Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I hate system tray icons, and want to get rid of it. I'm not using xp however and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I don't know how to get rid of the system tray icons...but
Why get rid of it? I find it terribly convienent since when you "float" your cursor over the icon, it displays how far along you are in your protein. For example, mine says "175/200"...it sure beats opening the GUI when one doesn't need to.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Re: Any way to hide the system tray icon in winblows?

Originally posted by jethroted

... I'm not using xp however and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Talk about one of the neatest things about XP... 'Cept I have a weird one that allows removal of hardware, but the thing it lists to remove is a built-in CD-RW/DVD (go figure).

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Re: Any way to hide the system tray icon in winblows?

Originally posted by jethroted
I hate system tray icons, and want to get rid of it. I'm not using xp however and I don't know how to get rid of it.

I will check it out on my Non-XP Non-Mac PC's. If I find anything I will post it. Sorta like a stealth mode operation.....

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
And for those of you looking for how to set the command line to run as a service in windows NT/2000/XP Go Here.

Just make sure you crunch for Team 3446! :D

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
you could try an app called WatchCat (google for it)

that might hide it, although its designed more for hiding taskbar stuff so might not do what you want...

LWD_JAmZSeSSioN

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
Originally posted by Stelliform
And for those of you looking for how to set the command line to run as a service in windows NT/2000/XP Go Here.

Just make sure you crunch for Team 3446! :D

Great choice Stelliform. I stumbled across that site a couple months ago. Easiest setup.

I also use FoldMonitor to keep an eye on the clients

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.