Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
ok, so here is waht i have to do, I need to take a clip of a football player running, and either put a circle around him for the entire clip, or like dim everything but him. basically, its for scouting, and he needs to be highlighted, I can even just have an arrow pointing at him the entire time. I hope someone can help, i need to know how to do this like.. soon
andreas

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
If you want to track him, you would be better of using after effects. If not you can us a circular mask shape with a feather filter overtop of it. drop the opacity and then hand animate it to follow the player. Again, ae would be better as you could just track the player with a mask or arrow.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
As a recommendation, if you want quicker answers, be sure to put your question in the right forum. I know nothing about Digital Video, so I seldom lurk in that forum. However, I'd like to think that I know some stuff about Design and Graphics. If you put your question in the right forum, you're more likely to get quick, correct answers.

(And in the event that you do post in the wrong forum, a quick PM to a mod on duty will fix it.)

Best of luck with your project.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
hey there

this sounds like exactly what I want, the amsk shape and and dropping the opacity, my only question is, how doyou hand animate it to follow the player?
thank so much
andreas
faustfire said:
If you want to track him, you would be better of using after effects. If not you can us a circular mask shape with a feather filter overtop of it. drop the opacity and then hand animate it to follow the player. Again, ae would be better as you could just track the player with a mask or arrow.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
blueflame said:
this sounds like exactly what I want, the amsk shape and and dropping the opacity, my only question is, how doyou hand animate it to follow the player?
thank so much
andreas

Turn on Image+Wireframe, move one frame at a time and move the arrow with the player. It's quite simple, I don't see why you couldn't do it in FCP, I rarely need to go over to AE to do such a simple thing.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
AE has a tracking "filter" you can use that simplifies rotoscoping the entire clip.

just cuz you CAN do it in FCP, doesnt mean you should, for workflow's sake.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
so

does this mean, with after effects, you can just make the circle and it will automatically follow teh player throughout the entire clip? or would i have to set it every few frames?
andreas
btw, thank you everyone so far for the help, its really appreciated.
Sdashiki said:
AE has a tracking "filter" you can use that simplifies rotoscoping the entire clip.

just cuz you CAN do it in FCP, doesnt mean you should, for workflow's sake.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
blueflame said:
does this mean, with after effects, you can just make the circle and it will automatically follow teh player throughout the entire clip? or would i have to set it every few frames?
andreas

in AE i believe you choose a pixel or group of pixels to follow.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
blueflame said:
andreas

With something like a football player, it depends on how much motion blur there is in the shot, if he is ever obscured by other players, and if there is something, like a helmet, which stands out in the clip. (you need something to track.) Usually with something like this you would probably need to do some manual adjustments but all in all it should track pretty well.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
hmmm

i cannot seem to make the shape and have it folow the player. basically, what I am trying to do, it like ehat they do on espn, when they make a circle around a player for one of his plays. a circle needs to follow the player for like 20 seconds, just to show exactly where he is. any chnce someone could give me very specific instructions?
andreas

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Create your mask or your shape or whatever it is you want to follow the person.

create a new video layer and put this object in it, make sure its on top of the video you are following.

now, double click the shape and it opens in the canvas (left viewing window)

click the tab at the top that says basic motion I believe (something like that, as I dont have FCP on this machine to look)

and inside are a bunch of parameters you can change. One should be X/Y position or something like that.

in the viewer (right viewing window) there is a tab that says view I believe, and change it to "image+wireframe". now whatever you have selected in the timeline will be highlited in the canvas.

click and move your shape around in the canvas, and notice the #'s change in the basic motion info of the shape.

find the first frame of your player, set the playhead there, in the main timeline.

double click the shape again, and it opens again in the left viewer. Go back to basic motion. position the shape (with its wireframe now visible) by clicking and dragging the shape to where you want it on that first frame in the right viewer.

inside the basic motion tab click the diamond shape next to the paramater and a black diamond "keyframe" is created.

now, go to the next frame and repeat this for EVERY single frame you want to be followed. you may be able to get away with every other frame, or even larger gaps in the keyframes if the object to be followed doesnt move much.

hope that helps.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Thank you!

I will try tis on monday when i get to the computer, I really appreicate the help
andreas
Sdashiki said:
Create your mask or your shape or whatever it is you want to follow the person.

create a new video layer and put this object in it, make sure its on top of the video you are following.

now, double click the shape and it opens in the canvas (left viewing window)

click the tab at the top that says basic motion I believe (something like that, as I dont have FCP on this machine to look)

and inside are a bunch of parameters you can change. One should be X/Y position or something like that.

in the viewer (right viewing window) there is a tab that says view I believe, and change it to "image+wireframe". now whatever you have selected in the timeline will be highlited in the canvas.

click and move your shape around in the canvas, and notice the #'s change in the basic motion info of the shape.

find the first frame of your player, set the playhead there, in the main timeline.

double click the shape again, and it opens again in the left viewer. Go back to basic motion. position the shape (with its wireframe now visible) by clicking and dragging the shape to where you want it on that first frame in the right viewer.

inside the basic motion tab click the diamond shape next to the paramater and a black diamond "keyframe" is created.

now, go to the next frame and repeat this for EVERY single frame you want to be followed. you may be able to get away with every other frame, or even larger gaps in the keyframes if the object to be followed doesnt move much.

hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.