. This will be the first OSX version to have real world optimization for x86. I'm not saying the current releases are not optimized after all they have been porting every release since 10.0. I'm just saying this is the first full release since the x86 systems have been released and they should have knocked out a lot of the bugs.

cgc
Jun 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
Kind of ironic that as soon as this news breaks, YAHOO decides it's time to release messenger 3.0!!! Very Strange after like 3 years... I guess Elvis isn't quite dead yet.

Yay, Yahoo IM finally updated to not look and act like a ten year old program!

DOUGHNUT
Jun 28, 2006, 08:09 PM
i think the big thing in this version is gonna be some sort of virtualization technology built in to run Windows and Linux programs (along with a more polished version of Boot Camp)

dongmin
Jun 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
I'm looking forward to the 'solid metal' interface. The brushed metal was getting old IMO.I thought 'plastic' was the next big thing, no?

jc27
Jun 28, 2006, 08:19 PM
I hate the grey plastic interface in iLife. it looks really cheap, it sucks that their replacing brushed metal with it. And translucency? Animated dock icons? Seems like a return to 10.0/ a cheap anti-Vista ploy. Hope it's fake.

As for the rest, it seems kind of evolutionary. Can't wait to find out for real!

DOUGHNUT
Jun 28, 2006, 08:21 PM
I thought 'plastic' was the next big thing, no?

just imagine the iLife look replacing the look of Finder, Safari, etc..

as for translucency, I'm fine with it as long as it's not overdone like Vista.

Mac Fly (film)
Jun 28, 2006, 08:46 PM
This is the genesis of the iPhone! Apple will integrate this technology into a new iPod; and this x-generation iPod will become the rumored iPhone. I don't see Apple trying to create a product that already exists and has mass appeal; it's just not their style. They always go for something new or a radical re-imagining of something that already exists. In this case, the cell phone. VOIP (with video) and new high speed wireless networks are going to give traditional cell phones providers a run for their money. I think Apple will lead the way with this new technology and use the popularity of their iPod as the basis for it.
You man, are a ****in' genius! :D

Counterfit
Jun 28, 2006, 09:05 PM
How could they add more transparency, when anything that is adjustable can go fully transparent. :confused:
Speed improvements are always good.
The "Unified Metal" works in iTunes, but I kinda like Safari the way it is.
Tabbed iChat looks nifty (*cough*musicstore*cough*) and the whiteboarding looks really cool, especially if Windows AIM clients will support it.
Remote control features (including a VNC server) already exist in OS X. Perhaps speed improvements here too?

JDOG_
Jun 28, 2006, 09:18 PM
Hmmm...more eye candy and speedier search. $129?

I'm not getting excited about it until WWDC....so far it just sounds like less than a point release.

Super Dave
Jun 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
Digg this story (http://digg.com/apple/Leopard_To_Include_iChat-To-Phone_Other_Leopard_Info)

Why is there no Digg link on the front MacRumors page? There should be! :D

David:cool:

Super Dave
Jun 28, 2006, 09:40 PM

I've thought this for a while. Only 2 changes to your theory.

1. It will support WIFI VOIP or regular cellular service

2. This is why Apple has been integrating iSights into their computers since last December. Both to pave the way for WIFI VOIP video calls and to lower the price of the cameras for their phones through sheer volume.

Thanatoast
Jun 28, 2006, 09:50 PM
and how much would it cost to put isights on all the x-gen ipods? or are they audio only? :)

i think we've ventured into wants/fantasies rather than plausible reality. not that i wouldn't love a video/cell/voip/"none-touch" ipod, but this is pushing it.

rugonnaeatthat
Jun 28, 2006, 10:00 PM
if apple made a portable VOIP phone, in Australia your phonebill would be huge- what kind of charges are US phone companies charging to access the internet over your phone? over here I think it's like 5cents a kilobyte!

Super Dave
Jun 28, 2006, 10:01 PM
and how much would it cost to put isights on all the x-gen ipods? or are they audio only? :)

i think we've ventured into wants/fantasies rather than plausible reality. not that i wouldn't love a video/cell/voip/"none-touch" ipod, but this is pushing it.

The only problems are:

1. size
2. battery (maybe have to turn WIFI on/off manually?)

My point is that VOIP phones are pretty lame by themselves, so I can't see them going that route. Cell phones by themselves are pretty boring as well, even with an iPod built in.

However, you're right. I think I realize that this is fantasy. But I think they'll either release my phone or none at all.

David :cool:

Platform
Jun 28, 2006, 10:25 PM
None of this, aside form the consistent interface, excites me. :o

True, they may be great features, but what is going to make people really WANT Leopard, like Spotlight and Dashboard was for Tiger :confused:

treblah
Jun 28, 2006, 10:40 PM
True, they may be great features, but what is going to make people really WANT Leopard, like Spotlight and Dashboard was for Tiger :confused:

It is still early. We didn't know anything about Dashboard until a few days (maybe a week) before WWDC when the Konfabulator guys spilled the beans.

And my guess is that full hardware virtualization is the feature that is going to sell Leopard to everyone. Which is about 10 times more exciting than Spotlight or Dashboard. ;)

celebrian23
Jun 28, 2006, 10:44 PM

I agree. Let's assume for a minute this was all apple had in store for us. No way would I update unless my college had it for cheap. Nothing is exciting enough for me to want to spend $130

Mal
Jun 28, 2006, 10:45 PM
if apple made a portable VOIP phone, in Australia your phonebill would be huge- what kind of charges are US phone companies charging to access the internet over your phone? over here I think it's like 5cents a kilobyte!

They're not talking about accessing the internet over the phone, per say. They're talking about simply using WiFi to make phone calls. It's not a cell phone at all (or wouldn't be just one). If you're on a WiFi network, presumably you wouldn't be charged at all.

jW

Superdrive
Jun 28, 2006, 10:52 PM
iChat is really in need of some refining. I figure since its inception with Jaguar that it hasn't gone through any major interface changes with the exception of the A/V buttons. Cleaning up the windows and allowing the user to customize the look would be a welcome addition throughout Leopard.

I have a feeling that I won't be too wowed with what I'll see in August because of the apps I've been running for months, like Uno and Chax.

Edit: As mentioned above, there will really need to be some breakthrough features to get people to want Leopard. Getting Tiger wasn't all that big of a deal because I was able to talk the rents into the family pack. When Panther, and especially Jaguar, came out I was there on the first night to buy. I'd really like to see some high caliber changes (that I can use daily) like we saw with some of the first OS X revisions.

aafuss1
Jun 28, 2006, 11:01 PM
Hope Safari will have reorganisable tabs-like with FireFox and sme new bsic games to outdo Vista.

MacFan782040
Jun 28, 2006, 11:16 PM
Will 10.5 be Intel only or will it also work on PPC?

SlyRobber
Jun 28, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think expanding iChat's capabilities is all fine and dandy but I for one hardly use iChat. This sadly is a fact for me and other Mac owners because most people I know are on Windose and use MSN or AIM etc. I use Jabber for those but the problem remains non existent file exchanges, no video-chat, etc. etc. It would be much more appreciated to make iChat/Jabber completely compatible in all respects with those programs. Now THAT would wow the other side.

fblack
Jun 28, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'd like to use my isight on a laptop at the local starbucks or panera and use their wireless access to call my mum on the phone at lunch time.:)

Super Dave
Jun 29, 2006, 01:36 AM
Will 10.5 be Intel only or will it also work on PPC?

It will work on both. At least one feature (Boot Camp) will only work for intel though.

tangerineyum
Jun 29, 2006, 02:03 AM
I think expanding iChat's capabilities is all fine and dandy but I for one hardly use iChat. This sadly is a fact for me and other Mac owners because most people I know are on Windose and use MSN or AIM etc. I use Jabber for those but the problem remains non existent file exchanges, no video-chat, etc. etc. It would be much more appreciated to make iChat/Jabber completely compatible in all respects with those programs. Now THAT would wow the other side.

im sure u know that ichat is fully compatible with aim in all respects ? as in chat, text, video and file transfer capabilities.

Evangelion
Jun 29, 2006, 02:25 AM
Hmmm...more eye candy and speedier search. $129?

Virtualization? Virtualization could be HUGE. Seriously, we have only heard rumors so far, and even if those rumors are true, they only scratch the surface. Apple has spent LONG time on Leopard, good things are coming :).

If they really do that "VOIP between your Mac (and/or other Macs as well) and your iPod", I swear to $DEITY that I will sell my soul to Apple!

swingerofbirch
Jun 29, 2006, 03:13 AM
Isn't it queer how Mac OS 7 went from white to grey (platinum) and now Mac OS X is going from white (think 10) to darker and darker grey. BLAH. Grey isn't clean. I even like the Vista black translucent bar better. Vista is now more lickable than the iLife look.

I'd also like to see the Quicktime app behavior across the board, like in Quicktime maximizing the window has an effect as does going full screen.

But most importantly I am with everyone else in wanting a clean unified GUI.

3rd party shareware and freeware companies are putting apple to shame in their meticulous habits of following the aqua guidelines while apple keeps muddying the waters!

Goldfinger
Jun 29, 2006, 04:35 AM
Virtualization? Virtualization could be HUGE. Seriously, we have only heard rumors so far, and even if those rumors are true, they only scratch the surface. Apple has spent LONG time on Leopard, good things are coming :).

If they really do that "VOIP between your Mac (and/or other Macs as well) and your iPod", I swear to $DEITY that I will sell my soul to Apple!
Virtualization means absolutely nothing for the large majority of people. It IS huge for some power users but for most people it's not really a usefull feature IMHO.

Evangelion
Jun 29, 2006, 05:02 AM
Virtualization means absolutely nothing for the large majority of people.

Maybe not right now, because we don't have virtualization in the mainstream. But once it becomes mainstream, in few years time we will have people thinking "how did we manage without this for so long?". And that's especially true when it comes to people running Macs. Quite a few Mac-users (or Linux-users for that matter, but we are talking about Macs here), need to use Windows occasionally for some reason. And today that means either having a dedicated Windows-PC, or booting the computer in to Windows. With virtualization that process becomes as easy as fast user switching is today.

whooleytoo
Jun 29, 2006, 05:28 AM
I'm looking forward to the 'solid metal' interface. The brushed metal was getting old IMO.

Noooooooo! ;)

At least brushed metal looks like metal! 'Solid metal' is just 'grey'.

whooleytoo
Jun 29, 2006, 05:38 AM

Hey, some of us are still on Panther as Tiger didn't have much appeal!

Given that Tiger, like Jaguar, was a 'technology update', I'd expect Leopard, like Panther, to make more use of new features introduced in Tiger. So, I'd expect much greater use to be made of Spotlight, Core Image, Core Video, Core Data perhaps.

2ndPath
Jun 29, 2006, 05:41 AM
My personal preference for the theme would be to use the standard title bars as they are since Panther for all applications. This solid very light grey is much less distracting than the darker heavier grey from iTunes. If they want to continue with different themes they should at least reduce it to only two (the standard one and the iTunes one), which have a consisten look except for the color. Right now there are too many variations.

Lollypop
Jun 29, 2006, 06:51 AM
Hey, some of us are still on Panther as Tiger didn't have much appeal!

Given that Tiger, like Jaguar, was a 'technology update', I'd expect Leopard, like Panther, to make more use of new features introduced in Tiger. So, I'd expect much greater use to be made of Spotlight, Core Image, Core Video, Core Data perhaps.

Im also hoping that Apple starts to use all the cool technologies that they made available in Tiger... I was personally very unimpressed that all Apple could do with core Image in Tiger that the end user clearly saw was the dasboard ripple effect... weeee

Beligerent
Jun 29, 2006, 07:42 AM
the enhancements to iChat are welcome but for God sake how about making it cross platform compatible. AIM to iChat video is sketchy at best. Its 2006 and still no good cross platform video chat options exist. Skype is literally on the brink of offering Skype video for Mac but no word yet. The new yahoo still doesnt support voice. Whats the problem?

Goldfinger
Jun 29, 2006, 08:50 AM
Maybe not right now, because we don't have virtualization in the mainstream. But once it becomes mainstream, in few years time we will have people thinking "how did we manage without this for so long?". And that's especially true when it comes to people running Macs. Quite a few Mac-users (or Linux-users for that matter, but we are talking about Macs here), need to use Windows occasionally for some reason. And today that means either having a dedicated Windows-PC, or booting the computer in to Windows. With virtualization that process becomes as easy as fast user switching is today.
The thing is, virtualization makes me fear a little bit that some apps will never ever get ported or that some developers stop updating their Mac versions of some apps just. Because they know that the people who really need those few apps will buy windows if they depend on it. I would love to see virtualization as an optional add on for Leopard but I don't think I like the idea of seeing it as a standard feature.

Evangelion
Jun 29, 2006, 09:07 AM
The thing is, virtualization makes me fear a little bit that some apps will never ever get ported or that some developers stop updating their Mac versions of some apps just. Because they know that the people who really need those few apps will buy windows if they depend on it. I would love to see virtualization as an optional add on for Leopard but I don't think I like the idea of seeing it as a standard feature.

Well, in that case consumers will see Linux with working virtualization and Windows with working virtualization. And then they would ask "Why can't OS X do that?". What would your answer be?

No, virtualization would not replace native apps. Those Windows-apps would still be running on Windows, they could not take advantage of OS X's advanced features. Native apps would always win over apps running in a virtualized OS.

m-dogg
Jun 29, 2006, 09:54 AM
It is still early. We didn't know anything about Dashboard until a few days (maybe a week) before WWDC when the Konfabulator guys spilled the beans.

And my guess is that full hardware virtualization is the feature that is going to sell Leopard to everyone. Which is about 10 times more exciting than Spotlight or Dashboard. ;)

No, full hardware virtualization will not be the feature that sells Leopard to everyone. Don't forget that most of Apple's user base is still PPC. Any virtualization feature would only apply to Intel Macs.

They will need to put something in there for all the (many) PPC users out there that may be willing to spend ~$129 on an upgrade but are not planning on buying a new computer any time soon. If the key selling point requires new hardware, it isn't going to facilitate many OS software upgrades...

Some_Big_Spoon
Jun 29, 2006, 10:45 AM
I haven't done skype, or anything similar yet, even though it would probably be pretty helpful to me. I think I'm a fanboy in that I usually wait for Apple to come out with something, then use it all the time. Is it because I'm a sheep? Or is it because they make it better? Discuss :-)

Platform
Jun 29, 2006, 10:49 AM

Oh yeah, I believe Leopard will have some kick ass features :D

quigleybc
Jun 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
They will need to put something in there for all the (many) PPC users out there that may be willing to spend ~$129 on an upgrade but are not planning on buying a new computer any time soon. I

This is my concern. I'm hoping Leopard will not be all about Intel....but I fear it may be, and us PPC users will not be able to take advantage of half the cool stuff that Leopard will offer...

macthorough
Jun 29, 2006, 03:12 PM
I heard 10.5 is going to be "windows ready" meaning windows is going to boot similar to OS 9 classic. No more changing startup disk to run windows. No more boot camp???

= )

Platform
Jun 29, 2006, 09:29 PM
I heard 10.5 is going to be "windows ready" meaning windows is going to boot similar to OS 9 classic. No more changing startup disk to run windows. No more boot camp???

= )
For the sake of Steve I hop not, thats way to old and slow, we need transparency and speed :cool:

tehdee
Jun 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
I haven't done skype, or anything similar yet, even though it would probably be pretty helpful to me. I think I'm a fanboy in that I usually wait for Apple to come out with something, then use it all the time. Is it because I'm a sheep? Or is it because they make it better? Discuss :-)

i too have eagerly been awaiting a solid cross-platform solution.

skype has been 'on the verge' of realasing an update for mac to support built-in isight and video for the last year. it's driving me to the brink of switching, yet no other free voip solution is as appealing as skype. moreover, skype's phone features are top notch.

i chat is amazing between ichat users, but anything cross platform is choppy at best. amsn is fun for the odd video chat, but not a reliable solution. maybe the new office suite will have a universal MSN LIVE...?

i recall grumblings on the skype forums that perhaps the delay in skype releasing new, universal, built-in isight compatible video was that they were working with apple, and skype fans would only see the new mac skype video in the next os...

westmedia7
Jun 30, 2006, 06:47 PM
Hey! I pointed out the iChat-VoIP connection back in January. See this post:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/voiceoverip/topic3888.html

You can try it yourself in the current software. It is still grayed out with the same message.

CD

OdduWon
Jul 4, 2006, 10:10 PM
i think apple will include a add-on or a built in isight in the next ipod. since all the new macs (not the mini yet) have built in cameras it seems obvious that ichat is going to be a focus for the next os. though it does seem impraticle to have a ipod that you have to be near a hotspot to fully work. maybe after iphone? or maybe this will be the first step towards iphone;)

Collin973
Jul 5, 2006, 09:43 AM
I'm looking forward to some new apple technology. When I first started looking at macs, I saw the OS X tiger tutorial on apple's website and some of the features just blew my mind (spotlight, dashboard, the smoothness of the os) and ever since then i've loved it. I can't wait to see what leopard has in store for us.

nsjoker
Aug 2, 2006, 12:52 PM
I hope they have more color themes besides the aqua and graphite they have now.

yes, i completely agree. they should focus on customization. 3rd party skins are lame, if apple came out with a way to change the look and color of some of the OS's elements, that would be a big plus. also something windows has always had, i'm not sure why apple has waited so long.