Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to AppleInsider, iChat 4.0 (to be included with Mac OS 10.5 "Leopard") will include the capability to call traditional phone lines, much like existing VoIP top-dog Skype and betas from Microsoft and Google.

It should be noted that LoopRumors had previously mentioned this capability as early as March 21st in their fourth installment of information pertaining to Leopard. The site then reiterated its claims on June 21st, claiming that the information was coming from the same sources that gave their rather in-depth preview of Leopard.

We don't know whether AppleInsider's source is one of their more reliable sources, or whether it is a newer source that may be the same as LoopRumors. Going with the assumption, for now, that this is in fact a case of independent confirmation, then LoopRumors' other claims regarding Leopard may be more credible than at first thought.

Highlights of LoopRumors' Leopard Claims
- More transparancy
- Dashboard speed improvements
- Solid metal (iTunes 5+) theme throughout the user interface
- Tabbed iChat and whiteboarding
- Remote control access (VNC-like)
- Finder enhancements, including increased Spotlight integration

LoopRumors has previously been considered unreliable. Amongst the site's proven innacurate claims are that phones created through Apple's Motorola partnership would include light versions of other iApps, and that Apple's 30th birthday would be marked by a 30th anniversary Mac.

Digg this story

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
If you're able to call a landline or a cell phone then it's cool. But if it's just PC to PC then, it's what we've been doing for years.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Bradley W said:
Spotlight and Dashboard were the two major focuses of Tiger... I wonder what will be the new focus of Leopard.
It will be touted as the first release of OS X to have a unified interface :p

So Skype had this for $$, then they do it for free... Is it something that costs money? Will Apple be losing money if they did this? Oh the questions... Will this incorporate the iPhone?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
LoopRumors, not really the best track record, but lots of these thing seem to be logical, and i would like to see it all

And Phone in iChat would be very cool.. and if it was free well it would plan out rock

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Kind of ironic that as soon as this news breaks, YAHOO decides it's time to release messenger 3.0!!! Very Strange after like 3 years... I guess Elvis isn't quite dead yet.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I can believe it, but I doubt they'll give away long distance for free (as Skype is doing--but only temporarily). VoIP to regular phones will probably be for .Mac users.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
iPhone

This is the genesis of the iPhone! Apple will integrate this technology into a new iPod; and this x-generation iPod will become the rumored iPhone. I don't see Apple trying to create a product that already exists and has mass appeal; it's just not their style. They always go for something new or a radical re-imagining of something that already exists. In this case, the cell phone. VOIP (with video) and new high speed wireless networks are going to give traditional cell phones providers a run for their money. I think Apple will lead the way with this new technology and use the popularity of their iPod as the basis for it.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I can't wait for the new Finder. Seriously.

The iPhones cool and all but...meh...I already have a phone that, astonishingly, makes calls. Unless it can do something incredible it's not worth it.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is just the beginning.

I believe the iPhone will double as a VOIP phone. At home, it would seamlessly connect to the base Mac and access additional features. Outside the home, it could connect to standard cell networks or WiFi networks and make VOIP calls. This is how the iPhone will make a difference.

And you can have tabbed iChats today. It's great. Just grab the free Chax enhancements. Causes a bit of a drag at startup of iChat, but adds so many cool features.

http://www.ksuther.com/chax/

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
If these projected "new" features end up as the guts of the Leopard upgrade, then I'll be somewhat disappointed. The unified metal theme and the increased Spotlight functionality were a long time coming, not really anything to crow about, in my opinion.

To me, an iChat overhaul could end up being a true killer app if they add all the compatibility of other services along with making an intuitive VoIP client built in. I think it's in the cards eventually, Looprumors unreliability notwithstanding.

zang

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2005
ummmmmmmmmmmm...

Remote control access (VNC-like)

Mac OS X already has VNC and Apple Remote Desktop built in.

This rumour smells fishy.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Bring it on ... can't wait to see the Leopard preview. This is getting exciting :D

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
coolfactor said:
This is just the beginning.

I believe the iPhone will double as a VOIP phone. At home, it would seamlessly connect to the base Mac and access additional features. Outside the home, it could connect to standard cell networks or WiFi networks and make VOIP calls. This is how the iPhone will make a difference.

I want that, rather badly.

Bet it'll be something like Skype though OO OOO OOOOOO FREE TO CALLS THE U.S.....

oh great, i know precisely 0 people in the U.S, except Steve Jobs - and my friend Thom Yorke is visiting at the moment... =P

(sorry for my use of capitals, very immature of me, i just hate getting excited about america-centric stuff...)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I want a consistent GUI throughout - none of some plastic, some metal etc.

iChat seems good - but not much incentive for Canadians to use it - since we ( living in Canada ) can dial Canadian / us phones for free ( until at least the end of the year )!

Leopard is going to have some pretty good new functionality.. I'm looking forward to it.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
First real x86 optimization

We should should see a speed increase on the x86 machines. This will be the first OSX version to have real world optimization for x86. I'm not saying the current releases are not optimized after all they have been porting every release since 10.0. I'm just saying this is the first full release since the x86 systems have been released and they should have knocked out a lot of the bugs.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
mi5moav said:
Kind of ironic that as soon as this news breaks, YAHOO decides it's time to release messenger 3.0!!! Very Strange after like 3 years... I guess Elvis isn't quite dead yet.

Yay, Yahoo IM finally updated to not look and act like a ten year old program!

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
i think the big thing in this version is gonna be some sort of virtualization technology built in to run Windows and Linux programs (along with a more polished version of Boot Camp)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
EricNau said:
I'm looking forward to the 'solid metal' interface. The brushed metal was getting old IMO.
I thought 'plastic' was the next big thing, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.