PDA

View Full Version : iPod Buttons doing the wrong thing.

maestro55
Jul 6, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hello everyone...

I have had this 4th generation iPod for the last 1 1/2 and it has been fantastic. Today however I have come across a problem. When I press any button on the iPod it changes from "Volume/Fast Forward & Rewind/Rating System". I have done three "soft-resets". I am afriad to do a hard reset becaue I don't want to lose my music, but in fact I could back it up on my dads machine (my harddrive isn't big enough) and do a hard reset if you guys think it will fix the problem.

I am not sure if this has happened to anyone else. I have heard about the buttons not responding, they buttons apear to respond they just do the wrong thing. Any ideas? What could have caused this?

Thanks for any help!

TDM21
Jul 6, 2006, 04:15 PM
I have this exact same problem with my 4G iPod. I think the problem is the Select button (center button) is stuck. Normally they click when you press it, but the all mine does is depress a tiny bit. When ever you go to click any other button, the iPod registers Select instead. I sent my iPod in once for this issue, but it wasn't terribly bad so I got it back with a letter saying it was within acceptable tolerances. Mine has gotten worse since then so I'm thinking about trying to send it back and get it fixed again.

A temporary solution I found is to click the Select button then click the desired button. normally this will let you do what you want.

Test this for me, play a song and hold the select button down for a few seconds. Normally the iPod will add that sond to the On-The-Go Playlist. Since my Select button isn't working correctly this does not happen. I wonder if yours does the same?

maestro55
Jul 6, 2006, 05:30 PM
Err.. you know I never used the on the go playlist feature until the other night. Perhaps the holding down I did to select the songs did indeed get the button stuck, because now that I do notice the button isn't the same. I don't have warrenty on the iPod, but I am curious if perhaps it can be opened (I have seen a tool online that people use to change the battery) and cleaned or something.

I am going to do some research on it and see what I can find. It works if I press the select button first, but seriously if I pay $400 for an iPod should it be defective in two years of use? I could ask the same about many other electronics, and people say that it just happens, that is beside the point, should it be excused?

Test this for me, play a song and hold the select button down for a few seconds. Normally the iPod will add that sond to the On-The-Go Playlist. Since my Select button isn't working correctly this does not happen. I wonder if yours does the same?

Yeah, it just selects the song.

drnkhobo
Jul 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
check next post...i messed up. but trust me, if you have this problem scrolling an extra 3 inches is well worth it.

hello i had the same problem, so i opened up the ipod and saw that the battery is a little swollen and it is pressing, from the inside, the select button. to test if this is the problem open your ipod(check youtube.com for instructions) once the back is free from the faceplate, turn on your ipod and test to see if the select button clicks on stuff when you press it. if it now works with the case off then you will need to replace the battery. it sounds hard but it is surprisingly easy to do(check youtube.com for instructions) you can do a google.com search for your ipod battery and get one that is not ipod brand for around $15.which actually have a longer battery life than ipod brand batteries. i got my new battery that came with disassembly tools and instructions on ebay for under $10. thanks ...