Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
My 14" iBook G4 is 32-months old and has always worked perfectly. About two months ago I replaced the battery with a brand-new original-equipment Apple battery as the original battery's capacity had slowly dwindled down. The new battery worked great, lasted hours and hours, only about 60 charge/discharge cycles. Then on Tuesday I was running the computer off the battery when all of a sudden it just died. Bam, just like that, no warning or anything, and the battery icon wasn't even red yet. I plugged it in and rebooted and it worked fine, only now the battery gauge won't charge above 51%. At 51% the power plug turns green and it stops charging. Coconut Battery says I'm still capable of a nearly 4000mAH charge but all I'm getting is half that! I've rebooted several times, reset PRAM/NVRAM for the first time ever, unplugged the charger -- all to no avail. And now when the battery runs down to 0% it just shuts down without warning; no more sleep!

So whaddya think? Bad battery? Faulty computer? HELP!!!!!

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 48

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Try calibrating the battery (following the directions in the manual that came with the computer). Charge it as much as it can, rest it for 5 hours, discharge the battery completely (until the computer shuts down by itself), rest 5 hours, then charge it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.