Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
So I am guessing that there will be a new iPod, new iTunes, and the new DL'able music service all announced (and available) together, right? A new service with better software (free update for 'older' iPod and iTunes) and new hardware to use it. That could be a winning combination that keeps Apple ahead of the posers in the hdd based mp3 player crowd.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: NEW iPod soon???

Originally posted by yzedf
So I am guessing that there will be a new iPod, new iTunes, and the new DL'able music service all announced (and available) together, right?
This would be my guess as well. I wonder how much smaller AAC would make my music library. I don't think it would be worth going through my CD colleciton again. Although if the sound quality is all it is supposed to be, I can see doing new CDs that way, and maybe redoing CDs as I have time or more likely as I want to change what is on my iPod.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN

So I am guessing that there will be a new iPod, new iTunes, and the new DL'able music service all announced (and available) together, right? A new service with better software (free update for 'older' iPod and iTunes) and new hardware to use it. That could be a winning combination that keeps Apple ahead of the posers in the hdd based mp3 player crowd.

I think your right about releasing everything together. It would be a very smart move. Here are my predictions:

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003 we will see:
1. Apple Music Service.
2. iTunes 4.
3. New iPod(s).
4. Software Update For Old iPod(s).

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I sure hope

that getting licenses for music signed is not what's delaying the new iPods. At this point, claims of high holiday demand (or just high demand) cannot explain the absence of a 5 gb ipod.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland

all announced (and available) together, right?

Oh what a day that would be.........

Originally posted by Bear
I don't think it would be worth going through my CD colleciton again.

What about if iTunes 4 had a special way of converting all your MP3s and replacing them with the AAC files... (and not just the standard converter)

It would save a lot of space (wouldnt really affect sound quality if they were already recorded).

Anyways.. I wonder will apple just have AAC files on the music sharing thing or will ya get MP3 as well.. i think the copyright thing might be an issue.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Re: I sure hope

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
At this point, claims of high holiday demand (or just high demand) cannot explain the absence of a 5 gb ipod.

Well, the possible conclusion for that would be that Apple assumed the 5 gig wouldn't sell well during the holidays, and was discontinuing them, so they didn't have a bunch in stock. Over the holidays, they sold like hot cakes, so it depleated stocks for them before the updates were planned.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Re: NEW iPod soon???

Originally posted by Jaykay
What about if iTunes 4 had a special way of converting all your MP3s and replacing them with the AAC files... (and not just the standard converter)

It would save a lot of space (wouldnt really affect sound quality if they were already recorded).

Actually anytime you convert something from one compressed format to another, you lower the quality of sound. The same is true with images as well.

So, I do not consider this an option.

And as for the space issue, I don't care about it on the Mac, I have plenty of disk space. On an iPod, it's an issue, which is why I might do things slowly.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
this is getting stupid, why does apple not just release the ****ing ipods, i have been waiting along with other people. With all of the god damn waiting we better get a awesome price drop and something better than that stainless **** thats on the back that scratches so ****ing easily!!!!

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
On Tuesday, April 1, 2003 we will see:
1. Apple Music Service.
2. iTunes 4.
3. New iPod(s).
4. Software Update For Old iPod(s).

After all the time we've waited for an iPod refresh, would you really believe an April Fools Day launch?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by swahilibill
this is getting stupid, why does apple not just release the ****ing ipods, i have been waiting along with other people. With all of the god damn waiting we better get a awesome price drop and something better than that stainless **** thats on the back that scratches so ****ing easily!!!!
I think that it is time for an update too. Some people, including me, have been waiting since before MWSF for the updates. I think that it would be a good idea, though, if Apple released a Music Service, iTunes 4, and iPods on the same day. Hopefully, iPod updates will come soon!

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by chicagdan
After all the time we've waited for an iPod refresh, would you really believe an April Fools Day launch?

I am hoping that iPods will be updated before then, but I guess that I can wait until April 1. Do you not think Apple would not release something on April Fool's Day, because it would be April Fool's Day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.