PDA

View Full Version : Hi Res PowerBook vs. MacBook

chimps
Jun 29, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hi, new here to the forums. Awsome site.

Anyway, I just wanted to know some of your opinions. I currently have a
hi res powerbook (1.67ghz, 1.5mb of ram, 80 gig hdd, etc) and I recently
put it up for auction on ebay in hopes of making enough money to buy a
macbook. I love my powerbook to death. It has and still does me very well.
However, with school, I have to use a lot of windows-only programs - i've
tried alternatvies, and as some do work very well, the programs that I will be
needing for a full year (senior project) is windows only, the mac-equivalent
isn't sufficient, and running vpc is just slow.

Overall, I just wanted to know what you guys think of this scenerio? Will I
be happy w/ the macbook from my powerbook? Would you be happy with
the switch? Should I frantically take my auction down and repent for even
putting up my powerbook on ebay? Just chime in if you have anything to say....

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been brought up cumulatively in a single thread, as I did do a search... if I am wrong, sorry in advance.

-Chimps

MacRumorUser
Jun 29, 2006, 05:45 AM
I had a Rev E powerbook, BUT it had the horizontal line issue that plagued the machines.

I now have a black macbook in its place and dont have ant quarms recommending one. I've no moo issues, no whine, no problems at all.

Screen even though is lower res than my Rev E powerbook, has in my opinion a better screen, I dont get headache and the line issue was a nightmare for me when designing stuff.

Performance of my 2ghz macbook is better than my powerbook too for the applications I use.

generik
Jun 29, 2006, 06:51 AM
I believe you would, in fact I feel quite sorry for those who still have their Rev-E machines.

Thank god i sold that junker 3 weeks after I got it, when the MBP came out resale virtually bottomed out on them.

tekmoe
Jun 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
I believe you would, in fact I feel quite sorry for those who still have their Rev-E machines.

Thank god i sold that junker 3 weeks after I got it, when the MBP came out resale virtually bottomed out on them.

if you are worried about the resale value of your macs, maybe you should become a dealer and stop using them because they are awesome computers. :confused:

generik
Jun 29, 2006, 07:27 AM
if you are worried about the resale value of your macs, maybe you should become a dealer and stop using them because they are awesome computers. :confused:

It is not so much that. Part of the trouble with the PBs is that like sugared water we see in the stores they have a very elastic value... and in 2005 they were already pushing it. A$3000 definitely is not the kind of price to be paying for a machine with just a A$100 CPU in it when even systems with more expensive (and faster) Pentium-M chips are going for less. Mac OS is nice but it just is not worth that much for me. Sorry. An OS is just not worth a grand, not like it is a transferable license either. Since no way in hell I will pay a grand for a OEM license of Windows XP likewise I don't see why I am paying a grand for the Mac OS equivalent of an OEM license.

I don't know. I certainly felt like I deserved a better computer than what I parted for it back then and a sudden post purchase dissonance kicked in. Glad it did, I am still thankful to this day that I got rid of the PB back then.

The speed wasn't impressive, neither was the battery life, the LCD lines basically sealed its fate as far as I'm concerned. Since mobility is not that huge for me at the moment I am chugging along quite happily with a Mini Duo. When the Core 2 MBPs are out I will just upgrade to that instead, just in time for my thesis.

Money don't come *that* easily, so that's how I play my cards. YMMV.

Mord
Jun 29, 2006, 07:35 AM
personally i'd trade my macbook for a 1.67GHz high res 15" pb any day, but thats just me.

MacRumorUser
Jun 29, 2006, 07:37 AM
personally i'd trade my macbook for a 1.67GHz high res 15" pb any day, but thats just me.

Not if you had one like mine. Screen was atrocious. Colour artifacting, horizontal banding..... Just plain awful....

Mord
Jun 29, 2006, 07:44 AM
Not if you had one like mine. Screen was atrocious. Colour artifacting, horizontal banding..... Just plain awful....

i have a magical skill with getting my stuff repaired for free by apple even out of warranty, quoting european law ect, i dont shout i just know my consumer rights.

heck i returned my first ibook because their was a 100 price drop the next day with no restocking fee.