Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
After doing a clean reinstall of OS 10.4.6, then installing Xcode 2.3, then doing the combo updater to 10.4.7, I'm having troubles getting X11 to work. When I try to install the package X11user, the following message appears: You cannot istall X11 on this volume. Newer software already exists on your computer.

However X11 doesn't work: when I try to launch it the application button briefly appears in the dock, bounces up and down once, then disappears again and no X11 has started.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Could it be that there are some remainders of X11 left on my machine, from before doing the upgrade, that the X11 package now is conflicting with?

Thanks

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
the same thing happened to me with my iMac ( 20inch intel ). I had to spotlight search X11, then i deleted all the files and rebooted and i got it to work. I cant give you a reason why but it was a huge pain in the butt. I think i even started a thread about it. Good luck!

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
EvilDoc said:
the same thing happened to me with my iMac ( 20inch intel ). I had to spotlight search X11, then i deleted all the files and rebooted and i got it to work. I cant give you a reason why but it was a huge pain in the butt. I think i even started a thread about it. Good luck!

Hi, do you mean you deleted all files with the string x11 in them? Do you mean that after rebooting it directly worked, or that you were able to reinstall the X11User.pkg after reboot?

Thanks.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
O.k., here's the solution: on DVD 1 that came with the mbp, SCROLL DOWN to find the package Optional_Installs.mpkg. Click it, and in it, under Applications, you'll find X11. Install this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.