Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batman123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Some Place Only You Know...
hey, i know this is a windows for mac forum... :( but can someone tell me where i can get vista for my pc (have xp @mo), this is because i dotn have the pleasure of a mac just yet...common sept/august (plleeaasee merom ;))

tA.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
vista hasn't been released yet.

if your not entitled to the beta release, then you probably shouldn't have it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wish I'd gotten a beta license before they stopped. I wonder if there will be a public beta 3 at this point? I am targeting getting a MacBook around January or February and I want Windows, but there's no way I'm getting XP, and I tend to doubt Vista will be shipping.... *le sigh*

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
mkrishnan said:
I wish I'd gotten a beta license before they stopped. I wonder if there will be a public beta 3 at this point? I am targeting getting a MacBook around January or February and I want Windows, but there's no way I'm getting XP, and I tend to doubt Vista will be shipping.... *le sigh*
Well to install vista onto your intel based mac, you need to have a copy of XP first. So that's not looking too good for you.
-dsm

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
DMPDX said:
Well to install vista onto your intel based mac, you need to have a copy of XP first. So that's not looking too good for you.

There are published workarounds for that. And in the long term, when Vista is actually a commercial release, I somehow doubt this will be a limitation....but thank you for your input.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Virtualball said:
What are you guys talking about? :confused:

My understanding is that you will need a license number to run it, and if you don't already have one, you are SOL in getting one. But if I'm wrong, please tell me, so I can go set my iMac to downloading it just in case! ;)

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
mkrishnan said:
My understanding is that you will need a license number to run it, and if you don't already have one, you are SOL in getting one. But if I'm wrong, please tell me, so I can go set my iMac to downloading it just in case! ;)

Oh, well I have 2 :cool:

If you want it, just ask

Oh and for a MacBook, should I get 64-bit or 32-bit

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Virtualball said:
Oh, well I have 2 :cool:

If you want it, just ask

Oh and for a MacBook, should I get 64-bit or 32-bit

Please don't pirate software. You are not entitled to give one of your licenses to another person.

You need the 32-bit version.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Nermal said:
Please don't pirate software. You are not entitled to give one of your licenses to another person.

Oh I thought that since its a free public beta, it isnt illegal

And thanks for the info!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you need to sign up to get a cd key so you can install the thing and activate it to get aeroglass ect, PM me i have a spare valid key somewhere

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
IMHO,

If someone wants to share there beta key, it isn't illegal or immoral. You're allowed to install it on up to 10 computers with the same key. Surely we don't all have it installed on more than 9 computers...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm not sharing it i'm giving it, i never got around to using that key.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
You don't really want vista until beta 3 anyways...beta 2 is definitely a work in progress...

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Nermal said:

How is this pirating:confused:

if he has 2 keys and is only using one, then i think it is perfectly fine to give a legit key to someone else (with any software, not just vista beta)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Electro Funk said:
How is this pirating:confused:

if he has 2 keys and is only using one, then i think it is perfectly fine to give a legit key to someone else (with any software, not just vista beta)

It's licensed for one user. You aren't allowed to "split" the licence in half.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
unless you have multiple licenses which can each be used ten times, which i do through school, heck i could mail him the package if i could be bothered to

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
its a single-user liscense. I didnt use it, so if I give it to someone, its still a single-user liscense.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Are they even doing a Beta 3? Beta 2 did not impress me much at all. Seemed to be a lot of annoying bugs and other performance issues when I ran it. I hope for Microsoft's case that they improve it. I will just keep using OSX and be happy :)

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I installed Vista, and am not really impressed, its the same as XP with a new theme. Quite dissapointing..

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
JDOG_ said:
You don't really want vista until beta 3 anyways...beta 2 is definitely a work in progress...

The next Beta 2 (5456) is already out. Its apparently much more stable and fast than 5384. But its not open to the general public, even those who already have keys. Though the public keys will work on 5456, you just can't download it from Microsoft.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I have Vista Beta 2 (from microsoft, legal beta) and I WAS impressed. They've really tried to improve things, although there is a fundamental problem - they should have rebuilt the OS from the ground up, like OS X was. Instead it's built on XP/NT with a hella lot of inefficient code. So, although I was impressed, it does feel like pack horse carrying twice it's load.

Don't pirate software, even if this was originally free. Just wait until Beta 3 or the final version (a.k.a Beta 4 :p)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
OS X was not built from the ground up, it was based on NeXT software which was based on freeBSD which was based on the original BSD which was based on bell labs UNIX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.