Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
There are some known errors for Adobe InDesine 2.0 and installation. Here are some work arrounds that i found on some messagebords. There has been some suspicion by Adobe tech support that the faster machines are more likely to have a problem. I have used the second way of doing it and it worked for me. I and a friend of mine have been having problems getting it to work. thought I would post it in case anyone esle had the same problems.

Not every one will have this problem.

-evildead

Method1
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

1. Start the installation process as usual.

2. When the installer has started the installation, switch into the Finder and navigate to where you are installatiing InD 2.

3. Select the InD 2 folder that is being installed -- and then start hitting Cmd-D multiple times to start multiple Finder copies of the InD 2 folder.

4. If you start enough simultaneous copies of the InD 2 folder you'll find that all this Finder activity slows the installer down -- start enough Finder copies so that the installer is slowed to the point where it's installing one or two items per second.

5. As Finder copies complete, start new copies so that installer runs at its slower pace throughout the installlation.

Daft as it may seem, the rather ludicrous procedure outlined above will allow the installer to complete about 50% of the time. If it doesn't work first time, try a couple of more times. (And don't forget to delete all the duplicate InD 2 folders!!!!)

How I did get here? Well, IMHO there's a serious flaw with the installer tools whereby when an installer error occurs it just deletes everything it's just tried to install, including the installer log file. Having an installer log file written to disk in the event of an installer error would be a great help in trying to deubug exactly where the installer failed.

So, in an effort to capture an installer log file as close as possible to the point where the installer was failing, I started an installation and kept copying the InD 2 folder -- and lo and behold, the first time I tried it I got through a complete installation.

Subsequent investigation proved that it wasn't a fluke -- although it's only successful about 50% of the time.

Method2

The best work around yet appeared recently on the Adobe User forums. Using Disk Copy (found in the Utilities folder) make a blank disk image (I used the regular 700MB CD size, though ID is only 82MB, so you could use a smaller image). Don't give the image a title - when I tried this, it didn't show up as a place to install ID. Then run the installer, choosing the disk image as the installation location. After you're done, drag the ID folder to the OS X Applications folder. Done.

This is by far the easiest of all the solutions suggested - doesn't involve burning CD's, external drives or anything else and it's quick.

I've been using ID 2.0 for a couple of days now and it's great!

Method3

There was a posting by Mike ******** (2/5/02) that suggested the following and IT WORKS!
Start up Terminal window and enter the following commands followed by a return:
sudo chmod 1775 / (it will ask for your password - enter it then-)
sudo root:admin /

After a dozen attempts indifferent ways - found this and worked the first time.

OnAShelf

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2002
inDesign installer

Making a disk image with Toast and installing to that worked the first time for me on a duel1g g4. Good luck to everyone. And thanks for collecting some of the options...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
wow mac users rock
look how helpful evildead was
why can't PC users be like that

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Adobe posted a fix

Adobe has posted a installer fix for InDesine2.0. You must have the CD in the drive when you start it up.

....for anyone that cares and didnt all ready know.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.