PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 6.0.5 Released

mduser63
Jun 29, 2006, 12:42 PM
iTunes 6.0.5 is in Software Update. It adds support for Nike+iPod. Downloading now...

mkrishnan
Jun 29, 2006, 12:45 PM
*le sigh* If only they'd partnered with a company that makes competent running shoes. :rolleyes: I still think it's a neat concept. :)

jsw
Jun 29, 2006, 12:47 PM
That's fantastic! I'm so happy that Apple is spacing out downloads to once per day instead of bundling these things in with the 10.4.7 update. :rolleyes:

XIII
Jun 29, 2006, 12:47 PM
*le sigh* If only they'd partnered with a company that makes competent running shoes. :rolleyes: I still think it's a neat concept. :)

Agreed.

Personally I would've liked it with Asics..

mduser63
Jun 29, 2006, 12:49 PM
That's fantastic! I'm so happy that Apple is spacing out downloads to once per day instead of bundling these things in with the 10.4.7 update. :rolleyes:

I waited to install the 10.4.7 update on my iMac. I'm about to leave for a while, so I figured I should install that along with the QuickTime 7.1.2 update while I'm gone. Opened Software Update, and there was an iTunes update. Why they couldn't have released all three at the same time, I don't know.

jsw
Jun 29, 2006, 12:51 PM
It's not that big a deal, I guess, but in my house there's the iMac, the PowerBook, the PowerMac, the mini, and the MBP to deal with. Bit of a pain.

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2006, 12:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now available via Software Update:
With iTunes 6, you can now preview, buy, and download music videos, short films, and hit TV programs on the iTunes Music Store and sync your music and purchased videos with iPod to enjoy on the go.

iTunes 6.0.5 allows you to sync your Nike + iPod workout data to nikeplus.com, where you can easily track your progress, set training goals, challenge others, and much more. Visit the Nike Sport Music area on the iTunes Music Store to download workout mixes, Athlete Inspiration playlists, Nike podcasts, and more.

Note: After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to the latest version of iTunes.

cait-sith
Jun 29, 2006, 01:00 PM
So you somehow input your training progress into your iPod?

I'll stick to using a log book and pen. Easier than a click wheel. :D

mark!
Jun 29, 2006, 01:00 PM
dang they're throwin out all these updates. lets see some ipods GEEZUS.

OnceUGoMac
Jun 29, 2006, 01:02 PM
My update was for 7.1.2. :confused:

Eidorian
Jun 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
Did they say "preview videos"? Or just music videos?

MattG
Jeez three updates three days in a row...gimme a break Apple :p

EricNau
My update was for 7.1.2. :confused:
That's Quicktime

MongoTheGeek
Jun 29, 2006, 01:04 PM
Its been so long...

Isn't there a tendency for software updates to just proceed the hardware?

xUKHCx
Jun 29, 2006, 01:06 PM
repeat of what EricNau said, guess i am just too slow

epochblue
Jun 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
Does anyone now if this update (specifically the iTunes update) breaks compatibility with apps like SmoothStripes, UNO, or Iridium?

Kidman13
Jun 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
mmhhh Except for that nike stuff, are there any more updates?

swindmill
Jun 29, 2006, 01:10 PM

Apparently, there is a sensor that sends your workout statistics to your ipod, so you don't actually have to input anything yourself. Sounds like a really cool idea for those who run, etc, on a regular basis.

mkrishnan
Jun 29, 2006, 01:11 PM
I do know what you mean. I have a policy of rarely doing Apple updates until a few days have passed, and mostly just bunching them up so that I don't reboot more often than once every two weeks. :D

But then, AFAIK, OS X dot upgrades have never included iTunes, because it is not considered part of the core OS (but rather, of iLife). Also iTunes doesn't require a reboot, so it's not so bad. And the iTunes update would still have to be separately delivered because of users on Panther, etc (not to mention...*shudders* Windows)....

As for me, I'm sitting on three updates now that I've yet to do (10.4.7, QT, iTunes).

P.S. I would've gone for Saucony, but I can live with Asics. :p

treblah
Jun 29, 2006, 01:11 PM
Anyone else's download slower than normal?

I'm only getting 50KB/sec when I normally get ~150KB from Apple. :confused:

OnceUGoMac
Jun 29, 2006, 01:13 PM
That's Quicktime

Damnit! I just woke up. Curse you sleepy eyes!:D

tk421
Jun 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
It's not that big a deal, I guess, but in my house there's the iMac, the PowerBook, the PowerMac, the mini, and the MBP to deal with. Bit of a pain.

No MacBook or iBook? You almost have a complete set!

mduser63
Jun 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
Anyone else's download slower than normal?

I'm only getting 50KB/sec when I normally get ~150KB from Apple. :confused:

Mine was full speed.

archurban
Jun 29, 2006, 01:17 PM
I told you. itunes 6.0.5 will be coming out after quicktime 7.1.2!

iJaz
Jun 29, 2006, 01:18 PM
I thought I just installed a QuickTime update!
Too much rebooting going on here! :mad:

brepublican
Jun 29, 2006, 01:19 PM
Was to be expected after yesterday's QT update. Meh, sticking with 4.9

(Until such a time when the true video iPod with built in toaster, wi-fi and bluetooth comes out)

iJaz
Jun 29, 2006, 01:21 PM
rubbish update, still no videos on my shuffle! :rolleyes:

grubesteak
Jun 29, 2006, 01:21 PM

Well, you could save the package from one download, then just use that to install on the remaining machines by transferring with a jump drive, iPod or through your network (the network being the slowest option).

MacBoobsPro
Jun 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
So basically if you live anywhere but the US this update updates ****-all?

We still dont get TV shows here! :mad:

Applespider
Jun 29, 2006, 01:24 PM
We've been given a date of 15 July to expect stock of the Nikes and iPod kit in the UK

CmdrLaForge
Jun 29, 2006, 01:25 PM

They are not the worst. I run a pair of Nike Skylon as my second pair (in addition to my Asics..)

Downloading now

mvelinder
Jun 29, 2006, 01:26 PM
Is Spotlight still working for everyone?

After I installed this update, mine has since ceased to work...

I enter terms in and nothing is brought back, the menu doesn't even expand.

I installed the iTunes and Quicktime update.

age234
Jun 29, 2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe Apple should adopt the Microsoft "install the updates and restart, regardless of what you're doing" approach to software updates.

refulgentis
Jun 29, 2006, 01:28 PM
A firmware update to 1.1 for my MBP 17" popped up too...is this old? Even though I stay up-to-date with Software Update, for some reason it's been popping up old updates lately (i.e. about a week ago I got a reminder to update to iTunes 6.0.4, which I already had)

CmdrLaForge
Jun 29, 2006, 01:29 PM
Can't find anything different. Am I missing something here?

chasemac
Jun 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
Can't find anything different. Am I missing something here?

Nope.:)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
I thought I just installed a QuickTime update!
Too much rebooting going on here! :mad:No rebooting necessary for the iTunes update, so your uptime is safe for now... :rolleyes:

ChrisA
Jun 29, 2006, 01:41 PM
..If only they'd partnered with a company that makes competent running shoes...

I think it is just a matter of "fit". If you have a Nike shapped foot Nike might work well. I buy New Balance because NB comes in 4E widths. I think fit explains why people like/dislike various brands

dextertangocci
Jun 29, 2006, 01:47 PM
How big is it? I've used almost all my bandwidth, and only have 100MB left until the end of the month:(

BWhaler
Jun 29, 2006, 01:49 PM

You should learn about the product. It's much, much, much more powerful than this.

dextertangocci
Jun 29, 2006, 01:49 PM

YES! My friend's MBP's spotlight doesn't work anymore, after he installed all these updates, although my MB's spotlight stilll works:confused:

Applespider
Jun 29, 2006, 01:51 PM
How big is it? I've used almost all my bandwidth, and only have 100MB left until the end of the month:(

19MB on mine

lozanoj83
Jun 29, 2006, 01:53 PM
New iPod updater also.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

laidbackliam
Jun 29, 2006, 01:56 PM
I think it is just a matter of "fit". If you have a Nike shapped foot Nike might work well. I buy New Balance because NB comes in 4E widths. I think fit explains why people like/dislike various brands

well, seeing as my foot is not steve prefontaine's, i'm not gonna go with the nike. ascics for me please. they might be a wee bit heavier than other shoes, but they are some of the best shoes out there. and who's to say you can't "hack" your shoe for use with the nike kit

m-dogg
Jun 29, 2006, 02:01 PM
Figures - I just downloaded the QT & 10.4 updates to my machines last night!

Carl Spackler
Jun 29, 2006, 02:08 PM
well, seeing as my foot is not steve prefontaine's, i'm not gonna go with the nike. ascics for me please. they might be a wee bit heavier than other shoes, but they are some of the best shoes out there. and who's to say you can't "hack" your shoe for use with the nike kit

From what I've read, the Nike doohickey works on acceleration and deceleration. Seeing as where it's located, pressure seems like an odd choice for input. I don't know why one could not just put it securely in a key pouch attached to your laces. I like some of Nike's clothes, but I'm a Brooks Running guy, myself, as far as shoes go. I don't know how I feel about a pocket in the sole. Wouldn't there be lack of arch support?

mduser63
Jun 29, 2006, 02:17 PM
New iPod updater also.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

This is expected as obviously the nano needs a firmware update to work with the Nike stuff. I was just thinking that it was odd that there was no volume limit on the Shuffle, but this updater adds that. I'm interested to see how it works, so I'm downloading it for my Shuffle now.

EDIT: OK, well as expected it gives you a slider in iPod preferences, but they've done something kind of clever. When you check the box to enable volume limiting, the slider automatically moves to the level that the Shuffle is currently set at.

http://www.villainousturtle.com/misc/shuffle.png

mvelinder
Jun 29, 2006, 02:18 PM
YES! My friend's MBP's spotlight doesn't work anymore, after he installed all these updates, although my MB's spotlight stilll works:confused:

I have a MacBook Pro too... a 2.0 stock 15.4"

Glad to hear someone else has the problem too. I wonder how many more people it is affecting? And, how do you fix it?

It's pretty hard to live without Spotlight...

I've tried restarting, un-checking and re-checking things to search for in the Preferences Pane... nothing has helped.

chairguru22
Jun 29, 2006, 02:23 PM
someone said yesterday that they expected 6.0.5 since it usually comes with a quicktime update... good job!

Fabio_gsilva
Jun 29, 2006, 02:36 PM

Alles Ok here.

baleensavage
Jun 29, 2006, 02:39 PM
Cool finally volume control in the shuffle! Now the question becomes is that restrictable using the iTunes parental controls?

mkrishnan
Jun 29, 2006, 02:40 PM

This is definitely true...it's just that very few runners have Nike feet. Every running store I've ever bought from has said essentially that -- they stock Nike's, but they work for very few people and so are rarely recommended. This is all for *distance* running natch. My experience is that when you are at ground zero at the starting gate of a marathon, you will not see many Nike's on feet. And at the finishing line, even fewer! :p (Because they're on the feet of the non-runners).

But I've also heard that Nike makes excellent track shoes? But that's so not my thing.

And certainly in terms of company image, Nike is bar none *the* choice. It's just the standard view that they excel at every sport known to man except distance running (and, it used to be, cycling, although I'm not sure about that anymore).

mvelinder
Jun 29, 2006, 02:41 PM
Alles Ok here.

So far its me and another person's MBP's... you running the Mini from your sig?

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/2963/brokenspotlight3vx.png

And then after I open Spotlight again...

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/9347/brokenspotlight26ic.png

mduser63
Jun 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cool finally volume control in the shuffle! Now the question becomes is that restrictable using the iTunes parental controls?

You can click the lock shown in the screenshot I posted to require a password to change the volume limit setting.

kirk26
Jun 29, 2006, 02:43 PM
Agreed.

Personally I would've liked it with Asics..

Reebok owns all!

Shadow
Jun 29, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'd get it, but theres no point since this Mac is going back on Saturday:(

Menhir
Jun 29, 2006, 02:49 PM

Wow - I didn't know that people in different parts of the world had a monthly bandwidth limit to deal with. Sorry about that, Dexter! I realize broadband works differently in different parts of the world, but that's gotta be tough!

Come to think of it, probably an effective way to curb P2P piracy, eh? That'd be something RIAA and MPAA would love to have enforced in the US!

BTW, I apologize about the off-topic post.

playaj82
Jun 29, 2006, 02:53 PM
Reebok owns all!

How about something that works with all shoes. I mean I understand Nike wants to FORCE you to buy their shoes, but if a runner has the choice between his favorite running shoe and his iPod Nano tracking his steps....hmmmm let me think about what they will pick :cool:

mkrishnan
Jun 29, 2006, 02:54 PM

:(

That sounds really frustrating. Nothing like that has happened to me, but...

What happens when those of you with non-functional spotlight try the spotlight bar in Finder? Does it act like it's spotlighting and not find anything?

If the standard repair permissions, reboot doesn't work, then try to force a rebuild of the spotlight index. One way to do this is to go to the preference pane for Spotlight and make the entire HD Private. Close out, and then go back in and make it searchable again. This should re-index....

Cubert
Jun 29, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hopefully this fixes the volume issue when synching your iPod while in full screen visualizer mode. Doing this turns the system volume down to about half its previous volume, but the slider doesn't move. The only way to get it back to full volume is a reboot.

G4 Cube 450 MHz.
Tiger 10.4.6

illegalprelude
Jun 29, 2006, 03:02 PM
are people really complaining about rebooting :confused: (i didnt have to btw)

quigleybc
Jun 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
sweet

now I can plug my Mac into my shoe:p

Anonymous Freak
Jun 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
rubbish update, still no videos on my shuffle! :rolleyes:

And no live streaming internet TV on my mini! MAN! What's wit that? :D

mvelinder
Jun 29, 2006, 03:06 PM
:(

That sounds really frustrating. Nothing like that has happened to me, but...

What happens when those of you with non-functional spotlight try the spotlight bar in Finder? Does it act like it's spotlighting and not find anything?

If the standard repair permissions, reboot doesn't work, then try to force a rebuild of the spotlight index. One way to do this is to go to the preference pane for Spotlight and make the entire HD Private. Close out, and then go back in and make it searchable again. This should re-index....

I found a fix here (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2514747).

I opted not for the Terminal command, instead I did this fix:

1. Go find User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.spotlight.plist and Trash it (I moved it to the Desktop just for safe keeping, it had the same effect)

2. Log Out and Log back in

And presto! Fixed!

Fabio_gsilva
Jun 29, 2006, 03:10 PM

Yes, exactly... all well...

Fabio_gsilva
Jun 29, 2006, 03:14 PM

By the way, how do i capture the screen like you did??? Sorry, this is my first Mac...

mvelinder
Jun 29, 2006, 03:19 PM
By the way, how do i capture the screen like you did??? Sorry, this is my first Mac...

Shift + Apple + 4 will give you some crosshairs... click, spread em out over the area you want, release and it'll drop a .png on your desktop with the image.

mvelinder
Jun 29, 2006, 03:25 PM
I found a fix here (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2514747).

I opted not for the Terminal command, instead I did this fix:

1. Go find User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.spotlight.plist and Trash it (I moved it to the Desktop just for safe keeping, it had the same effect)

2. Log Out and Log back in

And presto! Fixed!

OK, I'm having some very strange behavior now... I deleted that file, it seemed to fix the problem. However, now I've restarted and the problem is back. The only way that it seems to be fixed is by logging out and logging back in.

Help!!!

EDIT: I've tried a few other fixes, re-indexing the volume, repairing disk permissions, deleting that preference file and none of it has worked...

EDIT: Now I'm stuck with this, the window won't even drop down:
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/7697/reallybrokenspotlight6vl.png

EDIT: Which has now turned into this, in which it appears to be indexing, I'll wait and see:
http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/6982/brokenindexingspotlight3mv.png

EDIT: Broken again... I have no idea what else to do.

Fabio_gsilva
Jun 29, 2006, 03:26 PM
Shift + Apple + 4 will give you some crosshairs... click, spread em out over the area you want, release and it'll drop a .png on your desktop with the image.

Thanks!!! :)
Living and learning...

MattyMac
Jun 29, 2006, 05:09 PM
Must be Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Carlson-online
Jun 29, 2006, 05:39 PM
it wont install on Windows 64 bit!!

200paul
Jun 29, 2006, 05:44 PM
From what I've read, the Nike doohickey works on acceleration and deceleration. Seeing as where it's located, pressure seems like an odd choice for input. I don't know why one could not just put it securely in a key pouch attached to your laces. I like some of Nike's clothes, but I'm a Brooks Running guy, myself, as far as shoes go. I don't know how I feel about a pocket in the sole. Wouldn't there be lack of arch support?

Yeah essentially you didn't even need the thing in the shoe. The reciever that clicks into the Nano could have done all the work but then you wouldn't buy "Nike" brand shoes would you? I like complimenting products but this one seems totally unessesary.

ilikeninjas90
Jun 29, 2006, 06:37 PM
will this be capable with vista?

mkrishnan
Jun 29, 2006, 06:48 PM
will this be capable with vista?

99.9% it will either work immediately on Vista launch or soon after. Apple needs Windows-based users of the iPod franchise.

But give Apple a break...it's a moving target what Vista will look like or when it comes out. Although the way things are moving, when it does come out, it will be so much exactly like XP is now that everything from XP will run just fine. ;)

xPismo
Jun 29, 2006, 08:02 PM
mmm. I can't get them to download. I get a -1001 error?

Everything else is downloading just fine? :confused:

Still, I guess it can wait a day.

zephead
Jun 30, 2006, 12:25 AM
So does iTunes 6.0.5 mean anything to the 5G iPod owner like me, or was it simply to add in the nano+Nike thing?

Flowbee
Jun 30, 2006, 01:02 AM

As I've said in another thread, I'm not switching from my Saucony Hurricanes. My Nike+iPod kit is pre-ordered and I'm fairly certain that it will work just fine attached to my laces. There's only a notch cut into the Nike shoe for the transponder... nothing very high-tech.

JQW
Jun 30, 2006, 03:52 AM
I wonder what the iPod bug fixes were?

I was getting lockups using my 5G iPod with firmware revision 1.1.1, usually when playing Audible content. The problem still happens with 1.1.2, as I witnessed it this morning. I've also been getting occasional reboots when playing Audible or other MP3 files, which appeared to be some sort of buffering issue as they only occur after skipping or winding through a track - it's too early to tell if this has been fixed.

JFreak
Jun 30, 2006, 04:13 AM
Maybe Apple should adopt the Microsoft "install the updates and restart, regardless of what you're doing" approach to software updates.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lonepilgrim
Jun 30, 2006, 07:10 AM
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/7697/reallybrokenspotlight6vl.png

http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/6982/brokenindexingspotlight3mv.png

Is it just me or did your battery drop 35 minutes of charge in 5 minutes of time? :eek:

bowens
Jun 30, 2006, 07:18 AM
This isn't really about iTunes but about the iPod updater. I couldn't find this anywhere else so I will ask it here. On the apple site about this update it says, about the shuffle:
Features of iPod Software 1.1.4 for iPod shuffle:
-Volume limit
-Bug fixes

What do they mean by volume limit? If this means I won't be able to turn my shuffle up as loud, then I don't want to update it. I use my shuffle when I mow my lawn and have it turned up as loud as possible, and it's just loud enough for me to hear.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 30, 2006, 07:23 AM
^^
The 1.1.1 software update for iPod nano and Fifth Generation iPod provides an easy way for you to set a maximum volume limit to prevent the volume from exceeding a certain level.(Link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303414))

You don't have to set an upper limit, though, but now you have the chance to do so if you don't want to risk damaging your hearing... ;)

scottlinux
Jun 30, 2006, 02:06 PM

Waahhh waaaah. I wish I had the *PAIN* of having FIVE mac computers in my house.

cazlar
Jun 30, 2006, 11:12 PM
I just updated my nano to 1.2 but found a bug/change that I don't like. If you like to listen to songs from albums in a row, you would leave the shuffle setting on Album and it would shuffle the albums order, but leave each album together. With 1.2 it just shuffles by song no matter what you have in the settings. I did a full restore to 1.2 (still not work), then a restore to 1.1.1 and it then worked.

Anyone else seeing this?

zoltamatron
Jul 1, 2006, 04:35 AM
I just installed the new itunes, quicktime, and 10.4.7 updates and I am now getting kernel panics (seemingly) when I connect my ipod to my computer. I'm running an old digital audio PMG4 with a dual 1.4ghz processor upgrade. Is anyone else experiencing this?

-z

JosiahPB
Jul 2, 2006, 12:32 PM
Do they offer surgery for Kenyen runners to plant the Nike+ into their feet?

mkrishnan
Jul 2, 2006, 01:17 PM
Do they offer surgery for Kenyen runners to plant the Nike+ into their feet?

Yes, but no surgery for you or me that will ever make us nearly as fast as them. ;) :D

knackroller
Jul 3, 2006, 02:46 AM
I normally skip one or two upgrades. Like 10.4.4 to 10.4.6, makes life more manageable. The only exception are the security updates.

ericlewis91
Jul 8, 2006, 09:43 PM
iTunes 6.0.5 is in Software Update. It adds support for Nike+iPod. Downloading now.i am gay..

when is the thing coming out

JosiahPB
Jul 9, 2006, 09:26 AM
I was in the store in Jordan Creek and the sales rep really had no clue. I was kind of dissapointed. I ran cross country for 5 years in High School and Middle School. I know that the guy probably didn't, but he should still know about the product.