PDA

View Full Version : Future iMac concept

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
"The iMac features a 30" utra-thin LCD screen, which is totally transparent when
the iMac is not in use. The screen can also be set to various levels of
translucency, and can fade during sleep modes etc. The keyboard is also totally
tramsparent, low profile and a curved ergonomic design, with light sensitive
illuminated keys. Everything is of course, wireless.". Read more about the future
iMac here (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1248178&member).

http://static.flickr.com/76/181592283_91451113a4_b.jpg

Edit: It seems that people think that I am the one who designed it so I guess it
is important to mention who designed the thing. The designer is Kromekat (http://www.kromekat.com/)
and his orignal post can be found in the renderosity art gallery here (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1248178&member).

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 4, 2006, 10:15 AM
Nice, iam gald you didnt let Apple make that mouse:D

Kardashian
Jul 4, 2006, 10:18 AM
Is it wrong to want to sell everything I own for one of these?

Technology like that in about 10 years... sheesh! Blows your mind away.. after I finish Uni, and start 'growing up' - setups like that could be the norm... :D

gallagb
Jul 4, 2006, 10:21 AM
that is just plain hot.

just stunning

i like the incorporation of various 'apple look alike' angles/parts...

how does the CD load?
is it like the B&O Cd players? acctually opens from in the screen?
or is it top loading?

i assume that is a center speaker in the middle of the screen?
and the bottom part is the on/off button?

where are the external ports? usb...etc
and what about the power cable? where does that come from?

(i also like how you have your name plastered all over it so no one will think it is 'real')

Well done!

Benjamindaines
Jul 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
Wow that looks amazing, I would buy one so fast.

kretzy
Jul 4, 2006, 10:25 AM
Me likes! It looks great and I really love the look of the keyboard and stand.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
Reminds me of the bank vault Powermac design from a few yrs ago, really a cool cool design in my view. Wish I had a old picture of it. Rdowns might still have it. Nice Job Compilem'all

Chundles
Jul 4, 2006, 10:33 AM
One word:

Phwoar!!!

That is seriously one of the coolest mock-ups I've ever seen. Simply magnificent.

michaeldmartin
Jul 4, 2006, 10:59 AM
While you couldn't get a LCD screen like that (because in order for a LCD to be clear, it couldn't have a backlight), You could have a OLCD screen like that.

celebrian23
Jul 4, 2006, 11:02 AM
I guess i'm the only one who does't really like it :o

Chundles
Jul 4, 2006, 11:04 AM

Yeah, so far.

michaeldmartin
Jul 4, 2006, 11:12 AM
Here's a cooler keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/
:)

Chundles
Jul 4, 2006, 11:18 AM
Here's a cooler keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/
:)

I've tried one, they're horrible. There's no feedback because you're tapping on a flat surface so you don't know exactly where you're tapping.

The best thing would be to integrate the OP's keyboard design with the ideas from that OLED keyboard that had screens on each individual key - they would change with each program or function. Very cool.

cleanup
Jul 4, 2006, 11:18 AM
While you couldn't get a LCD screen like that (because in order for a LCD to be clear, it couldn't have a backlight), You could have a OLCD screen like that.

I think you mean OLED. :)

Nice design. Did you actually design it or was it that kromekat person?

i0Nic
Jul 4, 2006, 11:19 AM
omg hot!

MacRy
Jul 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
I'd give my left nut for one of those!

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2006, 11:38 AM
I think you mean OLED. :)

Nice design. Did you actually design it or was it that kromekat person?

No, I didn't. It is the kromekat guy. If you click on the link in the post, it will
take you to the actual thread where I found it. It is an awesome design :cool:
although I don't like the mouse.

iBrow
Jul 4, 2006, 11:55 AM
Thats amazing! I'd buy one in a heart beat, If it was real. :(

Mal
Jul 4, 2006, 12:02 PM
I like the iMac itself, but the keyboard and mouse are both ugly.

that is just plain hot.

just stunning

how does the CD load?
or is it top loading?

The CD would probably need to be a top loading with that design, but I'm not sure that was thought through well. I can see in a few years not needing a CD/DVD drive at all. I think DVD's are going to be relegated to movies on the TV exclusively, with software shipping on flash drives or completely downloadable.

Looks like a center speaker in the middle, combined with the processor/fan housing, though it's a little small. Who knows, by the time something along these lines comes out, maybe that'll be possible.

The external ports are visible in the back view, lined up along the bottom portion of the screen. I think it's a horrible choice, they should be in the bottom of the base where the cords can be easily hidden.

I think the biggest problem is that there'd be too much you could see through the screen that could be distracting (spinning cd, cables, background stuff). While you might get used to it, it would be better to be able to make the screen 100% opaque during normal use instead of the 85% or so that's shown here. Maybe that was the intention, though.

jW

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think the biggest problem is that there'd be too much you could see through the screen that could be distracting (spinning cd, cables, background stuff). While you might get used to it, it would be better to be able to make the screen 100% opaque during normal use instead of the 85% or so that's shown here. Maybe that was the intention, though.
jW

Dude, did you actually take a look at the pics or read the text :D. The
screen is opaque when in use (duh!!), see top left pic. I agree with you
though about the mouse and the keyboard.

Benjamindaines
Jul 4, 2006, 12:12 PM
I like the iMac itself, but the keyboard and mouse are both ugly.
The keyboard is fine but the mouse is ugly

2nyRiggz
Jul 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
Now thats hot...

Bless

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2006, 12:20 PM
I guess delivering those iMacs would be a nightmare :D. Just imagine all
those people opening their packages to find a pile of broken glass inside :eek:

cleanup
Jul 4, 2006, 12:27 PM
I guess delivering those iMacs would be a nightmare :D. Just imagine all
those people opening their packages to find a pile of broken glass inside :eek:

i think they can embed oled field effect transistors into things other than glass like plastic and fiberglass.

munkees
Jul 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
buy far the coolest computer ever, do you have a link to a bigger version for a desktop?

w_parietti22
Jul 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
that is just plain hot.

just stunning

how does the CD load?
or is it top loading?

(i also like how you have your name plastered all over it so no one will think it is 'real')

Well done!

The link has a picture of the back. The OP must've cut it off.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_125/file_1248178.jpg

MacGabePro
Jul 4, 2006, 12:52 PM
is our technology THAT advanced? but anyways, looks sweet!

w_parietti22
Jul 4, 2006, 12:57 PM
is our technology THAT advanced? but anyways, looks sweet!

The screen, maybe possible. Speakers, yes. The size of the computer is proabably to small for current cooling technology though.

Fleetwood Mac
Jul 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
The screen, maybe possible. Speakers, yes. The size of the computer is proabably to small for current cooling technology though.
No matter, if The Day After Tomorow comes true, we shall be plunged into a huge super-cell of freezing death.

Cooling probably won't be a problem though. ;)

mkrishnan
Jul 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
To the OP: Are you the one who designed this? It's gorgeous. Nice work, if so! :)

The only things I'd say are that the way the body mates to the screen housing could be smoother. And I wonder if discs in that format will still be in use by the time computers look like this! :D

Also within reality, two major feasibility issues:

1) A transparent LCD screen will always have serious brightness issues in comparison to a non-transparent one.

2) It will also be near impossible to get it to be uniformly bright in the place where there's a white backing and the rest of the display.

Unless it has an amazingly opaque white polarizing LCD layer on the back (so that when that rear layer is charged, it acts like the white background you have now for the backlight)...

But it's a great concept design. And clearly a tremendous amount of thought was put into it. :)

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2006, 01:48 PM
To the OP: Are you the one who designed this? It's gorgeous. Nice work, if so! :)

No, I am not the one who designed it :o. Anyways, The designer is
Kromekat (http://www.kromekat.com/) and his orignal post can be found in the renderosity
art gallery here (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1248178&member).

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2006, 01:52 PM
The link has a picture of the back. The OP must've cut it off.

I didn't cut anything off :), you probably forgot to resize your browser
window or scroll to the right to see the rest of the image.

mkrishnan
Jul 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
No, I am not the one who designed it :o. Anyways, The designer is
Kromekat (http://www.kromekat.com/) and his orignal post can be found in the renderosity
art gallery here (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1248178&member).

Thanks -- I saw, but I wasn't sure if you were kromekat. Hopefully she/he knows about the kromekat fanclub being developed here. ;)

dornoforpyros
Jul 4, 2006, 01:59 PM
wow, a mac concept that's actually inspired and original. Kudos. I'd buy one...unless of course the g5 powerbook (it's bound to be out by then!) can be folded up to the size of an iPod :p

RedBull17
Jul 4, 2006, 09:05 PM
WOW - amazing work. Not only the concept, but also the work the designer put into it diserves a WOW! ;)

encro
Jul 5, 2006, 12:33 AM

Not the only one :)

I don't like it much either. I like the idea of a transparent screen but thats about it.

iShane
Jul 5, 2006, 12:43 AM
I think it looks very nice. I would buy one.

MacFan25863
Jul 5, 2006, 01:47 AM
Wouldn't it be just awesome if Apple figured out a way to do all that technology today and released it at WWDC 2006?

One can wish, right?

mjstew33
Jul 5, 2006, 01:49 AM
I think it looks very nice. I would buy one.
Ditto that!

I wonder how much it would cost... $4,500? :eek:

Josh396
Jul 5, 2006, 02:15 AM
I don't care what the Mouse and Keyboard look like if I can get a computer like that (although I kinda like the Keyboard, with some minor changes).

w_parietti22
Jul 5, 2006, 03:20 AM
Ditto that!

I wonder how much it would cost... $4,500? :eek:

probably around there nowdays. but in the future... :)

bigandy
Jul 5, 2006, 04:09 AM
maybe with the Optimus keyboard (http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/) and a nice BT mighty mouse, then i'd consider it. :rolleyes:

gallagb
Jul 5, 2006, 04:19 AM
I didn't cut anything off :), you probably forgot to resize your browser
window or scroll to the right to see the rest of the image.

even worse-
i was blown away w/ the images
so much that i didn't take time to look closely

on 2nd glance- i now see the ports- on the back of the machine itself

not sure if i like the format of them all up and down linear like that-
but - that's just me- else the machine is awesome looking

side note-
sent the image to a friend of mine who doesn't use mac's
and told her this is one of the reasons i think they are so beautiful-
she agreed and said that she might become a switcher
(i had told her this was a fake image)

aswitcher
Jul 5, 2006, 04:32 AM
It looks amazing but I think it would be a bit of an eye strain and the invisbility really does nothing for it for me.

Josias
Jul 5, 2006, 12:46 PM
Dang that's sweet. The speakers are possible, so is the mouse and keyboard, plus size of the computer (think of the MacMini, it's around same size). The only problem is the screen, no backlight, no picture:( . Well, it's pretty sweet, excpet the KB and Mouse, I would love a wireless apple keyboard, and a BT Mighty Mouse for that. I don't like the speakers though, they should be integrated in some smart Apple way:D

Verto
Jul 5, 2006, 12:56 PM
I shudder to think of how many replies were typed one-handed. :p

iShane
Jul 5, 2006, 12:56 PM
Dang that's sweet. The speakers are possible, so is the mouse and keyboard, plus size of the computer (think of the MacMini, it's around same size). The only problem is the screen, no backlight, no picture:( . Well, it's pretty sweet, excpet the KB and Mouse, I would love a wireless apple keyboard, and a BT Mighty Mouse for that. I don't like the speakers though, they should be integrated in some smart Apple way:D
Oh yea. And what about the iSight Camera. Where did that go?

Josias
Jul 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
Oh yea. And what about the iSight Camera. Where did that go?

True!:eek: It's probably that integrated into the screen iSight rumors that have been going around...:D

kromekat
Jul 5, 2006, 06:10 PM
Hey Folks!

Just had a message that this thread existed! - very cool - many thanks for the appreciation, especially from some of the 'hardcore' mac lovers! :)

To clarify on some of the details:

The intention was that the CD/DVD would be loaded from a slot on the top,

The metal panel on the base of the body (with the blue light) was intened to be a sensor switch which you'd pass your hand over to wake/sleep/shutdown depending on the movement/direction/duration.

Points raised about the rear ports accepted also! - not the best or most elegant choice I admit.

Not overly fond of the mouse or speakers myself, they were the last things to be added closer to deadline...

As it's been pointed out on Rendersosity, the keyboard should in fact be curved the other way for true ergonomic use, but hey, if I design another Mac, I'll take that into account!.. ;)

Thanks again!

Adam

iJawn108
Jul 5, 2006, 09:21 PM
Na it will be multi touch.

iJawn108
Jul 5, 2006, 09:28 PM

The only things I'd say are that the way the body mates to the screen housing could be smoother. And I wonder if discs in that format will still be in use by the time computers look like this! :D

Also within reality, two major feasibility issues:

1) A transparent LCD screen will always have serious brightness issues in comparison to a non-transparent one.

2) It will also be near impossible to get it to be uniformly bright in the place where there's a white backing and the rest of the display.

Unless it has an amazingly opaque white polarizing LCD layer on the back (so that when that rear layer is charged, it acts like the white background you have now for the backlight)...

But it's a great concept design. And clearly a tremendous amount of thought was put into it. :)You're the coolest Mohan.:p

sam10685
Jul 5, 2006, 09:49 PM
There's no feedback because you're tapping on a flat surface so you don't know exactly where you're tapping.

dude... u don't know what ur tapping anyway... all the keys feel exactly the same. which is why i'm 20 years old only and think it's ******* ridiculous that people says it's "so easy to type without looking." drives me nuts. i know where all the keys are. if u gave me a peice of paper and a pen, i could write down where all the keys are just by memory. i still need to look to be acurate though.

slooksterPSV
Jul 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
Dang, if thats the future iMac, why such an old OS? ;)

Electro Funk
Jul 5, 2006, 10:25 PM
me likey.... would buy one in a second!

zephead
Jul 5, 2006, 11:07 PM
Wireless. :D

wwooden
Jul 5, 2006, 11:37 PM
By the time a computer like this was possible, it probably wouldn't need a CD/DVD drive or USB ports. Or, if you needed USB ports, maybe there could be a box you put underneath the desk somewhere, and it wirelessly connected to the computer.

Two things: I would love to see something like that mounted on a wall and have a TV tuner built-in (into the external box I talked about of course). That would truly look amazing and could display pictures when not in use to look like a painting, etc.

Josias
Jul 6, 2006, 01:50 AM
I really like your conecpt kromekat. True, keyboard and mouse aren't as sweet as the computer, but I like the idea of the wireless powercord.:D
BTW, I still think you will need USB ports in the future. Though you have wireless internet, every computer still comes with an ethernet port.:D

slooksterPSV
Jul 6, 2006, 08:38 AM
I really like your conecpt kromekat. True, keyboard and mouse aren't as sweet as the computer, but I like the idea of the wireless powercord.:D
BTW, I still think you will need USB ports in the future. Though you have wireless internet, every computer still comes with an ethernet port.:D
Wireless is getting faster, what's 802.11n how fast is that now? 500 Mbits/s - 200 Average. So if we're up to that, there's no telling how fast, how stable, and how secure wireless networks will be.

sunfast
Jul 12, 2006, 09:47 AM
That looks absolutely stunning. I would love to be able to see the kit we will all be using in the future, today.

sushi
Jul 12, 2006, 09:50 AM
Count me as well.

Platform
Jul 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
WOW :eek:

WOW :D

NorvalJones
Jul 12, 2006, 12:43 PM
It isn't an LCD display. It is an OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display. OLED displays are self emitting so they don't need a back light, or polarizer.

See Universal Display's page at http://www.universaldisplay.com/

mark!
Jul 12, 2006, 01:16 PM
Count me as well.

moi trois.

j26
Jul 12, 2006, 02:15 PM
Beautiful, but how will Photoshop run under Rosetta on it?

;)

batman123
Jul 12, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'd give my left nut for one of those!

hot as it is, i wouldnt EVER go that far...might sell my gran though :rolleyes:

i love those speakers! and if only it was touch screen aswell....coooooool! :cool: