PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook (2.5 years old) battery issues

alxths
Jul 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
In the first year or two of having my powerbook, the battery life seemed to decline until it would say that I only had about 20 minutes or so off of a full charge. This seemed reasonable enough, but recently I decided to ignore the low power warning and continue using the computer. Low and behold, I got about another hour of battery life (the indicator basically said it was empty).

I thought maybe I just had to calibrate the battery, so I let it drain, and eventually the computer just turned right off (didnt goto sleep). When I charged it again, nothing had changed.. it was still exhibiting the same problems.

So then I tried resetting the PMU, which also did nothing.

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here... I've heard it might be the logic board, but this isnt under waranty, and it wouldnt be practical to fix it if that was the problem.

Here's hoping.

stuuke
Jul 5, 2006, 02:03 PM
I had the same issue with my battery and my logic board did end up going out. I would definitely back everything up while you can. Apple only charges $300 for a logic board repair if you take it into an Apple Store. You might be able to recover some of the value out of it. Good luck.

yellow
Jul 5, 2006, 02:05 PM
Tried a new battery?

alxths
Jul 9, 2006, 12:41 AM
I had the same issue with my battery and my logic board did end up going out. I would definitely back everything up while you can. Apple only charges $300 for a logic board repair if you take it into an Apple Store. You might be able to recover some of the value out of it. Good luck.

:O

The fact that this has been going on for a year or so leads me to think that if this WAS a symptom of the logic board failing, it wouldve happened by now... All I can do is hope, I guess. Closest apple store is 5 hours away (assuming the one in toronto has opened).

I havent had a chacne to try a new battery... don't know anyone with the same model powerbook.

OutThere
Jul 9, 2006, 01:23 AM

Umm. Hah.

Let's not jump straight to replacing the logic board....

I'd say definitely try a new battery before anything. Where you might find one...well, I'm not sure. :p

alxths
Jul 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
I've been having airport problems as well (connection dropping, low reception), actually.. would that, with the battery issues be indicative of a logic board problem?