Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
I have succesfully installed Fink and Fink Commander, and I have a quick question. When I download and install a package, Fink Commander automatically places the files in the /sw/bin directory without creating a separate directory for each application. I would like to tell Fink Commander to create a new folder for each application so that I can manage my files more easily, rather than have them all jumbled with the Fink files in the /bin directory. How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hariya

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
That is the expected unix-y behavior. All the executable files can be found in a few directories defined in your path. There is no easy way to solve this problem. You have to manually configure each package and compile from source. That is too much work for too little pay-off, imo. Also, since some programs depend on other programs and assume them to be residing in the same directory with them, you will also see some wierd behavior.

In conclusion, if you dont want an intense crash course in the unix underpinnings of your machine, it is best left alone. Sorry.

If your worries are about uninstalling programs and leaving back orphans, you can always drag the entire /sw folder to Trash and start fresh. That is the beauty of fink.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
That is what I was afraid of. :( Oh well. I do have another question, what would x11 users recommend for "must install" packages? In other words, what packages would allow me to get the most from my x11 experience? I've been playing around with AbiWord and GNUmeric, and I would like to know where I can get more fonts. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by Doctor Q
In a word: Gimp.

Yup, that was one of the first programs I installed. :D I have also installed AbiWord, Gnumeric, Koffice, and even Lincity! So far, I'm very impressed with AbiWord and Gnumeric, which is more than usable and faster than Word and Excel. Koffice definitely is more polished, but has a much slower startup time. Something related to KDE, perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.