PDA

View Full Version : Breast Ironing To Stunt Growth Widespread

rockthecasbah
Jul 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
Link. (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/07/07/cameroon.breastironing.reut/index.html)

According to CNN.com, Ironing the breasts of young girls before they mature to hault growth is a common practice in Cameroon, a small town. They state that this is to lessen the chances that their daughters will be raped. The article starts off with "1 out of 4 suffer this abuse to protect from rape."

To do this highly form of abusive protection, the individual takes a heated stone and press them against the girls' breasts. This is very painful not only phyiscally (you are really just burning the girls) but it is traumatic and performed by a relative. The article also notes that is dangerous to their health, causing severe pain, and possibly infection, breast cancer, and the hoped dissapearance of their breasts.

This is very sad, i don't know what is wrong with these people....:mad:

scem0
Jul 7, 2006, 10:17 AM
eek, that is sad. Some might even consider it... rape. :rolleyes:

e

codo
Jul 7, 2006, 10:18 AM
That's repulsive. Poor girls.

CorvusCamenarum
Jul 7, 2006, 10:29 AM
Sadly, this is reminiscent of the reports we used to hear frequently about female circumcision. I'm not sure which is worse.

Queso
Jul 7, 2006, 10:37 AM
Africa is in a shameful state. Even where I used to live in KwaZulu-Natal, which is quite prosperous by African standards, rape was widespread and it was quite common for women to have been raped on many different occasions. The parents of these girls simply think breast ironing is the lesser of the two evils on offer.

It's very easy for us in the West to be disgusted at the parents, but then we have luxuries like well manned and trained police forces looking after us. In Cameroon they don't have that umbrella.

This isn't right, but when put in context it is understandable.

mactastic
Jul 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
How about martial arts classes instead?

I know, I know... but seriously, that's horrible.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 7, 2006, 11:47 AM
Coming out of Africa Iam just not surprised at all. These people are a cultural mess big time. Ignorance seems to rule the day.

rockthecasbah
Jul 7, 2006, 11:58 AM
Africa is in a shameful state. Even where I used to live in KwaZulu-Natal, which is quite prosperous by African standards, rape was widespread and it was quite common for women to have been raped on many different occasions. The parents of these girls simply think breast ironing is the lesser of the two evils on offer.

It's very easy for us in the West to be disgusted at the parents, but then we have luxuries like well manned and trained police forces looking after us. In Cameroon they don't have that umbrella.

This isn't right, but when put in context it is understandable.
So that makes destroying girls breasts alright? Rape is rape wherever it is. Just because it is Africa doesn't make their "rape" any different from rape that occurs "in the west". I know you don't personally agree (none of us do) that it is right. But just because they don't have the same exact protection we do with adequate police forces like you suggest doesn't make this any humane of a act.

scem0
Jul 7, 2006, 12:05 PM
So that makes destroying girls breasts alright? Rape is rape wherever it is. Just because it is Africa doesn't make their "rape" any different from rape that occurs "in the west". I know you don't personally agree (none of us do) that it is right. But just because they don't have the same exact protection we do with adequate police forces like you suggest doesn't make this any humane of a act.

he didn't say it was humane, he just said it was understandable there given the prevalence of rape in that area.

e

Queso
Jul 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
When there are no other options, people turn to desperate measures. It's no good us just wishing breast ironing didn't occur when it's just a symptom of the actual problem; There is no rule of law in much of Africa, and nobody is doing anything to improve the situation.

crdean1
Jul 7, 2006, 02:47 PM
What about if the women banded together, took those hot stones, and stoned every male that raped. Now that might be a solution. I'm guessing there is no punishment for the rapes?? Sick.

Queso
Jul 7, 2006, 04:45 PM
What about if the women banded together, took those hot stones, and stoned every male that raped. Now that might be a solution. I'm guessing there is no punishment for the rapes?? Sick.
There's no punishment because there's nobody to catch them. That's the trouble.

iGary
Jul 7, 2006, 04:52 PM
Three words:

Third

World

Country

mactastic
Jul 7, 2006, 04:53 PM
There's no punishment because there's nobody to catch them. That's the trouble.
And don't forget, it took many years to get the rape laws here in the US and other western countries to not be blatantly favored towards the males. Things like rape shield laws and not being able to accuse the accuser of "asking for it" are still relatively new developments even here.

ham_man
Jul 7, 2006, 05:23 PM
These people are a cultural mess big time.
WHEEE!!! Western Ethnocentrism rules the day!!!

calculus
Jul 7, 2006, 06:02 PM
WHEEE!!! Western Ethnocentrism rules the day!!!
Oh yes! Breast implants rule!