PDA

View Full Version : 14" Ibook to 13" Macbook--My Eyes!!

silvertulie
Jul 7, 2006, 04:07 AM
Hey all, just got my 13" macbook in black a few days ago, previously had a 14" ibook.

My eyes are KILLING ME! Anyone else? I realize the screen in this computer is much better than my old one, and only slightly smaller....should this be happening? Will I just get used to it, or is there something I can change to make it better? I tried hitting the F1 button..can't think of the name of it, but when i take it down a few notches, it really doesn't help.

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
J

generik
Jul 7, 2006, 04:08 AM
You should get used to it.

When I got a 20" display from a 15" one, it seemed so glaring at first :p

silvertulie
Jul 7, 2006, 04:10 AM
wow, that was a wicked fast reply:)
thanks!

DevilsRejection
Jul 7, 2006, 04:11 AM
yea i had a 20 inch 4:3 crt, when i got my 20 inch iMac i was like ... that's it?

your eyes will adjust, enjoy the dpi

erikamsterdam
Jul 7, 2006, 04:13 AM
Yeah, the Macbook is *very* bright. Got mine 2 days ago but I'm loving it.
In the house I turn the brightness down though, but sitting outside I could hardly ever see my iBook, but with the Macbook it's no problem. Wonderful!

archurban
Jul 7, 2006, 04:52 AM
you should know some facts on macbook. brightness is 79% better than iBook. even my old 12-inch powerbook is all the way up to full brightness, macbook (45%) is way better.

I know why you're eyes iching. first brightness like i said. second, font is little smaller than iBook. iBook uses 1024x768. macbook is 1280x800. but you can change resolution. go to display preferences, and change.

JFreak
Jul 7, 2006, 05:01 AM
font is little smaller than iBook. iBook uses 1024x768. macbook is 1280x800. but you can change resolution. go to display preferences, and change.

This will not help the aching eyes. LCD's are designed to run at their native resolution -- anything else will make the image blurred and distorted; iow, text becomes very hard to read.

If it's too bright, just make it less so. Common sense. Battery will also last longer :)

jmsait19
Jul 7, 2006, 05:09 AM
slightly off topic...

but aren't lcd's easier on the eyes overall compared to crt?

erikamsterdam
Jul 7, 2006, 05:38 AM
Personal preference can differ, but in my experience CRT is easier on the eyes especially if you make long hours. But not highly practical in a laptop :D

JFreak
Jul 7, 2006, 05:57 AM
aren't lcd's easier on the eyes overall compared to crt?

Yes, very much so. CRT is a moving target for a human eye, whereas LCD image only changes when and where the image changes. Reading text, for example, is very much easier using LCD than CRT display, but the situation can be reversed when one plays action games with older and slower LCD display.

(however, newer LCD displays are just as fast as the CRT displays, or even faster -- LCD with 8ms response is like having a 125Hz refresh rate on CRT even if the whole image changes every frame.)

Mord
Jul 7, 2006, 06:11 AM
my macbook is nearly three times brighter than my ibook, aka outside i can acctually see it in the sun.

this is by far a good thing.

dmw007
Jul 7, 2006, 06:26 AM
You will get used to the screen on your MacBook silvertulie. :)

slightly off topic...

but aren't lcd's easier on the eyes overall compared to crt?

I find LCDs to be much easier on the eyes. :)

Greebazoid
Jul 7, 2006, 06:34 AM
a good CRT is excellent, but boy, can they be fiddly to setup correctly

LCD's - well, you just plug em in and off they go. What has been outstanding is the colour accuracy of my partners iMac - he's a fine art student and uses his mac for art projects - and what the screen shows, is *exactly* what gets printed. Thats quite a thing.

dmw007
Jul 7, 2006, 07:11 AM

True, but I can not stand how much room CRTs take up.
My 19" Trinitron consumed a good majority of my desk. But now I have a LCD so all is good. :)

17luv
Jul 7, 2006, 07:52 AM

LCD's - well, you just plug em in and off they go. What has been outstanding is the colour accuracy of my partners iMac - he's a fine art student and uses his mac for art projects - and what the screen shows, is *exactly* what gets printed. Thats quite a thing.

I didn't find that to be true (the true to print color display) when it came to my last toshiba laptop, but definitely have noticed the true to color with my new cinema display and mbp. Which has been worth their weight in gold (or at least cubic zirconia!) to me :D

To the OP good luck with the display, plus it might be a good time for a routine eye check up (just incase!).

GFLPraxis
Jul 7, 2006, 07:56 AM
Hey all, just got my 13" macbook in black a few days ago, previously had a 14" ibook.

My eyes are KILLING ME! Anyone else? I realize the screen in this computer is much better than my old one, and only slightly smaller....should this be happening? Will I just get used to it, or is there something I can change to make it better? I tried hitting the F1 button..can't think of the name of it, but when i take it down a few notches, it really doesn't help.

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
J

The difference is that the MacBook is an inch smaller, yet has a HIGHER resolution- more dots.

Try turning down the resolution (under Displays) a little bit and see if that helps at all, or just makes it uglier.

eXan
Jul 7, 2006, 08:00 AM
LCD is soooo much better if you spend a lot of time by the computer! It also has almost no impact on your eyes, unlike CRTs.

I had CRTs for my whole life (starting from rav. A iMac G3 till eMac 700MHz) untill I got this iMac G5. So I was kind of used to CRTs and could spend a lot of time by it. My eyes however have gotten very bad and now I enjoy this widescreen LCD :) After we bought it, eMac was still here working a an internet access point, I had to use it from time to time and I've noticed (since I already got used to LCD) that I cannot use eMac for more than 20 minutes! My eyes start to feel pain.

Mord
Jul 7, 2006, 08:01 AM
never ever run an lcd out of naive res, it's just not nice, the pixels don't line up and you get nasty blur.

Scarlet Fever
Jul 7, 2006, 08:21 AM
ive been using Apple laptops since my mum got a 667MHz TiBook, and i dont realise how bright their screens are until i go onto a different display, like her work Toshiba piece of (something ending with IT). They are exceptionally bright, but you will adjust. Maybe you should be getting your eyes checked out as well...

grabberslasher
Jul 7, 2006, 08:51 AM
I know the feeling - I went from the 17" PowerBook to the 17" MacBook Pro. Same screen size, but res jump from 1440x900 to 1680x1050.

I literally had to up the font size in every app, and make my icons bigger too. I'm used to it by now though

zakatov
Jul 7, 2006, 08:55 AM
I know the feeling - I went from the 17" PowerBook to the 17" MacBook Pro. Same screen size, but res jump from 1440x900 to 1680x1050.

I literally had to up the font size in every app, and make my icons bigger too. I'm used to it by now though

now imagine that 1440x900 on a 15in MBP. More is better, so I guess I can't complain

eXan
Jul 7, 2006, 08:32 PM
now imagine that 1440x900 on a 15in MBP. More is better, so I guess I can't complain

The DPI on both 17 and 15 inch MBPs is the same, so pixel size is the same too.

California
Jul 7, 2006, 09:25 PM
The resolution problem is why I stayed with an ancient VGA Tibook and traded in my DVI. The old Tibooks have the same resolution as the 14" iBook. I completely get what you are saying! I have considered even putting a lower resolution VGA screen on a DVI Titanium powerbook. I am just used to that resolution and i hate having to change font size and zoom in with Word to adjust.

YS2003
Jul 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
I usually set the brightness at 20% to 35% areas when I am using computers at home. In extremely well lit offices, I turn it up to 50%. My ACDs are set at the lowest brightness setting. Even though I know LCD could outlast the computer, I cannot help myself trying to prolong the longevity of the LCD's backlight by setting it at the lower setting. My Ti is set at "one bar" and I can use the screen without any problem.
But, my company-issued Dell is dealt with no concern on the longevity; it is cranked up to 100% brightness most of the time (especially when I am in the car, I need to crank it up the brightness to use the notebook).