Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coutsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Hi,
I have a iBook and would like to get a webcam to work with MSN Messenger for Mac 5.1.1. Unfortunately my budget does not stretch to an iSight. Can someone advise on a compatible webcam that would work with Tiger and MSN Messenger.

Thanks in advance.

Coutsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there anyway I can communicate (with video) with people who use MSN on a PC then?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that there's a third-party app that can do it, but I've never tried myself. I think it's called Mercury, somebody else should be able to confirm that.

The newest version of Yahoo Messenger supports webcams, and they say that MSN support is coming soon. However, it remains to be seen whether MSN will work with webcams, or just with text.

Coutsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
So a MSN Video chat looks out of the question then. Does anyone know which Yahoo Messenger and Mac OS X compatible web cam options I have then?

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I just downloaded the Skype 1.5.0.17 beta w/ webcam support and it works beautifully! The video stream is lag-free and the image stays nice and crisp.

Highly recommended for video chat with PC users. Unfortunately the new Beta isn't publicly available for download yet, I'll let ya know when it is :)

As far as the webcam goes, I'd check out the iSight. I'm sure that's what Apple would recommend, hehe ;)

Coutsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I know the iSight would be Apple's recommendation but my budget does not stretch that far unfortunately. Are there any cheaper Logitech or other manufacturer options that anyone knows will work?

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Coutsy said:
I know the iSight would be Apple's recommendation but my budget does not stretch that far unfortunately. Are there any cheaper Logitech or other manufacturer options that anyone knows will work?
I know most Logitech cameras will work with OS X, you just wont be able to use the special effects features that the windows software offers (which sucks anyways so who really cares, right?).

A good cheap Logitech cam is the QuickCam STX, I have it setup on my Dell desktop and it works fairly nicely. I think I paid about $45 for it from Newegg a few months ago.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
FragTek said:
I just downloaded the Skype 1.5.0.17 beta w/ webcam support and it works beautifully! The video stream is lag-free and the image stays nice and crisp.

Highly recommended for video chat with PC users. Unfortunately the new Beta isn't publicly available for download yet, I'll let ya know when it is :)

where did you get it?

Coutsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I've found macam drivers page and see that the logitech quickcam express is supported. However what it does not say is will it or won't it work with Yahoo Messenger. Can anyone advise as to whether if I get Mac support for a webcam will it almost certainly work with Yahoo Messenger or this amsn.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.