Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Murr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
I would be grateful if anyone could advise me of the software products and methods I would need to create a Quicktime movie of my screen actions?

I have looked at e-learning tutorials on the Web (particularly from Lynda.com - which I would recommend), and am looking to produce similar e-learning tutorials (not in competition, but to teach staff at my work to use the software package).

I really need advice on:
What screen video capture software programme I should use?
How to compress the video and audio files?
How to load them into Quicktime?
How to make the Quicktime movie instantaneous on an intranet Web-site?
(Do I need things like Codecs - if so which ones and how do I use them?
and do I need a Streaming Server - again, which one and how)?

Any advice or help would be brilliant.

Thanks

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
To capture your screen in video, use: Snapz Pro X.

You press Shift - Command - 3 to start recording the movie and again to stop. Once you've stopped it, it asks for encoding details.

I wouldn't use H.264 - although it's great not all computers on your intranet will support it.

I just tested the app for you and used the standard H.263 and made a not so big file. Quicktime files are mostly progressive so they'll load as they download, rather than downloading first and then playing. So this should be ok for what you want.

However, if you own QuickTime Pro, you can use that to re-export the video, checking the "fast web start" option.

No codecs are needed if you use just a standard H.263, all computers should be able to play it.

I doubt you'll need a streaming server, unless the one you host it from is particularly slow.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.