PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 - How do you crank the fans up to full speed?

JasonGough
Jun 30, 2006, 10:03 AM
I'm wondering how i can crank my fans up to full speed to hopefully kick all the dust and **** out of my system.

i'm moving house 2morrow, and all the dust from moving has no doubt been sucked into my machine during the last few days...

is there a way to get all the fans at top speed as an attempt to clear all the **** out?

thanx! :)

iGary
Jun 30, 2006, 10:04 AM
Get a can of air and do it.

Seriously - leave it running, but get a can of air and clean things down while it is running (dont leave it open long, though).

regre7
Jun 30, 2006, 10:05 AM
Just don't stick it up your nose....;)

nsutt22
Jun 30, 2006, 10:15 AM
or turn it upside down and spray your skin : )

JasonGough
Jun 30, 2006, 10:38 AM
Get a can of air and do it.

Seriously - leave it running, but get a can of air and clean things down while it is running (dont leave it open long, though).

sounds like a sweet idea. i forgot just how good those cans of air are for cleaning stuff with! I'll get one next time im in town.

In the mean time, is there a way of getting the fans going?

Is it single user mode that i remember once made my mac sound like it was about to take off?

zakatov
Jun 30, 2006, 10:39 AM
Target disk mode will do it.

MisterMe
Jun 30, 2006, 10:45 AM
Target disk mode will do it.If you have only one computer at hand, then running fsck -f after a restart into single-user mode always does the trick for me.

JasonGough
Jun 30, 2006, 10:50 AM
If you have only one computer at hand, then running fsck -f after a restart into single-user mode always does the trick for me.

cool, and what will that do? I don't wanna do anything thats gonna mess my mac up, just wanna send the fans spinning.

What will happen after the fsck -f runs, will it just restart into normal os x?

thanx for the advice!

livingfortoday
Jun 30, 2006, 10:52 AM
You can also try the hardware test CD. I was trying to fix my dad's G5 and ran the test, and it scared the ***** out of my when all those fans started blaring. I had no idea that would happen! But yeah, that's a quick way to do it.