PDA

View Full Version : nike ipod with regular ipod

swingerofbirch
Jul 2, 2006, 12:51 AM
I have a shuffle and a 5g ipod 30 gig.....I was looking at the literature for the Nike iPod kit, and it only mentions it working with the nano. Is the nano dock connector different from the regular iPod? If it isn't, shouldn't the kit work with the 5g iPod as well?

zap2
Jul 2, 2006, 12:52 AM
o thing its more a software thing then hardware, why it won't work with the 5G, guess they thing a flash based iPod shoul be the only running iPod

Chundles
Jul 2, 2006, 12:53 AM
I have a shuffle and a 5g ipod 30 gig.....I was looking at the literature for the Nike iPod kit, and it only mentions it working with the nano. Is the nano dock connector different from the regular iPod? If it isn't, shouldn't the kit work with the 5g iPod as well?

It's not a function of the dock connector, the Nike+iPod functions are only a part of the iPod nano firmware. You can plug in the receiver to the iPod but it won't do anything.

swingerofbirch
Jul 2, 2006, 03:03 AM
Why would Apple handicap the flagship Apple--perhaps to suggest that the hard drive based iPod isn't well suite for running?

dextertangocci
Jul 2, 2006, 03:08 AM
Why would Apple handicap the flagship Apple--perhaps to suggest that the hard drive based iPod isn't well suite for running?

Yes, there is way too much strain put on the HD when you run with it, and Apple will be forced to replace all the iPods with broken HD's if they allow the Nike + iPod thing to work with thee 5G iPod.

Chundles
Jul 2, 2006, 03:09 AM

Liability.

HDDs do not respond well to the constant shaking involved in jogging/running. Allowing for the Nike+iPod stuff to work on the iPod would constitute Apple suggesting that running with the iPod would be a reasonable activity and thus any problems that occur during the jog from damage to the HDD would come under warranty and Apple would have to repair them.

The nano doesn't suffer from any of the problems associated with a hard drive and as such is the correct choice for this partnership. It is conceivable that a cut down version to work with the shuffle could be forthcoming but it would lack a lot of the features the nano can provide due to the screen.

steve_hill4
Jul 2, 2006, 07:54 AM
Too many fail to understand that HD based iPods aren't designed for running. The most I have used mine for is cycling, but it has been in a fixed position throughout.

Explain the nano and shuffle are more designed for exercise and people are happy enough to compromise.

chairguru22
Jul 2, 2006, 12:34 PM
you are all wrong. its for money. apple wants you to buy another ipod if you want to use nike+ipod.

nsutt22
Jul 2, 2006, 12:41 PM
you are all wrong. its for money. apple wants you to buy another ipod if you want to use nike+ipod.

I am sure they are not all wrong. There reasons are very true as well as yours. Thats a pretty hefty statement.

17luv
Jul 3, 2006, 09:22 AM
Too many fail to understand that HD based iPods aren't designed for running. The most I have used mine for is cycling, but it has been in a fixed position throughout.

Explain the nano and shuffle are more designed for exercise and people are happy enough to compromise.

I always wondered why I didn't see any running straps/bands for it. Guess that answers that :| Curious though about the iPod minis would they work with it or the same problem-I never had any problems running with the mini...