PDA

View Full Version : Classic Apple logo on a MacBook Pro.... oh yeah!

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah I finally got bored enough to switch over the boring white Apple logo back to its roots! Check out the pix :) This was an all around fun project, it took 2 people to complete. Between the both of us we got it done in no time at all.

http://www.fragtek.com/pix/classicapplembp1.jpg
http://www.fragtek.com/pix/classicapplembp2.jpg

Viva la classic Apple! :cool:

Fleetwood Mac
Jul 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
Neato.. You should post a how-to so we can all classicize our notebooks.

(By we, I mean everyone but myself. :rolleyes: )

PlaceofDis
Jul 4, 2006, 01:20 PM
not bad, i would imagine this mod would look the best on a Black MacBook though for some reason.

HckySo
Jul 4, 2006, 01:21 PM
I know a guy who did that to his iBook. He offered me the sticker to put on the inside but I think I'd rather have it white for now.

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 01:29 PM
Neato.. You should post a how-to so we can all classicize our notebooks.

(By we, I mean everyone but myself. :rolleyes: )
It's quite easy really... Just detach your screen from from the main housing, take out the 2 screws in the lower corners of the display housing then take a razor and pop the clips in of the corner then carefully seperate all of the clips around the bottom and sides of the display. Once the clips have been released lift the bottom part of the screen up and the top will just come right out :) Place your nicely worked icolours.ca color printout over the original frosted white paper and reassemble.

You can obvously take out the original frosted white plastic to make your new logo more vibrant but if you have to take it out again due to warranty repair work then ur kinda up ***** creek without a paddle. Thus the reason I decided to leave my white frosting in :)

Tanglewood
Jul 4, 2006, 01:46 PM
I think it looks cool with the frost on it personally

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 03:06 PM
I think it looks cool with the frost on it personally
Yeah I like it too, it's a bit less "in your face" than if the frost weren't there.

@everyone else: Thanks, I love it!

Josias
Jul 4, 2006, 03:08 PM
Sweet, it looks so cool in the second pic. You are never gonna make the guys at the Apple Store believe you recieved it like that, so goodbye warranty.;)

mkrishnan
Jul 4, 2006, 03:08 PM
not bad, i would imagine this mod would look the best on a Black MacBook though for some reason.

When I saw this thread, I was wondering if exactly that has been done and posted yet.... :o

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 03:09 PM
Sweet, it looks so cool in the second pic. You are never gonna make the guys at the Apple Store believe you recieved it like that, so goodbye warranty.;)

You can obvously take out the original frosted white plastic to make your new logo more vibrant but if you have to take it out again due to warranty repair work then ur kinda up ***** creek without a paddle. Thus the reason I decided to leave my white frosting in

:p ;)

DJMastaWes
Jul 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
Wow, that looks amazing.

yankeefan24
Jul 4, 2006, 04:01 PM
One question, what does this do to the warrantee? :D :confused:

yg17
Jul 4, 2006, 04:09 PM

technicolor
Jul 4, 2006, 04:10 PM
I like this!

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 04:37 PM
Actually nothing if you're careful :) As long as you don't take out or modify any of the original parts you're fine. Apple will never find out that you've taken it apart. Just make sure to take out your new Apple color scheme before taking it in and you're all good! Same goes for taking the whole computer apart which I've done numerous times. As long as it all looks untouch then you're golden.

w_parietti22
Jul 4, 2006, 04:43 PM
I kinda like it, but I kinda dont. haha :)

lexus
Jul 4, 2006, 04:46 PM
You should do it and charge people.

iShane
Jul 4, 2006, 06:26 PM
Looks awesome!

I wish I was that creative.

celebrian23
Jul 4, 2006, 06:33 PM
I like the look--on someone else's computer. I think it would look great on the macbook, but the mbp is the "pro" version, and I don't think it sends the right message.:p

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 06:35 PM
You should do it and charge people.
Nah, that would be taking on too much responsibility on my part. I personally don't want to be responsible for accidentally breaking someone's $3000 computer and be held liable. I guess I could do it if I had a signed waver stating that I wasn't liable but then no one would want me to perform the mod. Whatever though it's all good. I got my lappy done and that's all that matters to me :)

@skip: Thanks mate!

MacGabePro
Jul 4, 2006, 06:42 PM
i want that forreal

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 07:29 PM
I like the look--on someone else's computer. I think it would look great on the macbook, but the mbp is the "pro" version, and I don't think it sends the right message.:p
What do you mean by "the right message." I don't think the color of the logo has anything to do with what level of hardware you're using. But that's just me I suppose...

Macmaniac
Jul 4, 2006, 07:51 PM
I need to trademark that warranty toilet, its too good!

celebrian23
Jul 4, 2006, 08:17 PM
What do you mean by "the right message." I don't think the color of the logo has anything to do with what level of hardware you're using. But that's just me I suppose...

I meant if being used in a formal setting, neutral colors are best.

FragTek
Jul 4, 2006, 08:27 PM
I meant if being used in a formal setting, neutral colors are best.
I suppose its all personal preference :)

supremedesigner
Jul 6, 2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah I finally got bored enough to switch over the boring white Apple logo back to its roots! Check out the pix :) This was an all around fun project, it took 2 people to complete. Between the both of us we got it done in no time at all.

http://www.fragtek.com/pix/classicapplembp1.jpg
http://www.fragtek.com/pix/classicapplembp2.jpg

Viva la classic Apple! :cool:

OMG! NOOOOOO! Please not the "gay" thing!!

EDIT: But cool job, though.

carlos700
Jul 6, 2006, 12:05 PM

"gay thing"??:confused: The original apple was rainbow colored. Look closely on PowerBook G3s and Beige Power Macs.

MattG
Jul 6, 2006, 12:17 PM
That looks great!

And it would look bad-assed on a black MacBook.

Josias
Jul 6, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah. It would look teh cool on a white MB though:D
Don't you risk damging the scren when taking it apart?

2nyRiggz
Jul 6, 2006, 01:10 PM
Its nice....its cool. Would look better on a black macbook though but good one.

Bless

FragTek
Jul 6, 2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the comments mates!

Oh and its not gay! :p

dornoforpyros
Jul 6, 2006, 03:08 PM
looks cool and all, and I've seen it done on powerbooks/iBooks before, but as others have said, I wouldn't wanna be voiding the warranty, especially considering the issues with the MBP's that ppl have been having.

FoxyKaye
Jul 6, 2006, 03:21 PM
Looks really pretty - I've seen a lot of Web sites offering information on how to make this mod on various iBooks/PBs/MBs/MBPs. Looks like all you really need is a hex screw and the right color gel - the "Apple" colors in a gel can also be picked up on line too.

But, I'd be way to scared to do this on a new laptop - kudos to you for making it happen.

FragTek
Jul 6, 2006, 05:13 PM
looks cool and all, and I've seen it done on powerbooks/iBooks before, but as others have said, I wouldn't wanna be voiding the warranty, especially considering the issues with the MBP's that ppl have been having.

Like I've stated 10 times in this thread already, no warranty has been voided. If I need to return it for any reason I just have to take the color-sheet back out before taking it in. There's no way for Apple to tell that I've ever opened it, therefor no warranty has been voided.

Looks really pretty - I've seen a lot of Web sites offering information on how to make this mod on various iBooks/PBs/MBs/MBPs. Looks like all you really need is a hex screw and the right color gel - the "Apple" colors in a gel can also be picked up on line too.

But, I'd be way to scared to do this on a new laptop - kudos to you for making it happen.

I just used a printed plastic sheet purchased from www.icolours.ca and it worked our perfect! The inserts even have double sided tape already placed in all 4 corner, super easy install. Big props to them for a great product at a GREAT price.

Melkor
Jul 6, 2006, 05:58 PM
Really nice job.

I wonder what other designs would look good...

FragTek
Jul 6, 2006, 06:03 PM
Really nice job.

I wonder what other designs would look good...
I held up the Tiger printed one and it looked cool, but for me the classic Apple colors won hands down :)

lamina
Jul 6, 2006, 06:56 PM
neat-o neat-o yeah neat-o fella!

xPismo
Jul 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
I held up the Tiger printed one and it looked cool, but for me the classic Apple colors won hands down :)

Hey very cool! I wonder if I could use my classis cling stick apple rainbow sticker? (yes, I have 2 of them - no you cant have one :D ) I should do it to my powerbook and see if i can fix the splotches on the screen at the same time.

Nice mod, I like the frosted look!

7on
Jul 18, 2006, 03:12 PM
hmm, I'm pretty good with an xacto... I bet I wouldn't even have to disassemble my MB to change the color...

evoluzione
Jul 18, 2006, 08:34 PM
i'll be getting my black macbook tomorrow, and the rainbow gel from icolours.ca in a couple of days, i'll post some pics of it when it's done, should look ace on against the black.

FragTek
Jul 18, 2006, 09:05 PM
Hey very cool! I wonder if I could use my classis cling stick apple rainbow sticker? (yes, I have 2 of them - no you cant have one :D ) I should do it to my powerbook and see if i can fix the splotches on the screen at the same time.

Nice mod, I like the frosted look!
I bought a 25 pack of those baddies on eBay and have em ALLLLLL over the place :) Every window of my apt, my car, my friends front door window... lol. Plastered :p

I'm sure you could make that work!

@evo: I want pix when it's done! :cool:

iJawn108
Jul 18, 2006, 10:20 PM
I would never do it. But it's very cool. :)

DJMastaWes
Jul 18, 2006, 10:22 PM

I don't think the gay flag has the colors in that order. Infact, no, the colors are NOT in that order.

AppleGuy08
Jul 19, 2006, 12:54 AM
Wow, im using the right size hex wrench, but this last screw is a BIOTCH to get out. Im actually suprised i got 3 out. The hex's im using aernt balled. time to shut the computer off and give it another go!

Mechcozmo
Jul 19, 2006, 01:06 AM
Sorry... but I've seen this done before. Nifty, true, but not oh-wow-cool! kind of new.

Linkety (http://www.applefritter.com/node/2609) plus a how-to.

jamesi
Jul 19, 2006, 01:16 AM
thats just about the coolest subtle mod ive seen in a while. im thinking about doint it to my powerbook.....

AppleGuy08
Jul 19, 2006, 02:38 AM
just did it to my ibook. its a really nice shade of blue. Its so weird that i have a store right next to my house devoted to plastics (called "tap plastics"). I simply went over there and found exactly what i needed. i didnt get that 3rd screw out, so i just gently lifted it up onto that one corner and slipped the plastic in w/ some tape. looks great.

dcv
Jul 19, 2006, 02:54 AM
Not wanting to sound like a Paris Hilton bimbo, but - that's hot :cool:

FragTek
Jul 19, 2006, 08:23 AM
Sorry... but I've seen this done before. Nifty, true, but not oh-wow-cool! kind of new.

Linkety (http://www.applefritter.com/node/2609) plus a how-to.
I wasn't claiming to be the first to do this asshat. Now go jump off a tall building, and please lay down some plastic beforehand, don't make some poor guy have to clean that **** up.

clasicks
Jul 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
nice! needs to be done on a macbook, that would look really great

sunfast
Jul 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
That's awesome FragTek, really a super effort. I second all the opinions that it would look cool on a black MB though.

As for that 12" PB on that link - is it just me or does it look photoshopped, especially the first pic?

Silverbird0000
Mar 25, 2008, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know of a place that sells a transparent sticker that could do the same thing but go on the outside of the computer? I don't want to open up my Macbook Pro that will be arriving next week!

iJesus
Mar 26, 2008, 01:49 AM
I've actually been thinking of doing the same thing to my MBP. The only difference would be that I'm thinking of doing black so it matches by iMac. I really like the look of the black on aluminum.

cbrain
Mar 26, 2008, 02:17 AM
I like it!

Good work!

Rhosfelt
Mar 26, 2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.icolours.ca/images/gallery/026.jpg

There you go

Applepi
Mar 26, 2008, 12:05 PM
That looks AWESOME.

cbrain
Mar 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
http://www.icolours.ca/images/gallery/026.jpg

There you go

It looks great on a BlackBook! :)

Good job!

keysersoze
Mar 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
^Blackbook

Holy ******* that's awesome.

pagansoul
Mar 26, 2008, 01:55 PM
The Blackbook looks very nice. I myself use a cover so if I have a desire to change colors or add decoration I don't actually touch my MacBook.

Rhosfelt
Mar 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
By the way guys that is from the gallery on the site (www.icolours.ca/ in case you missed it) but I figured it was worth posting because a) it is beautiful and b) people keep asking for it.

I don't think I have the guts to do it quite yet, because my macbook is in box at home. I get it this weekend!! :):)

Silverbird0000
Mar 27, 2008, 02:43 PM
The Blackbook looks very nice. I myself use a cover so if I have a desire to change colors or add decoration I don't actually touch my MacBook.

Are you saying a cover for the whole computer? Or a cover for the Apple logo? I am desperately trying to find a way to do this without have to open the computer!

allbrokeup
Mar 30, 2008, 08:10 PM
I did that :D but to my Boot Screen. Ahh, Nostalgia....

P.S. I might change it to the Picaso Mac Logo or the Original Happy Mac Logo.......

If you wanna know how to do it, just look at my 'Post Your Mac OS X Boot Screens' thread.

Cheers!

allbrokeup

NJL6705
May 5, 2010, 06:27 PM
I like it! Where do I get the sticker or whatever you put over the apple logo?

SpookTheHamster
May 5, 2010, 06:44 PM
I like it! Where do I get the sticker or whatever you put over the apple logo?

It's something people did with their G4 iBooks/Powerbooks and early Macbooks and Macbook Pros, but I don't think it's possible with the unibody Macs.

It was done by taking the lid of the display off and sliding a piece of plastic behind the Apple. The backlight of the display is what lit it up.

I modded my 12" Powerbook to have a red Apple.

usm ii
May 15, 2010, 11:55 AM
wa.... so cool , love it:)