PDA

View Full Version : Sony PooS

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2006, 01:24 PM
http://news.spong.com/article/10326?cb=719

Not happy with all the amazing press coverage competitor Nintendo has accrued with the daft toilet-humour name for its forthcoming console, Sony it seems has gone one better and, according to German website Gamefront, registered the name ‘P oo S’

Now whilst this looks like poo, it actually stands for ‘P ∞ S’ - note the tiny infinity symbol looks like "oo". Still, we thought we’d be the first to get in with the "poo" gag before west coast America gets to work and comes up with a thousand other daft poo-related gags.

Knowing that our GCSE grade C German would one day come in handy, we can inform you that Gamefront reports: "Sony has patented 'P oo S', but we don't know what it is. Perhaps it's the name of the controller.” The site also says that oo is the symbol for infinity, which actually looks like this; ∞

If it does make use of the infinity sign, which is what the PS2 network has always had, then we suspect that it’s far more likely that this is the name for the PS3 online network, previously referred to at E3 last month as ‘PlayStation Network Platform’.

‘P ∞ S’ (or Poos as we are already affectionately referring to it, if only to avoid copy/pasting the symbol or typing "infinity") is a pretty clever name on a number of levels, should this rumour turn out to be true. It means that Sony keep the geek hardcore amused with the necessary toilet-humour, whilst at the same time managing to come up with a name that is arguably even worse than Xbox 360.

More news on Sony’s PooS, Nintendo’s Wii and whatever hilariously tangential toilet-related product name Microsoft comes up with in response as we get it.

Now, the first rule of rumors is to never trust Spong, the most unreliable gaming rumor site on the internet. They do claim to be getting this from gamefront.de, a reliable german gaming site, though. Anyone who speaks German want to confirm?

True or not, it gave me a laugh :)

DavidLeblond
Jul 3, 2006, 01:54 PM
Sony maybe a little on the slow side these days, but they're not THIS dumb. :)

2nyRiggz
Jul 3, 2006, 02:11 PM
PooS...ha ha ha..please don't sony....just name it PGN(Playstation Gaming Network) or Playstation Underground....PooS?...yea i smell it.

Bless

MacRumorUser
Jul 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
What a pile of poos....

I'd love to be in the Sony board meeting when PS3 stumbles, falls, breaks it leg and the poos really hits the fan :)

takao
Jul 3, 2006, 03:07 PM
Now, the first rule of rumors is to never trust Spong, the most unreliable gaming rumor site on the internet. They do claim to be getting this from gamefront.de, a reliable german gaming site, though. Anyone who speaks German want to confirm?

True or not, it gave me a laugh :)

yeah they brought that news on the 29.06

original posting:

"Sony schützt Markenbezeichnung für Controller

29.06.06 - Sony hat beim japanischen Patentamt die Bezeichnung P oo S (PS Controller)' schützen lassen. Um was es sich handelt, ist unklar: Vielleicht ist P oo S ein Logo, das auf dem Controller angebracht wird. Das Zeichen 'oo' - ähnelt einer um 90 Grad gedrehten 8 - kann auch symbolisch für Unbegrenztheit oder Unendlichkeit stehen."

sadly they did put up a link but it's something normal to them to post about new game related japanese trademarks

i read them daily (or better hourly ;) since they normally conveniently put together all those small news or sometimes rumors summed up neatly without the drama of kotaku/joystiq and without the horrendous loading times of the bigger news sites

twistedlegato
Jul 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
And people thought that he name "wii" was bad:rolleyes:

Well look..that persons using some kind of thing called a..."PooS"???:p

Counterfit
Jul 3, 2006, 03:25 PM
(or Poos as we are already affectionately referring to it, if only to avoid copy/pasting the symbol or typing "infinity")
Option-5 :D ?

Gah! Where's Doctor Q when you need him. :(

MacRumorUser
Jul 3, 2006, 03:46 PM
Well Ken Katugari had been talking a lot of ***** lately...

PooS my Arse

Chaszmyr
Jul 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
When I look at PooS i see PoS.

ravenvii
Jul 3, 2006, 03:57 PM
Piece Infinity ****?

That must be a really, really big ****.

greatdevourer
Jul 3, 2006, 04:18 PM
Hehe, we've nearly done the entire toilet :)

Dagless
Jul 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
This cannot possibly be true... can it?

chairguru22
Jul 3, 2006, 06:44 PM
http://newsinjection.ihug.co.nz/Mar04/images/PlayStationNetLogo_150.jpg

apparently in the UK the online service for PlayStation 2 is called 'PlayStation Net'

i think theyre hideous but i dont really care.

PooS also looks kinda like POS which people call the playstation by so im not sure this is the brightest marketing idea..