PDA

View Full Version : Mack OS

Bobdude161
Jul 6, 2006, 03:48 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/bobdude161/MackOS.jpg

Originally said "Mack OS 8.6". Was used as my custom startup pic years ago. Changed it to fit with today's standards. Watcha think?

aricher
Jul 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
Cute idea but to me the elements don't quite connect...

The chain says "gangsta"
The glasses & goatee say "beatnik"
The hat says "German Lederhosen stomp dancer"
The font says, well - not sure about what that style says.

yellow
Jul 6, 2006, 04:04 PM
If you had it bitch slapping a Windows icon, that would be better. :)

w_parietti22
Jul 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
It needs a little work... but it could e good.

Shotglass
Jul 6, 2006, 04:09 PM
The hat says "German Lederhosen stomp dancer"

I am offended by that. Do you know how many Lederhosen stomp dancers there are in Germany? Have you ever been here? Have you been to Bavaria or to Germany?

yellow
Jul 6, 2006, 04:10 PM
??

I agree.. that is what that hat reminds me of. Far more than a pimp.

xper
Jul 6, 2006, 04:15 PM
I am offended by that. Do you know how many Lederhosen stomp dancers there are in Germany? Have you ever been here? Have you been to Bavaria or to Germany?
How can you be offended by that? That is like saying that i am offended if someone from japan said that there were alot of mooses in Sweden.
That does not make any sence

yellow
Jul 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
LOL. Herring too, I hear. :)

medea
Jul 6, 2006, 04:22 PM
It's not like he said "all Germans are Lederhosen stomp dancers" or anything remotely offensive. Chill out.

And I agree that the picture has too many conflicting elements. Nice try though.

xper
Jul 6, 2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah that is true ;) But i havent met someone that can cook it so it taste good so i wouldn't cry if it got extinct.
I prefer perch or salmon ;)

(sorry for offtopic)

yellow
Jul 6, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah that is true ;) But i havent met someone that can cook it so it taste good so i wouldn't cry if it got extinct.

LOL. That makes 2 of us!!

aricher
Jul 6, 2006, 04:43 PM

As a student I spent a month in Germany. I've been there 5 times in the past 7 years in fact - sometimes for work, sometimes to visit friends. So yes, I have been to the Bavaria/German, Austria, Praha, etc. region. I didn't mean to offend anyone but I saw plenty of stomp dancing at just about every festival I went to and all the men had lederhosen and feathered "alpine" caps on. Heck, punch in "Lederhosen," on Google image search and see all the stuff that comes up. Then again, don't - too many visual cultural stereotypes there. Chill.

http://static.flickr.com/73/183602800_27456b88ec_o.jpg
"Feathered Cap" courtesy of Google Image Search.

Bobdude161
Jul 6, 2006, 04:51 PM
here's the link for the MOSS (Mac OS Startup Screen). http://www.resexcellence.com/moss/user_moss_05.shtml That's where I found it so many years ago. But don't criticize it too much I think the guy who originally made this was going for the German, beatnik, gangsta, "Lederhosen stomp dancer", pimp. As for the font, I did that. It was just a random font. If you don't like this one, make one yerself and show it to me! :D

MacBacon
Jul 6, 2006, 05:07 PM

If you want a stereotype, how about 'Germans have no sense of humour'...lucky he didn't mention the war!

livingfortoday
Jul 6, 2006, 07:03 PM

Damn, I wish I could find and scan in that photo of me and the guy in lederhosen I met when I was in Bavaria a few years back!

And hey, I'm German, was born there, speak it, etc - and it's clear he's not making a joke at the expense of Germans - I mean, if anything it's a compliment! We're known for our lederhosen!

Felldownthewell
Jul 6, 2006, 07:14 PM
=livingfortoday I mean, if anything it's a compliment! We're known for our lederhosen!

Wow, two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentance...compliment and lederhosen.

Not that there is anything wrong with tight leather shorts. :D

livingfortoday
Jul 6, 2006, 07:27 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with tight leather shorts. :D

Hey, we're just good looking enough to pull it off is all!

2nyRiggz
Jul 6, 2006, 09:15 PM
Looks like a damn hippy to me.

Bless

kretzy
Jul 6, 2006, 09:20 PM
I don't get it. :confused: :o

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 6, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think it looks like Steve Jobs...

...well, maybe gangsta Steve Jobs...;)

Shotglass
Jul 7, 2006, 01:19 AM
Listen People, it's NOT about Germans, it's about the Bavarians :mad: . Lederhosen, stomp dancing, all that muck - Bavarian. Not German, Bavarian. That's all I'm asking for - making the difference. They don't even speak the same language. Well, maybe essentially, but still. If there's any Bavarians here, please don't take offense, if there's any Franconians here, well, you know what I mean.

livingfortoday
Jul 7, 2006, 01:27 AM
I was born in Hamburg - Bavaria might as well be a different country.

steviem
Jul 7, 2006, 03:37 AM
Make the hat purple, lose the goatee and glasses and it will be there...Also it needs MTV's 'Pimp My Ride' font rather than whats there already...

bartelby
Jul 7, 2006, 03:50 AM
If you want a stereotype, how about 'Germans have no sense of humour'...lucky he didn't mention the war!

:D

I now have to wipe coffee of my work monitor, actually sod it. It's a Dull.

medea
Jul 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
I thought Bavarian was a type of creme that is often found in doughnuts? :rolleyes:

Bobdude161
Jul 8, 2006, 01:58 AM
O.K. how about this Mac daddy? Surely this is better...
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/bobdude161/MackOSX.jpg

On the pimp cup it's says "MAC" the A can be seen and the M and C wrap around.

Also, steviem, used the Pimp My Ride font.

The glasses and hat came stright from Don "Magic" Juan the man himself. Decided to go straight to the source when it comes to pimpin.

I like the cane the best. You smack those PC hos pretty hard with that thing.

Dunepilot
Jul 14, 2006, 06:51 AM
O.K. how about this Mac daddy? Surely this is better...

On the pimp cup it's says "MAC" the A can be seen and the M and C wrap around.

Also, steviem, used the Pimp My Ride font.

The glasses and hat came stright from Don "Magic" Juan the man himself. Decided to go straight to the source when it comes to pimpin.

I like the cane the best. You smack those PC hos pretty hard with that thing.

Okay, I laughed at your picture, but I do feel the need to bring up something on a slightly more serious note.

Can anyone explain to me where the idea of a pimp being a cool or glamourous character comes from?

Real pimps are the lowest of the low, yet the word 'pimp' is now used willy-nilly throughout youth culture nowadays, almost as a superlative. You've 'pimped' your car, i.e. you've made it amazing to the point of excess. I've heard people say "I'm the pimp daddy" i.e. I'm amazing.

It just seems really incongruous to me that these people are glamourised. After all, you don't see anyone walking around using paedophile-related slang in a related way, do you?

The last sentence of Bobdude161's post - "You smack those PC hos pretty hard with that thing" just made me think about this. Do we really want to perpetuate some kind of mythos around the concept of a pimp that's any more glamorous than this, i.e. a bloke who exploits women (through violence if necessary) for personal gain?

I'm not usually sanctimonious or PC, by the way, I'm just interested in (and bothered by) the way that MTV etc have turned this incredibly ugly business into a fairly prevalent facet of youth culture.

Platform
Jul 14, 2006, 07:59 AM
Well If you want my opinion, I don't like the bling bling style....think different ;)