PDA

View Full Version : Camino, it's official now.

medea
Mar 4, 2003, 08:20 AM
Chimera, the popular Mac OS X Web browser, has been officially renamed Camino. A posting on the software's new project page reads, "Due to circumstances beyond our control, the project has been renamed Camino." _
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/

blah, what a horrible name.

chewbaccapits
Mar 4, 2003, 10:00 AM
Just when I was getting used to "Chimera", now, comes this $hatty name...Its like when my wife named her dog DIEGO, when it should have been Mr. Pickles....Booo

Switcher2001
Mar 4, 2003, 10:05 AM
Chimera was a good name that fit in with the dragon theme of "Mozilla." A chimera is a mythical "monster represented as vomiting flames, and as having the head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the tail of a dragon." (From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary [1913] - accessed by OmniDictionary.)

Okay, "vomiting flames" is kinda gross; I prefer the expression "breathing fire," but whatever.

On the other hand, a chimera can be "a vain, foolish, or incongruous fancy, or creature of the imagination; as, the chimera of an author." (Ibid.)

Maybe they wanted to avoid a name that could be associated with "vaporware."

In any case, why did they change the name? That's what I want to know.

Also, why Camino? Camino means "road" in Spanish. "Camino real" means "highway." "Information Superhighway" metaphors, anyone?

¡Hasta la vista en el super-camino real!

redAPPLE
Mar 4, 2003, 11:01 AM
it is because the name "chimera" corresponds to a unix browser.

see here (http://www.chimera.org)

the reason for the change, maybe copyright issues.

Jaykay
Mar 4, 2003, 11:57 AM
damn, and i really liked the name chimera.

Kamino, isnt that a planet in Star Wars?

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Mar 4, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
it is because the name "chimera" corresponds to a unix browser.

see here (http://www.chimera.org)

Did you guys see the screenshots of the other Chimera? Damn! That thing is ugly!

redAPPLE
Mar 4, 2003, 02:43 PM
it is not for designers and "graphic-savvy" users like mac users.

it is used to surf and that would be it. it has to be fast and stable.

scmacdaddy
Mar 4, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Jaykay
Kamino, isnt that a planet in Star Wars?

"Lost a planet Mr. Obi-Wan has." My favorite line in episode II. You're right, that missing planet was Kamino.

mymemory
Mar 4, 2003, 07:15 PM
Well, was about time for you gringos to start learning some spanish now!:p

Damn, we have to deal with so many english stuff down here, now the kids are saying "cool" and "bro".

Camino is and camino will stay:D

Jaykay
Mar 4, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by scmacdaddy
"Lost a planet Mr. Obi-Wan has." My favorite line in episode II. You're right, that missing planet was Kamino.

Excellent....

macmax
Mar 5, 2003, 09:54 AM
camino isn't highway.

Autopista means highway, camino is a road, not a real big one, just a road.

Switcher2001
Mar 5, 2003, 11:32 AM
autopista means highway.

Actually, an autopista is not a highway; it is a freeway, an expressway, or a superhighway.

camino isn't highway.

I never said it was. I said, "Camino means 'road' in Spanish. 'Camino real' means 'highway.'"

However, I do thank you for the word, and I will now amend my final thought in my first post to create one of my first rhyming poems in Spanish:

¡Hasta la vista en la autopista! (de información)

(I still don't see why they renamed it Camino!)

RBMaraman
Mar 5, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Switcher2001

(I still don't see why they renamed it Camino!)

The renamed it because they were being sued by the other Chimera Unix browser. They tried to settle but the other Chimera browser wouldn't bargain, so our Chimera was forced to change their name. Hence, they became Camino.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 5, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
The renamed it because they were being sued by the other Chimera Unix browser. They tried to settle but the other Chimera browser wouldn't bargain, so our Chimera was forced to change their name. Hence, they became Camino.

This isn't true at all. There was no lawsuit. AOL/Timewarner/Netscape did this as a preemptive thing. The legal department wanted to curtail in future copyrght problems with the browsers (Phoenix is also affected).

alset
Mar 5, 2003, 08:02 PM
The could call it "The Worst Browser You've Ever Used," and I'd still pick it any day of the week.

Dan

RBMaraman
Mar 5, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
This isn't true at all. There was no lawsuit. AOL/Timewarner/Netscape did this as a preemptive thing. The legal department wanted to curtail in future copyrght problems with the browsers (Phoenix is also affected).

Thanks for the correction AL. So there "potentialy could have possibly" been a lawsuit. Really, it's all the same. One of the few smart moves by AOL/TimeWarner/Netscape.

macmax
Mar 5, 2003, 10:06 PM
hi switcher:

Autopista en donde yo vivo es highway, hehhehhe.
english is my second language.

great rhyming , hahhahahhahha

I want a new powerbook, hehhehe, just felt like writing something.

Jaykay
Mar 6, 2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

So what do these big companies have against mythical creatures?

(Also, who would they have a legal battle? is there another Chimera browser? And if there is why did they call it chimera then?)

cleanflix
Mar 6, 2003, 10:18 AM
Chimera always reminded me of the deadly virus in mission impossible 2. i'd like camino better if it was kamino but lucus might sue over that. in argentina autopista is highway. never used camino real. camino could also mean path or way.

bobindashadows
Mar 6, 2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by cleanflix
Chimera always reminded me of the deadly virus in mission impossible 2. i'd like camino better if it was kamino but lucus might sue over that. in argentina autopista is highway. never used camino real. camino could also mean path or way.

Just as a note, all this spanish stuff is interesting to me cuz i take spanish now... but as for road i've only learned calle - stree., so i immediately though of "I walk", which did not appeal to my sense of speed!

yzedf
Mar 8, 2003, 07:31 PM
camino = way

scem0
Mar 10, 2003, 04:07 PM
I think it should be renamed one of these:

-Fizzle Brizzle (Fast browser in snoop-dogg-anese)
-Bumquita
-Chimaera (alternative spelling for Chimera ;))
-Cerberus (if you want a mythological creature, why not)
-Medusa
-Siren (that is a cool name - mythological creature)
-Nymph