PDA

View Full Version : 3 gen iPod battery problem.

Nuks
Jul 3, 2006, 04:43 PM
I used to charge from a firewire cable, but am now forced to use a USB. The USB won't charge my iPod (3 gen) from the computer, so I bought a USB power adaptor to charge from the wall, and this doesn't work either. When I plug it in, the apple symbol shows, and then a low battery sign (?) (it's a battery almost empty with an exclamation point next to it). The power adaptor says it will work with my ipod (all iPods with a dock connector...)

Any help?
Thanks.

Revlimit Punk
Jul 3, 2006, 05:00 PM
Did you try just leaving the ipod plugged for 3-4 hours (without touching it)? Probably there is not enough juice left in the ipod and you have to wait for it to charge to a sufficient level before you can turn it on again.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 3, 2006, 05:15 PM
That model iPod can't charge via a USB port. You need to get a firewire charger/cable.

Revlimit Punk
Jul 3, 2006, 05:42 PM
thejadedmonkey is right... the only way to charge and sync simultaneously a 3rd gen iPod connected to the usb port of your computer is actually using a combination of these two iPod accessories:

1)Firewire power adapter
2)An "Apple iPod Dock Connector to FireWire and USB 2.0 Cable", which is a cable that apple sells for 19$ that connects on one end to the iPod dock connector and on the other end it splits into two: a firewire plug to connect it to the firewire power adapter, and an usb plug to sync with iTunes through the usb port of your computer.

Unfortunately, the description of the usb power adapter on the apple store website is misleading, as it states "Compatible with iPod shuffle and iPod models with dock connector."

Nuks
Jul 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
Alright, that's what I thought... that's really inconvenient, I've sent my firewire/firewire adaptor to my brother who's in another province for the summer, and I don't know how long it will be until I get it back. I just assumed it would work, as it said it would on the box... that sucks. I'm going to email Apple and see what they have to say..

Does Apple even have an email I can reach them at?

Nuks
Jul 4, 2006, 10:07 PM
bump.