PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice...

jjohnson87
Jul 5, 2006, 11:54 PM
I am looking to get into the world of software development but with my high school having a non-existant computer department I am having a hard time finding out how to even start. If someone could recomend a book or a website to help me get started off into the world of programming I would greatly appreciate it. I understand it is a huge world that is not easy to just "dive in" but if someone could even point me in the direction of starting out properly that would be amazing....thanks regardless

Soulstorm
Jul 6, 2006, 01:48 AM
I am looking to get into the world of software development but with my high school having a non-existant computer department I am having a hard time finding out how to even start. If someone could recomend a book or a website to help me get started off into the world of programming I would greatly appreciate it. I understand it is a huge world that is not easy to just "dive in" but if someone could even point me in the direction of starting out properly that would be amazing....thanks regardless
The information you seek depends on the kind of programming you want to do.

You should first choose the language you are going to be programming in. If you want to do some serious programming, and to be sure that you are going to use this language for years to come, you should start with C, or even C++. However C++ is difficult for beginners. Other simple languages are Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, Basic, and much more. So if you tell us what language will you use, we will tell you where to look.