PDA

View Full Version : which G5 to buy? and When?

doneWITHpcs
Jul 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
I just read somewhere here that I should wait to pick up a new G5 (my first apple since the late 80's) I would like some opinions if I should buy now or wait. I don't have to have it now (i just have to reboot windoze when it crashes). I will be doing a lot of audio/video editing. Just personal stuff that I want to put to dvd. Whats the outlook for the new configurations, and when do we see those coming out? I appreciate the feedback.

Mike

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 4, 2006, 09:37 AM
Apple has almost abandon the G5, why would you want something thats going to be so restrictive? G5 is slow compared to any of the Intel stuff. Forget G5 and move into the future. Plus witha Intel you will have access to everything! not just those old PPC apps.:D

GimmeSlack12
Jul 4, 2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah don't bother with a G5 Mac. I say wait until August and see what the Power Mac Intel has to offer.

iGary
Jul 4, 2006, 09:44 AM
Here's a bit more useful advice:

1. Do you have any Adobe apps like Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign to run? Those programs are not universal on Intel yet, and probably will not be for another 8 months. The programs run well on the G5, and not so well (slower under an emulation software called Rosetta) on the Intel chip. Macromedia apps are also not universal yet - or MS Office, but it seems to run OK on Rosetta.

2. New Power Macs are due to be released in August, so if the above is not of concern to you, then yes, perhaps waiting might be good, but consider that with the current G5 you are getting a last revision machine that's basically been beta tested by a lot of people and is the result of fixing all the problems with the first ones. With an Intel, you will be a guinea pig with a first revision machine, and if the MacBooks and MBP's are any indication, I wouldn't touch a Rev. A PM. I've worked on every revision of PM since the G5 - this revision is the best yet.

So, if you do not have a ton of work to do with Adobe and Macromedia, maybe wait - but risk dealing with a revision A machine. Otherwise a G5 might be a good match for you despite the tripe that DHM likes to spread about it. ;)

doneWITHpcs
Jul 4, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah don't bother with a G5 Mac. I say wait until August and see what the Power Mac Intel has to offer.

Is there anywhere to peek at this?

I am glad I came here to ask a question, I never heard of the Power Mac Intel. I guess I assumed the G5 had the new intel dual core. Any sites to research it?

Thanks again for the feedback!

dmw007
Jul 4, 2006, 09:53 AM
iGary brings up some good points that you should consider doneWITHpcs. :)

Personally, I would wait to purchase a Mac Pro, but for your needs a Power Mac G5 would do quite well. They are still very fast machines (especially the Quad) that will last you a long time to come. :)

yellow
Jul 4, 2006, 09:58 AM

I am glad I came here to ask a question, I never heard of the Power Mac Intel. I guess I assumed the G5 had the new intel dual core. Any sites to research it?

Thanks again for the feedback!

The G5 is a PPC chip, the MacTels have an Intel chip.. quite different.

While there are some good points being made, consider this:

There is compelling evidence that the current entry level laptops and pro laptops are nearly OUT-PERFORMING dual-core G5s. Which means the (pro) Desktop model of the MacTel (when it finally comes out) will be very fast indeed and will finally toll the death knell of the G5s.

I'm not sure that you should spend the extreme price tag for the G5, and they ARE expensive, particularly KNOWING that they are already outdated technology that is hurtling towards it's end-of-life.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, wait until the new Desktops are available.

thegreatluke
Jul 4, 2006, 10:31 AM
Apple likes to keep ALL their products under wraps until the day they come out.

Usually it's because of the element of surprise and so Microsoft doesn't have a "new, unique, original" feature in Windows a few weeks after Apple talks.

Though you can look here in the MR forums, where, though everything is speculation, we can provide the best guesses we can make. :)
Also, you can watch the rumors on the main page.

brokeemerican
Jul 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
is the macbookpro the 12inch anygood the one that is 1099

yellow
Jul 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
is the macbookpro the 12inch anygood the one that is 1099

There is no 12" MacBook Pro. There is only 15"and 17".

I'm guessing you mean the MacBook (NOT Pro), which is 13".

As to whether it's "anygood".. that would depend on what you want to do with it.

nospleen
Jul 4, 2006, 12:00 PM
iGary brings up some good points that you should consider doneWITHpcs. :)

Personally, I would wait to purchase a Mac Pro, but for your needs a Power Mac G5 would do quite well. They are still very fast machines (especially the Quad) that will last you a long time to come. :)

How does your MBP stack up against your Powermac?

Chrispy
Jul 4, 2006, 12:09 PM
I have a PowerMac G5 that I just purchased used as I need it for native adobe support. It is a great machine and will still last for years regardless of what anyone tells you. Apple is not goign to simply abandon all PPC users overnight.

brokeemerican
Jul 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
There is no 12" MacBook Pro. There is only 15"and 17".

I'm guessing you mean the MacBook (NOT Pro), which is 13".

As to whether it's "anygood".. that would depend on what you want to do with it.
yeah you are right sorry i am new to the mac world i just am trying to upgrade from my g3 that is a 12 inch and i weant to keep getting the small mac
all i do with it is download music watch movies and edit photos that it

doneWITHpcs
Jul 4, 2006, 01:00 PM
I will be using Adobe premiere, or so I have with windoze. I just don't want to buy too little of a computer. I don't want to wait forever for the videos to compile, so thats why I assumed the G5 was the machine to get. My friend just got a 20" imac, and he has been trying to get me away from the dark side. Sounds like I should wait until August, then I can look at both machines and decide.

dmw007
Jul 4, 2006, 01:08 PM
How does your MBP stack up against your Powermac?

To be honest, it is hard to tell the difference between the two. For most applications, the two computers seem to run neck and neck. Somethings feel snappier on the MacBook Pro and some things feel snappier on the Power Mac.

I think that my Power Mac G5 is the faster out of the two, but it does have a faster HDD and more RAM. :)

Obsidian6
Jul 4, 2006, 01:09 PM
While I agree with everyone in the fact that the new Intel Powermac will be leaps and bounds ahead of the current crop.

I could not afford to wait for that "some day" I bought a G5. Now i didnt get the Dual-core, which Sometimes i feel i should have, but regardless. I picked up a dual processor 2.7GHz G5. and crammed 6 extra gigs of ram in it. and i assure you, its a screamer. It does all my photoshop as fast i would ever need it. Thats why im happy with my purchase. i dont know how much faster i NEED this computer to be just yet. I am perfectly ok with saving some money and getting a great computer NOW.

figure this -

I got the G5 refurb from apple ( 2x QC )
the 23" ACD new ( w. a discount )
and 6 extra gigs of RAM from OWC all for just a touch over $3k

i dunno about you. but thats a helluva deal to me.

smwatson
Jul 4, 2006, 01:34 PM
AGoglian that is a beast of a machine. Congratulations on sticking with the might of the G5, now lets hope PPC software isnt discarded by developers :D

dmw007
Jul 4, 2006, 04:43 PM
i dunno about you. but thats a helluva deal to me.

I agree, you got a very nice system for a very good price AGoglanian. :)

Congratulations on sticking with the might of the G5, now lets hope PPC software isnt discarded by developers

I would not count on PowerPC software being discarded for quite some time to come. :)