PDA

View Full Version : New Stuff Tomorrow?

MacSA
Jul 3, 2006, 04:59 PM
Possible hint from Applesinsider that we might see something new tomorrow (4th July)

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1855

There's recently been some talk about a potential Apple product introduction following the July 4th holiday. However, the rumors are largely unconfirmed at this time.

Specifically, the rumblings suggest a high-end hardware offering could be in the cards. Informed speculation would point to a product based on Intel's Woodcrest line of chips, which were recently introduced.

There are also new configurations of MacBooks in Apple stores - 1GB RAM and bigger hard drives.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 3, 2006, 05:01 PM
There are also new configurations of MacBooks in Apple stores - 1GB RAM and bigger hard drives.
As well as a barrel full of new TV shows.

celebrian23
Jul 3, 2006, 05:03 PM
I seriously doubt they'd release anything new on a national holiday.

Eidorian
Jul 3, 2006, 05:04 PM
1. It's a Tuesday
2. I have the day off.
3. My wallet is ready.

It's a win-win situation for me and Apple.

MacSA
Jul 3, 2006, 05:06 PM
Ohhhh a nice juicy rumour from Thinksecret:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0606macpro.html

New enclosures for the Mac Pro (PowerMac) and MacBook Pro

:D

iGary
Jul 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
1. It's a Tuesday
2. I have the day off.
3. My wallet is ready.

Hey, what's up with the new Merom chip? :p :D

Eidorian
Jul 3, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hey, what's up with the new Merom chip? :p :DMore then likely launched in August and/or available in the fall. I'd settle for a speed bump on the MacBook Pro. The refurb prices are good or I can get a free iPod w/new.

craigatkinson
Jul 3, 2006, 05:15 PM
I just ordered my macbook pro. It's set to be delivered on the 5th. I would be so mad if they announced an upgrade and then shipped me the old model. That would be just my luck though.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 3, 2006, 05:16 PM
I just ordered my macbook pro. It's set to be delivered on the 5th. I would be so mad if they announced an upgrade and then shipped me the old model. That would be just my luck though.
Just exchange it.

craigatkinson
Jul 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Would they just do that? If I sent it back unopened would they give me the new model?

iGary
Jul 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
More then likely launched in August and/or available in the fall. I'd settle for a speed bump on the MacBook Pro. The refurb prices are good or I can get a free iPod w/new.

Second time you missed my attempt at sarcasm. :)

steve_hill4
Jul 3, 2006, 05:18 PM
New enclosure for MacBook Pro? I hope it isn't that different, love the aluminium/titanium PB G4/MBP. I already have mine, so shouldn't care, but want Apple to remain looking stylish.

G5power
Jul 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
Not that Think Secret seems to be very accurate. But I would love to see the new Intel based PowerMac replacements be announced. I am still hopeful that there will be a new mid-range system (not an iMac) but anything new is positive.

Mac_Freak
Jul 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0606macpro.html) reports that PowerMac G5 replacement will feature a new case design. :D
Also reportedly, MacBook Pros will get a new case design too with introduction of Intel Core 2 Duo (aka Merom) chips.

EDIT: Merged thread, old news :)

generik
Jul 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah it is possible.. but this is TS we are talking about :rolleyes:

poppe
Jul 3, 2006, 06:10 PM
Dont get me excited... I'm waiting for the 17 inch Merom...

generik
Jul 3, 2006, 06:11 PM

When's the official release date from Intel for the Core 2 line?

puckhead193
Jul 3, 2006, 06:20 PM
it seems like the imac has been around forever. i think they need to be upgraded tomarrow... so i can place my order :D

SpaceMagic
Jul 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
MacBook/Pro heat problems could indeed lead to a new form factor. It wouldn't surprise me.

As for new products tomorrow, surely Apple Employees are having the day off too?

WildCowboy
Jul 3, 2006, 06:24 PM
When's the official release date from Intel for the Core 2 line?

Supposedly (http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/28/intel_merom_launch/) Conroe the week of July 24th and Merom the week of August 22nd.

Peace
Jul 3, 2006, 06:27 PM
XServe..

freestyleguy128
Jul 3, 2006, 06:30 PM
A new case design? It's called a macbook PRO for a reason, professionals want a sturdy, professional look to their notebooks, not a kiddie multicolored litebrite notebook. If they keep a titanium finish but make a few design changes (ie. integrated keyboard, magnetic latching, etc.) that's OK, but I won't want a kiddie notebook.

poppe
Jul 3, 2006, 06:32 PM
Well what ever it may be, all I know is the Pro Macs need to come out ASAP... was watching Law and Order the 1 P.M. one today if anyone TiVoed it and what commercial was playing?

The new Dell Workstations. Sounded like the new Xeon's were in them. I looked on website but couldn't find the one I saw on TV...

generik
Jul 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
Ohhhh a nice juicy rumour from Thinksecret:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0606macpro.html

:D

If there is really a new MBP case coming soon, I will wet my pants, in public! :D

livingfortoday
Jul 3, 2006, 07:19 PM
If there is really a new MBP case coming soon, I will wet my pants, in public! :D

God I hope you live near Chicago. That's something I wouldn't want to miss!

Lebowski
Jul 3, 2006, 07:26 PM
you guys kill me.

speed bump MacBook Pros!!!! YAY!!

new iMac!!!! YAY!!!

updated iPod!!! YAY!!!

lets update products that are a month or two old!!! YAY!!!!!

i need 800 different models of ipod available at once!!!! YAY!!!!

i wish apple would stop worrying about the damn ipod. Sure, i love it, who doesnt....? But i remeber a time (long long ago) when apple made computers as their first priority. Now all they care about is selling music and ipods, oh, and updating their low end machines every 6 months.

im sooooo glad i have a quad. i dont forsee purchasing an intel mac for as long as possible. they cant even iron out the bugs in the intel laptops that are out now, i cant afford a pro machine with issues.

iEric
Jul 3, 2006, 07:26 PM
looks like i'm not going to buy the macbook pro just for the ipod deal anymore. i want the new enclosure!!

ravenvii
Jul 3, 2006, 07:32 PM
This Ultimate MacBook is no rumor. In fact the MacBook I am typing on, bought two days ago, is the Ultimate Black MacBook... bitches.

This rumor actually explains why my MacBook is $100 more, and has 1 GB of RAM. I only realized this after I got home and checked About This Mac, then the receipt.

amac4me
Jul 3, 2006, 07:35 PM
Smart move by Apple as it allows Apple retail to capitalize on sales as sales associates will not have to tell customers to order the system online. It will also provide customers the added satisfaction of leaving the stores with MacBooks in hand, no need to wait for a system.

Apple probably decided to do this based on customer buying trends.

End result = more MacBooks sold.

Unorthodox
Jul 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
If that rumors is true... All the black MacBook gets is 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB, and it costs $1599.

Compared to 512MB of RAM and costing $1499.
But you can upgrade to 1GB of RAM for $100, making the total $1599.

It's the same thing.

iJawn108
Jul 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
Though the macbooks are nice, i don''t care for them anymore. I hope the MBPs get a case update to match the sleekness of the MB(visually more appealing to me) but keeps its features andresolve the heat problem. it would cheer me up alot if a new product was announced.

QCassidy352
Jul 3, 2006, 07:39 PM
I don't think we'll see anything new tomorrow. But I do think selling upgraded macbooks in retail stores is good.

archurban
Jul 3, 2006, 07:50 PM
If that rumors is true... All the black MacBook gets is 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB, and it costs $1599.

Compared to 512MB of RAM and costing $1499.
But you can upgrade to 1GB of RAM for $100, making the total $1599.

It's the same thing.

it's not rumor. new configuration is already set up for macbook more than two weeks ago. first post I saw in apple discussion forum. I also checked it out myself 10 days ago. it's only available from retail store. not online. by the way new white macbook configuration price is NOT $1449. it's $1499. so it's $50 higher than online.

Eidorian
Jul 3, 2006, 07:53 PM
If there's a Mini update my brother buys a Mini. If there's a MacBook Pro bump I'll buy a refurbished one or even new. Both, we both buy Macs.

bayol05
Jul 3, 2006, 07:54 PM

rockandrule
Jul 3, 2006, 07:56 PM
This whole "Ultimate" thing isn't new, at least not as far as I know. All of the Apple stores I have been to in Florida have always sold a model with a little bit better specs as the "Ultimate". They used to do it with all of the PBs and iMacs back when they were PPC.

nagromme
Jul 3, 2006, 08:01 PM
i wish apple would stop worrying about the damn ipod. Sure, i love it, who doesnt....? But i remeber a time (long long ago) when apple made computers as their first priority. Now all they care about is selling music and ipods, oh, and updating their low end machines every 6 months.
I'm wondering what evidence leads you to believe Apple has pulled personnel, money, or other resources away from the Mac projects in order to work on iPods and music?

I've been led to believe that the iPod division has actually turned a profit, thus paying for its own R&D :)

I don't think computers have become less of a priority for Apple. In fact, I hear tell of a massive architecture transition underway on the Mac side...

(It would even seem as though more Macs have been introduced in recent months than iPods.)

bousozoku
Jul 3, 2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah it is possible.. but this is TS we are talking about :rolleyes:

They were always good, until Apple stopped their source.

Even the enterprise watchers are expecting new Xserve models based on Woodcrest any moment now.

rumplestiltskin
Jul 3, 2006, 08:14 PM
"Ultimate" would imply the best, top of the line. However, 1GB of RAM in a system that can take 2GB (and works very well with 2GB I will mention from personal experience) is, perhaps, the "Pretty Good" MacBook.

:rolleyes:

conditionals
Jul 3, 2006, 08:19 PM
you guys kill me.

i wish apple would stop worrying about the damn ipod.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. There's already been at least zero iPods released this year.

pincho
Jul 3, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I know. It sucks. There's already been at least zero iPods released this year.
U2 iPod :p

BackInTheSaddle
Jul 3, 2006, 08:45 PM
Yawn. Wake me up when the MacBook comes with 2GB of RAM and a 160GB drive as the "ultimate" config. (I guess I'll be sleeping a long time...)

Jul 3, 2006, 09:20 PM
This would make no sense!! They would not release on the 4th of July, plus the prices are way too high for all MBs to go this way! Makes no sense!!!

DJMastaWes
Jul 3, 2006, 09:23 PM
Yawn. Wake me up when the MacBook comes with 2GB of RAM and a 160GB drive as the "ultimate" config. (I guess I'll be sleeping a long time...)
MBP don't even have 160GB, why would the MBs get it?

mmmcheese
Jul 3, 2006, 09:42 PM

Wow...I wonder how many cores would fit on 17 inches of silicon?!? ;)

craigatkinson
Jul 3, 2006, 09:43 PM
What in the world are you talking about? I think you and others are confused by the rumor. No one ever said that the new retail configurations are going to become standard. Actually, it's not a rumor at all, there are new configurations in the retail stores that you can buy stock instead of BTO. The rumor was that there may be something new coming out tomorrow, but no one knows what if there is. That rumor was merely announced side by side with the 'fact' that Apple has provided more configurations of the macbooks in the retail stores.
This thread has gotten way out of hand.

This would make no sense!! They would not release on the 4th of July, plus the prices are way too high for all MBs to go this way! Makes no sense!!!

reubs
Jul 3, 2006, 10:00 PM
The retail stores always carry "ultimate" models with upgraded ram and hard drive, and sometimes upgraded mb of vram. You can walk into a retail store right now and buy the Black MacBook Ultimate with 1GB (2x512). The white ultimate has the 80gb hd upgrade and 1GB ram (2x512). I believe the white ultimate is 1449 and the black ultimate is 1549. And I don't think that the black macbook ultimate has a hd upgrade. This is just like you could have walked in a year ago and bought the 15" Powerbook Ultimate. Nothing new...I have VERY solid resources to know this. Sorry to take down your hopes...

Agreed...this is nothing special. TO get this online takes only two clicks. If they sold such a product at $1400 and $1500, that would be a deal...or even $1300 and $1400 would make this "special".

If this is indeed true, all the stores are doing is saving the consumer the trouble of making such upgrade decisions themselves.

aswitcher
Jul 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
Well here's hoping for something new, likely the last update before wwdc.

AidenShaw
Jul 3, 2006, 10:36 PM
Supposedly (http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/28/intel_merom_launch/) Conroe the week of July 24th and Merom the week of August 22nd.
And, of course, Woodcrest is already out... :cool:

iAlan
Jul 3, 2006, 10:54 PM
I have noticed that several retailers in Tokyo have reduced the prices of hte G5 towers, including Bic Camera which has a relatively nicely sized Apple area in it's Shinjuku flagship store that has teh G5 price drop (not sure he prices as i just looked at hte 'stickers' while passing)

When they have done this in the past it was usually a week or so before an upgrade was announced - and I don't know how long the prices have been discounted. If past action holds true then an upgrade is on hte way - and by upgrade I mean Intell towers

<crosses fingers and prays to any and all gods who will listen>

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 3, 2006, 10:57 PM
I am surprised that there have been no attacks on Apple for charing more the black model than the white model. :eek: WTF?

whmees
Jul 3, 2006, 10:58 PM
While I am one to favor the current MBP design, I do believe that if they were to offer a black-anodized metal casing, that'd pretty much be the most awesome looking laptop ever.

Eidorian
Jul 3, 2006, 11:11 PM
I am surprised that there have been no attacks on Apple for charing more the black model than the white model. :eek: WTF?gb2/last month/

brepublican
Jul 3, 2006, 11:14 PM
Apple, please bring back the Black Wallstreet type laptops wtf!!??

Oh wait...

emaja
Jul 3, 2006, 11:29 PM

Is there something keeping you from ordering the base configuration and adding the RAM and HD yourself while saving money at the same time?

supremedesigner
Jul 3, 2006, 11:30 PM
Possible hint from Applesinsider that we might see something new tomorrow (4th July)

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1855

There's recently been some talk about a potential Apple product introduction following the July 4th holiday. However, the rumors are largely unconfirmed at this time.

Specifically, the rumblings suggest a high-end hardware offering could be in the cards. Informed speculation would point to a product based on Intel's Woodcrest line of chips, which were recently introduced.

So many things will happen on Tuesday:
1) Possibly new macbook 15" (we already know they offer bigger HD, etc.)
2) MacPro
3) iMac as in black color
4) 19" MBP
5) Full size TV and Movies
6) iPhone / iTalk
7) New iPods
8) Mac mini will offer up to 500GB
9) ACD now come with iSight, remote control
10) They probably won't release #1 to 9 until they unveild Powerbook G5 ;)

archurban
Jul 3, 2006, 11:41 PM
yeah, many things are happened tuesday. but not this time. have a nice holiday! Independence Day. well, somebody could make apple shape firecracker when it is blown up!

JackSYi
Jul 3, 2006, 11:41 PM
While I am one to favor the current MBP design, I do believe that if they were to offer a black-anodized metal casing, that'd pretty much be the most awesome looking laptop ever.

I definitely agree with you on that one.

Eidorian
Jul 3, 2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe Apple should celebrate our independence from Windows with new Macs? Yeah, it's my brother's joke...

luminosity
Jul 3, 2006, 11:52 PM
Why should there ever be a new enclosure for the MBP? It's perfection as it is. you can't improve on it.

generik
Jul 4, 2006, 12:03 AM

The white apple logo won't go very well with the black though..

emaja
Jul 4, 2006, 12:13 AM

It looks just fine on my BlackBook.

Cygnus311
Jul 4, 2006, 12:40 AM
MBP don't even have 160GB, why would the MBs get it?

They can upgrade the MBPs too and they'll become the "Super Ultimate MacBook Pro Hyper Extreme 2000s."

nagromme
Jul 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
I am surprised that there have been no attacks on Apple for charing more the black model than the white model. :eek: WTF?

I'll take this one :)

HOW did Apple think people were going to pay more for a choice of color??

And WHY were they right? (As evidenced by adding another black config.)

Not that I wouldn't be tempted, but... if black costs more, do it like the old iMac DVs: just make the top model be the other color, with specs that justify the price on their own.

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 01:15 AM

I hope they get it right. Current PowerMac case is absolutely GORGEROUS. I honestly don't know how they could improve upon it (lookswise that is). But I trust that Apple will surprise me pleasantly if they do decide to change the case.

MacQuest
Jul 4, 2006, 01:17 AM

Maxed out ram? On ANY computer by ANY manufacturer WITHOUT severely hiking the price? It won't happen.

Also, yes, you'll be sleeping a long time considering I haven't even seen a notebook SATA drive larger than 120GB yet.

Too bad though, I know how hard it is to replace the ram and hard drive on a MacBook. :rolleyes:

whmees
Jul 4, 2006, 01:21 AM

i imagine what would go really well would be the black anodized case with an apple outline with a white light behind it.

yeah. that'd pretty much be the most awesome thing as well. :D

SiriusExcelsior
Jul 4, 2006, 01:28 AM
i imagine what would go really well would be the black anodized case with an apple outline with a white light behind it.

White apple on black sure looked good on that wallstreet in my room.. too bad it's upside down :cool:

It looks pretty good on the black macbook too.. makes quite a statement. I still prefer the wallstreet/lombard/pismo styling tho (what other notebook/laptop ever looked as professional as a tuxedo!!:D )

MrCrowbar
Jul 4, 2006, 01:28 AM

Ultimate Macbook ey? With just 512 MB RAM more than the original black? LOL, I'll keep my Uber Macbook then (see sig). :D The hard drive is getting small though... should bet a bigger one soon I think.

cloudnine
Jul 4, 2006, 01:29 AM
i wonder if the "new case for macbook pros" means that they'll finally release a 12" MBP... one can dream, eh?

MacQuest
Jul 4, 2006, 01:29 AM
i wish apple would stop worrying about the damn ipod. Sure, i love it, who doesnt....? But i remeber a time (long long ago) when apple made computers as their first priority. Now all they care about is selling music and ipods

Wow... just... wow.

This post might have been accurate circa 2005.

Within the past almost 7 months, since January 10th, we've seen the introduction of 3 MacBook Pro's, an update to 2 of those 15" models [twice], 2 Intel iMacs, 2 Intel Mac mini's, 3 MacBooks, and now even upgraded versions of those MacBooks.

With the exception of the 1GB nano and, as another member jokingly pointed out, the U2 iPod, the iPod hasn't been refreshed since October of last year, 10 months ago.

So 10+ new Macs in less than 7 months vs. 2 iPods in 10 months.

Do you really consider that to be a sign that Apple is focusing more on iPods instead of Macs?! :eek: :rolleyes:

amateurmacfreak
Jul 4, 2006, 01:31 AM
I'm confused as hell.
All I was is for Apple to release a sub-$1,00o laptop... but I guess that's never happening....

Kelmon
Jul 4, 2006, 01:52 AM

No kidding. That's the bad boy I've been waiting about a year to buy and am prepping my shopping list for its release. The news of a new enclosure for it is good since I'm not a fan of the current Aluminium case (the case is fine but I just don't like silver keys - the black ones on my current PowerBook are nicer) but I'm disappointed that I may not get the opportunity to either see one at WWDC or even order one in August.

I'm pretty much counting the days at the momemt but that's a little hard when you don't know how many days you are counting...

Scarlet Fever
Jul 4, 2006, 01:59 AM
do the "ultimate" macbooks have a dedicated GPU? if they don't, i can't see whats so "ultimate" about them.

The rumored quad/oct core MacPro sounds pretty ultimate :D

wmmk
Jul 4, 2006, 02:08 AM
do the "ultimate" macbooks have a dedicated GPU? if they don't, i can't see whats so "ultimate" about them.

The rumored quad/oct core MacPro sounds pretty ultimate :D
as has been said many times, the "ultimate" mb is just a BTO mb offered as stock at apple stores for $50 extra. yawn.

mrweirdo
Jul 4, 2006, 02:09 AM
yeah, many things are happened tuesday. but not this time. have a nice holiday! Independence Day. well, somebody could make apple shape firecracker when it is blown up!

LOL for some reason I can see a professional firework display put on by apple near hq's with lots of apple shaped fireworks :P Heck if they can make smiley faces, heart shaped fireworks they sure as hell can make one look like an Apple for them. Now that would be cool too :D

zephead
Jul 4, 2006, 02:10 AM
They can upgrade the MBPs too and they'll become the "Super Ultimate MacBook Pro Hyper Extreme 2000s."
I'll take one of those, please. :D

treysmay
Jul 4, 2006, 02:22 AM
hmm, I wonder if their gonna make the new Mac pro enclosure black with sharper angles. like the g5 case but scaled down with super square angles, powder coated or ceramic coated aluminum, with a white apple symbol on the side.

MacQuest
Jul 4, 2006, 02:24 AM
Supposedly Conroe the week of July 24th and Merom the week of August 22nd.

And, of course, Woodcrest is already out... :cool:

Yup. I say the profesional level Mac Pro[s] [PowerMac replacements @ $2000+] will use Woodcrest chips and will possibly be announced pre-WWDC, maybe as early as tomorrow. If so, they'll probably be shipping mid-month at the earliest, but most likely by the end of this month or they'll announce "Now Shipping" at WWDC in a month.

I think after the release of Conroe chips on the 27th of this month, WWDC will bring us new consumer level and priced Mac mini-towers ["Mac Pro mini", or maybe just "Mac"... whatev]. Probably only 2 models in the $1000 - $1500 range.

I think what makes the most sense is for Apple to ship the professional level Mac Pro's in time to reach customers before WWDC, and then release the consumer level Mac Pro's at WWDC to avoid as many order cancellations as possible.

If the professional level Mac Pro's aren't introduced until WWDC, then I think we'll see the consumer level Mac Pro mini towers introduced 5 weeks later at Apple Expo Paris in the first half of September.

It would be kinda cool to see SJ introduce the anticapated Mac Pro at WWDC and then have the "One More Thing..." be the Mac Pro mini tower.

sam10685
Jul 4, 2006, 02:25 AM
1. It's a Tuesday
2. I have the day off.
3. My wallet is ready.

4. it's a national holiday.
5. why would they release something on a national holiday?

MacQuest
Jul 4, 2006, 02:30 AM
Why should there ever be a new enclosure for the MBP? It's perfection as it is. you can't improve on it.

That's what everyone said about the colored plastic clamshell iBooks.

Oh wait... no they didn't. ;) :p

sam10685
Jul 4, 2006, 02:31 AM
So many things will happen on Tuesday:
1) Possibly new macbook 15" (we already know they offer bigger HD, etc.)
2) MacPro
3) iMac as in black color
4) 19" MBP
5) Full size TV and Movies
6) iPhone / iTalk
7) New iPods
8) Mac mini will offer up to 500GB
9) ACD now come with iSight, remote control
10) They probably won't release #1 to 9 until they unveild Powerbook G5 ;)

that would be nice. wont happen on the same day though.

MacQuest
Jul 4, 2006, 02:40 AM
1. It's a Tuesday
2. I have the day off.
3. My wallet is ready.

6. Many people like Eidorian are at home with their wallet and credit cards in hand
7. The online store will take orders for a newly announced product
8. Retail locations are open
9. Many people who may be waiting to see what a Mac Pro offers may realize, upon it's release, that it isn't for them and decide to go to a retail store to buy any of the other Macs.

The more I think about all this, the more I feel like a Mac Pro release is imminent AND will be accompanied by a quiet speed bump for both iMacs.

The iMacs have been out for just under 6 months. They're due.

toughboy
Jul 4, 2006, 02:53 AM
Wow... just... wow.

This post might have been accurate circa 2005.

Within the past almost 7 months, since January 10th, we've seen the introduction of 3 MacBook Pro's, an update to 2 of those 15" models [twice], 2 Intel iMacs, 2 Intel Mac mini's, 3 MacBooks, and now even upgraded versions of those MacBooks.

With the exception of the 1GB nano and, as another member jokingly pointed out, the U2 iPod, the iPod hasn't been refreshed since October of last year, 10 months ago.

So 10+ new Macs in less than 7 months vs. 2 iPods in 10 months.

Do you really consider that to be a sign that Apple is focusing more on iPods instead of Macs?! :eek: :rolleyes:

+1

bigandy
Jul 4, 2006, 03:07 AM
i'm watching intently.. whatever happens i'll be going for a nice beefy midrange MBP come September, when my student loan comes through, because with my nice cushy job i won't need it for anything else :cool:

Cygnus311
Jul 4, 2006, 03:13 AM
hmm, I wonder if their gonna make the new Mac pro enclosure black with sharper angles. like the g5 case but scaled down with super square angles, powder coated or ceramic coated aluminum, with a white apple symbol on the side.

Sounds good. I can also picture a glowing outline of the Apple logo through the front grill. But then, that might look dumb seeing as I have no credibility in computer design. :)

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 03:31 AM

It's not a national holiday in Finland ;).

netdog
Jul 4, 2006, 03:42 AM
I don't expect anything, especially as they quietly announced the MB retail options just before the holiday.

Then again, if they do announce something, today is Independence Day. How about an iPhone to help us cut the wires, or some great new wireless product?

Speaking of wireless, where the heck is a new Airport Express with AirVideo extensions?

Again, to reiterate, nothing is coming today.

NewSc2
Jul 4, 2006, 03:48 AM
Bah, just release a Macbook Pro 13" and get it all over with.

$1600 for a iBook*??

Max on Macs
Jul 4, 2006, 03:53 AM
I just ordered a brand new MacBook Pro having officially killed mine (well the keyboard has a missing key and the MagSafe is broke) so I hope they don't upgrade it too soon. I already bought two this yer :o

Cygnus311
Jul 4, 2006, 03:54 AM
I just ordered a brand new MacBook Pro having officially killed mine (well the keyboard has a missing key and the MagSafe is broke) so I hope they don't upgrade it too soon. I already bought two this yer :o

Why didn't the warranty cover it?

ahuman7341
Jul 4, 2006, 03:54 AM
WHAT! how can you spend that much money?

If it didn't just pay to get it fixed and pawn it off

BenRoethig
Jul 4, 2006, 04:00 AM
MacBook:
If they are going to release an "ultimate" MacBook, it needs a 64mb ATI or Nvidia hypermemory graphics chip. $1500 is too expensive for GMA950. A Celeron-M 430 machine with a 40gb hard drive for $899 would help sell some more on the low end.

MacPro:
It really needs a new case. The G5 case was beautiful but really inefficient with space due to the cooling system.

Silentwave
Jul 4, 2006, 04:20 AM
Tuesday + ThinkSecret + New stuff = Powerbook G5!

Squire
Jul 4, 2006, 04:37 AM
Is this thread about the new MacBook configs, a new MacBook Pro enclosure, or the release of the Mac Pro? All of the above, I guess. <edit: Looks like it's called "New Stuff Tomorrow?" on the forums page. I like that better.>

So, the MacBook Ultimate, as others have noted, is nothing new. I'm guessing that a MBP enclosure refresh is due because of its lacking features vs. the MacBook. Namely, the ability to replace the hard drive. Pros have no interest in replacing a hard drive??

As far as the Mac Pro / rumored mini tower is concerned, I wonder if they will keep the current PM G5 enclosure for the high end (Woodcrest) model and introduce a new enclosure for the lower end (Conroe) tower. [And when I say "lower end" I mean in terms of towers. If they do this, I suspect it would be slightly better than a top-of-the-line iMac.]

That would kind of make sense, wouldn't it? More space for HD bays, massive graphics cards, several dozen RAM slots, etc. Surely a computer sporting specs slightly better than the iMac wouldn't need all that space in the PM G5 enclosure. (BTW, how's the heat of the Woodcrest vs. the Conroe? Would the Woodcrest need all kinds of space for fans and radiators and stuff? ;))

-Squire

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 04:38 AM
MacBook:
If they are going to release an "ultimate" MacBook, it needs a 64mb ATI or Nvidia hypermemory graphics chip.

They are not going to release a model with dedicated graphics. If they do, then ALL the models will get dedicated graphics. They simply can't justifie having one separate MacBook with dedicated graphics.

EMKoper
Jul 4, 2006, 05:30 AM
Apple laptop enclosures are nice looking and functional (not sure I would call them perfect) but not in need of some sort of overhaul. The Power Mac case, on the other hand, though I like the way it looks, it is quite dysfunctional! I like my G4 PM case much better ... space for 2 optical drives, 4 internal HDs. The new case should have this type of capacity and a some well hidden FW and powered USB ports in the front.

uv23
Jul 4, 2006, 07:05 AM

++
Yes please. That's what I'm waiting for.

Lone Deranger
Jul 4, 2006, 07:25 AM

6. Because it's only a national holiday...
7. Not an International one..
8. There is a whole world outside the borders of the USA....

:)

dlastmango
Jul 4, 2006, 07:40 AM
I hope they get it right. Current PowerMac case is absolutely GORGEROUS. I honestly don't know how they could improve upon it (lookswise that is). But I trust that Apple will surprise me pleasantly if they do decide to change the case.

My only request for a new tower case is APPLE, Please make it rack mountable! the G5 case is too long to lay flat.

Other than that its great!

Eidorian
Jul 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
6. Many people like Eidorian are at home with their wallet and credit cards in hand
7. The online store will take orders for a newly announced product
8. Retail locations are open
9. Many people who may be waiting to see what a Mac Pro offers may realize, upon it's release, that it isn't for them and decide to go to a retail store to buy any of the other Macs.

The more I think about all this, the more I feel like a Mac Pro release is imminent AND will be accompanied by a quiet speed bump for both iMacs.

The iMacs have been out for just under 6 months. They're due.Thanks for the defense. I'm going to spend the day grilling with my family and then tonight watching the fireworks in town. That leaves me with at least several hours to hop over to the Apple store or I can sit in my underwear ordering online. :D

MacSA
Jul 4, 2006, 08:23 AM
Hmm doesn't look like anythings coming today.

Eidorian
Jul 4, 2006, 08:24 AM
Hmm doesn't look like anythings coming today.It's still not 9 AM PST.

Chundles
Jul 4, 2006, 08:28 AM
I wasn't expecting anything today anyway - don't know where the rumours came from, if they came from the new retail MacBook configs that's just silly, all they are are ways for the Apple stores to sell more machines by stocking some of the more popular configs. The same thing is done with all the Mac models, even here where we only have resellers we can purchase the "Ultimate" versions.

It's past the time the store does it's normal "We'll be back within the hour" thing.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Macnoviz
Jul 4, 2006, 08:29 AM
Speaking of integrated vs dedicated graphics, if you have requirements that say nVidia (fill in card name) or higher needed (or ATI) where would you place the MB integrated intel graphics?

Multimedia
Jul 4, 2006, 08:35 AM
This is one of the most cynical moves I have ever seen Apple make. What that are "adding" is not worth the difference in any way. It is much wiser to buy the original models and upgrade with MORE RAM and a BIGGER HD yourself for the same money or less. :mad: :eek:

prostuff1
Jul 4, 2006, 08:36 AM

$1600 for a iBook*??

I'm with you. If they do, that might actually convince me to upgrade before christmas. The way it was looking was i was going to have to wait until after to pay for the 15in MBP...which i don't really want.

Multimedia
Jul 4, 2006, 08:40 AM
Speaking of integrated vs dedicated graphics, if you have requirements that say nVidia (fill in card name) or higher needed (or ATI) where would you place the MB integrated intel graphics?They are way better than the MacBook dedicated they replaced. But if you can wait until Fall, the 965 IG set will be much better.

SuperSnake2012
Jul 4, 2006, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know if the 1GB RAM is 1 DIMM or 2? If it's 1 I have to get the ultimate machine :D

Nevermind, it's 2 DIMMs. Pointless. :rolleyes:

Eidorian
Jul 4, 2006, 08:43 AM
They are way better than the MacBook dedicated they replaced. But if you can wait until Fall, the 950 IG set will be much better.Hopefully they can use the X3000 integrated chipset with Yonah. Otherwise the MacBook might not see it until it switches to Core 2 Duo (Merom).

Chundles
Jul 4, 2006, 08:49 AM
They are way better than the MacBook dedicated they replaced. But if you can wait until Fall, the 950 IG set will be much better.

You mean the 965, they are already using the 950. The Integrated Graphics in the 965 chipset are the x3000 that everyone's going on about.

As for the "additions" to the MacBook line, all they are are configurations that are popular in the online store brought into the retail outlets so that people can walk in and get the machine they want without having to wait. I don't see it as cynical, yes you can save money upgrading later but the vast majority of people don't upgrade later (you have to remember, Joe Blow doesn't know how to upgrade or even that he can, we're not all avid computer enthusiasts) all the new configs offer is for someone to walk into an Apple store and get a machine they would otherwise have waited for and walk out with it a few minutes later. That's good retail practice, not a cynical exercise on Apple's behalf.

AidenShaw
Jul 4, 2006, 08:55 AM
Intel 950 IG Set Coming in the Fall Will Be Much Better

They are way better than the MacBook dedicated they replaced. But if you can wait until Fall, the 950 IG set will be much better.
The MacBook already has the GMA 950 graphics chipset (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html).

Perhaps you are thinking of the next generation GMA chipset?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2006-04/intc_santarosa_ovv.jpg
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20060417163118.html

The new graphics engine has been called both GMA 965 and GMA X3000, but I don't think that Intel has given it a formal name yet.

And, BTW, what's an IG ? Do you mean GMA ?

Eidorian
Jul 4, 2006, 08:57 AM
Oh and I answered my own question after some work. It seems that the X3000 is bundled with Core 2 Duo chips and Santa Rosa. I think I'll be getting a MacBook Pro before September then. We probably won't see the X3000 until at least mid-2007.

iAlan
Jul 4, 2006, 09:06 AM
<snip> or I can sit in my underwear ordering online.

Not sure if that would be a pretty picture or not...:p

But I think you have the right idea...if something stella is released.

I do think something is coming but I think c;loser to mid-month than this week. It will be announced so WWDC can focus on software - with Apple releasing everything universal and Adobe taking the stage and announcing the same.

Get the machines announced before WWDC, get the inventory into the chain then have software announced to drive demand further...

Eidorian
Jul 4, 2006, 09:09 AM
Not sure if that would be a pretty picture or not...:p

But I think you have the right idea...if something stella is released.
It was an extreme case. I assure I'm much more fully clothed.

gotohamish
Jul 4, 2006, 09:09 AM

They're a business, it's their computer. They can price it how they want, no? It's the same as the U2 iPod scheme—you want it? Pony up a little more.

No one's making you buy it, and if you really really have to have it, save up.

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
And, BTW, what's an IG ? Do you mean GMA ?

IG = Integrated Graphics?

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know if the 1GB RAM is 1 DIMM or 2? If it's 1 I have to get the ultimate machine :D

Nevermind, it's 2 DIMMs. Pointless. :rolleyes:

I believe that it practically needs two DIMMs, since the RAM uses 128bit bus. So it needs to be added in pairs.

Di9it8
Jul 4, 2006, 09:41 AM
What I am waiting for is one in pink!!:rolleyes:

Max on Macs
Jul 4, 2006, 10:01 AM
Why didn't the warranty cover it?
Because there's nothing wrong with it, I just broke it.

Arnaud
Jul 4, 2006, 10:15 AM
What I am waiting for is one in pink!!:rolleyes:

Actually, it's a $4.59 option :p

craigatkinson
Jul 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
Does anyone think they will upgrade the Macbook Pro's this month? I ask because I just ordered my macbook pro through Apple and I would be really upset if I ordered it and then a week later had them update it. That's what happened with my powerbook. I bought a brand new powerbook and then they made the intel transition about a month later. It was very aggravating.

netdog
Jul 4, 2006, 10:37 AM
Does anyone think they will upgrade the Macbook Pro's this month? I ask because I just ordered my macbook pro through Apple and I would be really upset if I ordered it and then a week later had them update it. That's what happened with my powerbook. I bought a brand new powerbook and then they made the intel transition about a month later. It was very aggravating.

I bet that the MBP gets a Merom soon after introduction in August as it is pin-comptible. That may be as soon at the WWDC, a month from now.

SiliconAddict
Jul 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
Why don't they just call it...
MacBook Dyn-o-MITE! (Exclamation point and 70's TV accent, what show was that? Good times?, included.)

The department that names Apple's products must be run by the same people who run their QC department.

Macnoviz
Jul 4, 2006, 11:01 AM
At what time was the Macbook announced on the site?

rdrr
Jul 4, 2006, 11:02 AM
6. Because it's only a national holiday...
7. Not an International one..
8. There is a whole world outside the borders of the USA....

:)

As a New England resident, my view of the world is even smaller... :p

Not much beyond the hated NY Yankees. :D :D :D

AidenShaw
Jul 4, 2006, 11:03 AM
IG = Integrated Graphics?
(Of course, my comment was directed at those who invent new acronyms to describe something for which there's a common or defined acronym....

Intel defines "GMA" for the graphics component in the chipset - people who use "IIG" or "IG" are either ignorant of the accepted name, or failing at an attempt to be clever.)

generik
Jul 4, 2006, 11:04 AM
I bet that the MBP gets a Merom soon after introduction in August as it is pin-comptible. That may be as soon at the WWDC, a month from now.

Grey anodized aluminium.. hmmm... seksy..

Here's to hoping! :rolleyes:

joecool85
Jul 4, 2006, 11:06 AM
Well, it is now after 9am PST. I'd say we aren't getting anything today. Not that its a surprise.

AidenShaw
Jul 4, 2006, 11:07 AM
Because there's nothing wrong with it, I just broke it.
A friend left his 2 year old Dell Latitude laptop on the roof of his car, and drove off.

At the first corner, it slid off onto the street at about 40 km/hr.

He dodged traffic to pick up the pieces and put them in a bag, and sent them into Dell for warranty repair.

His new laptop arrived in 2 days - and it was a newer, faster model.

cbigfoot1987
Jul 4, 2006, 11:20 AM
A friend left his 2 year old Dell Latitude laptop on the roof of his car, and drove off.

At the first corner, it slid off onto the street at about 40 km/hr.

He dodged traffic to pick up the pieces and put them in a bag, and sent them into Dell for warranty repair.

His new laptop arrived in 2 days - and it was a newer, faster model.

yes but he probably paid for the accidental Damage coverage where apple dosent seem to have accidental damage coverage any more!

Peace
Jul 4, 2006, 11:23 AM
This topic now becomes relevent today..

Apple would never release a new product on July 4th.Even if it is Tuesday.It's a very important National holiday in the USA..

As for the person that said the MacPro would ship before WWDC2006 so developers could have the new powerful machine in hand.That makes no sense.Developers have been using XCode on all sorts of Macs.See what we have now softwarewise?

Developers don't need the new MacPro to develope with.It would be nice to have the new machines in order to utilize 10.5 better but dev's wont even get there hands on it till after WWDC..

Intel Xserve either tomorrow or Thursday I can see.

irbdavid
Jul 4, 2006, 11:35 AM
I'm going to get a new mac this/next week. Currently leaning towards a macbook, but a mini is probably more sensible, and is definitely cheaper. I dont suspect macbooks are going to get a proper upgrade any time soon, but the mini is about due one right? Kinda puts me off getting one, even though they're better value....

progx
Jul 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
oh wow! new Apple stuff! pardon me while i do hand…haha i wouldn't break my back for an Apple product.

seriously, the hardware is could not be more bland than World Wrestling Entertainment programming. in fact, the most exciting releases are yet to come…but not from Apple or any PC manufacturer. well, if the AMD/ATI merger goes through, then Intel is toast.

the exciting news i'm referring to is: Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3. not to mention, the rise of Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling into an average 1.1 cable rating! i have found that entertainment is better than the new Macs sinc it can be edgy and, what Apple has abandoned, innovative.

i think the REAL Video iPod will the be the best news of the year. the Mac lines, maybe about pebble size news.

Chundles
Jul 4, 2006, 12:42 PM
oh wow! new Apple stuff! pardon me while i do hand…haha i wouldn't break my back for an Apple product.

seriously, the hardware is could not be more bland than World Wrestling Entertainment programming. in fact, the most exciting releases are yet to come…but not from Apple or any PC manufacturer. well, if the AMD/ATI merger goes through, then Intel is toast.

the exciting news i'm referring to is: Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3. not to mention, the rise of Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling into an average 1.1 cable rating! i have found that entertainment is better than the new Macs sinc it can be edgy and, what Apple has abandoned, innovative.

i think the REAL Video iPod will the be the best news of the year. the Mac lines, maybe about pebble size news.

The donkey did what to you?

Evangelion
Jul 4, 2006, 12:58 PM
Intel defines "GMA" for the graphics component in the chipset - people who use "IIG" or "IG" are either ignorant of the accepted name, or failing at an attempt to be clever.)

GMA is an Intel's name for their product, whereas IG is an acronym of a common phrase. I have seen lots of people use the acronym IG around the net. GMA is an IG, but not all IG's are GMA's ;).

Should we call all video-cards "GeForce" because that's what NVIDIA calls their product?

quigleybc
Jul 4, 2006, 01:01 PM

seriously, the hardware is could not be more bland than World Wrestling Entertainment programming.

Ummmmm......What? Are you seriously comparing Apple to Pro Wrestling? That is a very odd/silly comparison....

And Video Games? Wha.....

Killyp
Jul 4, 2006, 01:54 PM
I would be seriously irritated if apple announced a new design for the MacBook pro. A model above being introduced, I can handle, a different model (to exist alongside the MBP) I can handle, but COMPLETELY replacing and therefore outdating my MBP when I've only had it for a few weeks would REALLY irritate me.

DJMastaWes
Jul 4, 2006, 01:57 PM
Well, it's about 12:00 PM in san fran, and 3:00 my time, should we say that nothing is comeing out today?

If the MBP is getting a new case, would it be at WWDC, or before?

freestyleguy128
Jul 4, 2006, 07:55 PM
Well, it's about 12:00 PM in san fran, and 3:00 my time, should we say that nothing is comeing out today?

If the MBP is getting a new case, would it be at WWDC, or before?
After, the new case will most likely come with the merom 'book.

Multimedia
Jul 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
You mean the 965, they are already using the 950. The Integrated Graphics in the 965 chipset are the x3000 that everyone's going on about.

As for the "additions" to the MacBook line, all they are are configurations that are popular in the online store brought into the retail outlets so that people can walk in and get the machine they want without having to wait. I don't see it as cynical, yes you can save money upgrading later but the vast majority of people don't upgrade later (you have to remember, Joe Blow doesn't know how to upgrade or even that he can, we're not all avid computer enthusiasts) all the new configs offer is for someone to walk into an Apple store and get a machine they would otherwise have waited for and walk out with it a few minutes later. That's good retail practice, not a cynical exercise on Apple's behalf.Thanks for the correction. I know I might have that number wrong. I see what you mean about the prefabricated upgrade being practical for many. I forgot I'm a nerd. :D I stand completely corrected by your gentle words. :)

boncellis
Jul 5, 2006, 12:03 AM
GMA is an Intel's name for their product, whereas IG is an acronym of a common phrase. I have seen lots of people use the acronym IG around the net. GMA is an IG, but not all IG's are GMA's ;).

Should we call all video-cards "GeForce" because that's what NVIDIA calls their product?

I concur. Besides, why the lecture, is that just who AidenShaw is? I remember him once telling someone to pay off his credit card balance in full...

Of course, if he didn't keep saying stuff like that then we wouldn't have a reason to laugh at him behind his back. ;)

MacinDoc
Jul 5, 2006, 12:37 AM
I concur. Besides, why the lecture, is that just who AidenShaw is? I remember him once telling someone to pay off his credit card balance in full...

Of course, if he didn't keep saying stuff like that then we wouldn't have a reason to laugh at him behind his back. ;)
AidenShaw has posted many sensible things on these forums, and a few that may have been slightly less sensible, but that advice to pay off credit cards in full was undoubtedly the most sensible advice he's ever posted on these forums.

Back on topic, several people have posted that Apple would never release a new product on Independence Day, but the rumor was that Apple would release a new product FOLLOWING the Independence Day holiday.

Zoboomafoo
Jul 5, 2006, 07:28 AM
New enclosure for MacBook Pro? I hope it isn't that different, love the aluminium/titanium PB G4/MBP. I already have mine, so shouldn't care, but want Apple to remain looking stylish.

i strongly feel that the aluminum case design is a horrible design.

It is of course very sexy, but when it comes down to it, the case just doesn't suit the function - portability.

I'm on my second aluminum book and in both cases, damage to the case happened almost immediately. In the first case, the only way i could charge the laptop was to set it on its side because the case was damaged around the charger outlet. In the second case - this time with applecare - i've found that they won't fix my case - a case that will one day soon no longer be able to accomodate a CD because the metal is sagging in front of the CD slot - because it isn't covered by the warranty.

When i explain to them that when metal bends outwards, it's not a case of being dented, they explain to me it's me squeezing the case too hard. Almost as if I were.... picking up my laptop.

I've yet to go to them a second time to explain to them that it should not be the case that everyday activities like lifting and holding my laptop should result in principal features being rendered unusable.

But the fact remains, the case is really too fragile for its intended use.

So, get rid of this case design - or at least the case material - so that this portable computer can again become portable.

but that's just my opinion.

DJMastaWes
Jul 5, 2006, 07:55 AM
That sucks.

I think if apple kept the current sign of the case but made it with a stronger material, it owuld be great. I'm not sure if I want to see the MBP redisigned, I'm afraid it might looks bad, becuase the MBP looks amazing right now. I trust apple that they can come up with a nicer idea, I just hope I like it, as I plan on buying a MBP.

emotion
Jul 5, 2006, 07:59 AM
But the fact remains, the case is really too fragile for its intended use.

My 4 year old powerbook 12" (rev a) is still holding up. So I think you word that a little strongly.

However, I think the alu cases are a little too easy to scratch and dent but then again a plastic Dell case faired a lot worse during a similar period of usage.

Zoboomafoo
Jul 5, 2006, 08:27 AM
My 4 year old powerbook 12" (rev a) is still holding up. So I think you word that a little strongly.

However, I think the alu cases are a little too easy to scratch and dent but then again a plastic Dell case faired a lot worse during a similar period of usage.

well, there's cosmetic and functional malformations. the functional ones took a little bit longer to form, but when i bought an original 12" albook, the cosmetic problems (and i mean protrusions, not dents) formed literally within days. (and since i had to replace the first one because the latch broke almost immediately, twice these problems developed.)

now, i bought a 15 inch right before the MBP came out. and it seemed to hold up a little better. I think generally I chalked my original experience with the 12" as this-is-what-you-get-for-buying-a-first-generation-laptop.

But it's been less than a year and now the CD-frame is sagging and on the verge of blocking the CD drive.

I dunno. It didn't occur to me at the time, but it just seems so odd when i asked about case replacement that the major problems coming from squeezing the laptop when i pick it up are my fault. I mean, I'm not sitting on it.

Maybe apple should create an instruction manual on how to hold, pick up and transport a laptop, as I don't do it right apparently.

PaulinMaryland
Jul 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
There have been many such protests in the discussion thread titled Macbook Released:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=201177

PaulinMaryland
Jul 5, 2006, 09:45 AM
Also, yes, you'll be sleeping a long time considering I haven't even seen a notebook SATA drive larger than 120GB yet.

The 160GB Momentus 5400.3, a SATA drive from Seagate, will be out this month.

A 200GB SATA drive from Fujitsu will be out as early as August.

Each will fit in a MacBook.

For continuing news on these and other drives, see this thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=202117

MacinDoc
Jul 6, 2006, 10:46 AM
See? What did I say? New iMac (education model) AFTER Independence Day, just as predicted by AppleInsider.

playaj82
Jul 6, 2006, 02:00 PM
See? What did I say? New iMac (education model) AFTER Independence Day, just as predicted by AppleInsider.

I'm not sure if this is a new model

AnotherMortal
Jul 9, 2006, 06:26 PM
As an owner of a black MacBook Pro with 512MB RAM, I am glad to see Apple offering 1GB standard. Yeah its cheaper from Crucial, but 512 isn't enough if you have any Rosetta apps.