PDA

View Full Version : you know what i hate? (ipod conformity complaints)

fenderninja
Jul 7, 2006, 02:47 PM
people who are like, 'you got an ipod! conformist!'

people like that suck. they need to understand that buying something because its a quality item isn't conforming. its buying a quality product. there is a reason everyone has one!

Josh
Jul 7, 2006, 02:48 PM
there is a reason everyone has one!

Yeah - they're conforming :)

2nyRiggz
Jul 7, 2006, 02:58 PM
I don't pay attention to people at all so them saying anything like that to me will just fly over my head.

Bless

Tanglewood
Jul 7, 2006, 04:10 PM
Conformist?! I got my first iPod November 30, 2001. I believe that makes me a trendsetter!:p :D :cool:

Mord
Jul 7, 2006, 05:32 PM
people are like that, if windows were better i'd use windows, it's nothing to do with whats more popular.

ipods have lower return/failure rates but 87% marketshare so all the limelight.

Mr Skills
Jul 7, 2006, 05:43 PM
Just tell them that choosing a product just to avoid conforming is no different to choosing a product so that you will conform. It's still putting your image before practicality.

uaaerospace
Jul 7, 2006, 05:46 PM
One of my coworker's father gave this as a reason for buying her a non-apple branded mp3 player. I thought to myself, this guy is an idiot. I suppose this is also the reason he only buys Dell PCs :confused:

Scarlet Fever
Jul 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
the above comment pretty much said it; if he says your a conformist for getting an iPod, ask him what OS he runs on his computer. If he says "oh yeah well Macs suckz", say "oh yeah well all other MP3 players suckz" :p

People actually made fun of me when i got my 3rd Gen iPod back in 2003. Now those same people own iPods, and have tried to be friendly with me. Their the conformists, buying something because someone else did.

I got sick of everyone carrying around the black and white 5th gen iPods, so i non-conformed again by getting the U2 iPod :D

EricNau
Jul 7, 2006, 06:21 PM
If anyone told me that I would just point to my iMac and MacBook. :)

...Then, because they brought it up, I would point out that they are conformists because they run Windows (we all know that is the only reason why someone would buy Windows). ;)

X5-452
Jul 7, 2006, 06:47 PM
Due to monetary misfortunes I was unable to purchase my iPod until August of last year; however, I had been following the iPod and wanting one since the 2G 20GB model came out. Technically, I'm not a trend whore or conforming since I knew about them and wanted one before they went mainstream. As such, whenever someone says to me that I am a trend whore or conforming, I simply reply that I bought it because it works, is easy to use and looks nice. I did not buy my mp3 player because some random on the street also has one.

Tanglewood
Jul 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
People actually made fun of me when i got my 3rd Gen iPod back in 2003. Now those same people own iPods, and have tried to be friendly with me. Their the conformists, buying something because someone else has did.

The exact same thing happened to me though slight changes (1G instead of 3G)

The only truely personal story that I have that still leaves me bitter whenever I think about it is this:

In the fall 2004 I decided to get a new iPod and waited to get the iPod Photo 60 GB though could have done without the $600 price tag (ouch). When I got it a lot of people in my dorm started to ask me iPod questions and if they should get one. Of course I said yes to anyone that ask and a few actually got them. Though there was this one girl that would ask me questions about iPods and then keep saying that she was still going to buy a Dell. Until about 2 weeks later when she bought an iPod and the asked me to set up her computer for her iPod (she's very computer illiterate). Grudgingly I do. Before the week was out she had already gotten any and all high priced third party iPod accessories for her _______ iPod (she by this time named it). Now on a side note I read the paper every morning. With that said I picked up the news paper and to my shock it has this girl on front page of the tech section as the face of the iPod generation. It had quotes by her in the article about how she loves her iPod and how it was so easy to set up blah blah blah. Anyway I'm slightly bitter about this particular 'conformist'

*deep breath*

EDIT-I think I really just disliked this person and this validated why.

H&Kie
Jul 8, 2006, 09:58 AM
This "conformist" just shows those persons out what music is on his iPod. Not too much conforming about that.

QCassidy352
Jul 8, 2006, 10:41 AM
Conformist?! I got my first iPod November 30, 2001. I believe that makes me a trendsetter!:p :D :cool:

I got mine april 15, 2002... but I wanted one way before that! :)

EvilBeans
Jul 8, 2006, 12:27 PM
I bow my head in shame as someone who has dished out the conformist tag on a few occasions.

Now I see 3 general types of consumers that buy iPods:

1 - Folks who research all the options and decide the iPod is best for them.

2 - Folks who do no research but buy iPods because they're sexy and all their friends have one.

3 - Folks who have no idea that any other options are available.

I'm not going to venture a guess as to what the proportions are. That said, you have to agree that there is a certain degree of conformity out there. No?

savar
Jul 8, 2006, 03:29 PM

i got mine fall of 02, but was still the first person i knew to get one...now freakin everybody has them. on the plus side, i do think it will slowly sell a lot more macs, because a lot of people i know who've gotten them have asked me about buying an imac.

dmw007
Jul 8, 2006, 08:58 PM

Yes, that most certainly makes you a trendsetter Tanglewood! :)

hulugu
Jul 9, 2006, 03:30 AM
I bow my head in shame as someone who has dished out the conformist tag on a few occasions.

Now I see 3 general types of consumers that buy iPods:

1 - Folks who research all the options and decide the iPod is best for them.

2 - Folks who do no research but buy iPods because they're sexy and all their friends have one.

3 - Folks who have no idea that any other options are available.

I'm not going to venture a guess as to what the proportions are. That said, you have to agree that there is a certain degree of conformity out there. No?

I guess if you're using the broadest definition of conformity. But, I think a more refined idea of conformity needs to be considered. I would think someone who conforms would be someone who makes a choice out of fear of being ostracized in some way.
So, if I've had an iPod since December 2002 I can't be a conformist if 2 Million other people buy an iPod. Furthermore, if I just bought an iPod last year after serious research and testing I shouldn't be considered a conformist either. If, however, I bought one because I was afraid my other iPod-owning friends would make fun of me, that would be conformist.

Lastly, to paraphrase Fight Club, you're not your **cking khakis. Or, buying a product (or not buying it) doesn't make you cool or interesting.

EvilBeans
Jul 9, 2006, 07:06 AM
So, if I've had an iPod since December 2002 I can't be a conformist if 2 Million other people buy an iPod. Furthermore, if I just bought an iPod last year after serious research and testing I shouldn't be considered a conformist either. If, however, I bought one because I was afraid my other iPod-owning friends would make fun of me, that would be conformist.
Exactly my point. You just said it better. :)

Sesshi
Jul 9, 2006, 07:18 AM
I could just show them everything else I have/had that I don't use. I honestly thought given the time that the iPod has been out someone out there would 'get' it, and be able to develop something better - because it's not perfect by any means.

I listened to a lot of what the iPod-bashing 'non-conformists' had to say and bought what they had (iRiver, Creative, Rio, Sony, etc). What I realised is that most of those guys don't have a clue what a high-capacity jukebox should be and how it should work. And most of them bash the iPod because of it's status nowadays (an also because it's made by Apple), and many of them have never even used an iPod.

If something else actually better comes out, I'll have that. But I've wasted so much money (and time) listening to 'zealots' who tell me that X is better than the iPod and giving it a try that I've been put off doing that for a long time.

weg
Jul 9, 2006, 08:14 AM
One of my coworker's father gave this as a reason for buying her a non-apple branded mp3 player. I thought to myself, this guy is an idiot.

Not if he got her an iRiver ;-)

EvilBeans
Jul 9, 2006, 08:55 AM
Or a Karma.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

moot
Jul 9, 2006, 09:20 AM
Sorry, but maybe I'm missing something here.:confused:

But what is this big thing about comformity? And people saying they bought some item for some reason and when? Does it matter? Even if someone buys something only because everyone else has - what does that matter?

In my opinion it is just another reason to buy or do something.

Anyway. sometimes conformity works. After all, if something is popular, there is usually a good reason for that. So why not do the same yourself? Many people are too busy to look into something too deeply.

:o only my 2 yens worth:o

Sesshi
Jul 9, 2006, 10:11 AM

No certainly not an idiot. Just a total nerd :p

Chundles
Jul 9, 2006, 10:18 AM
No certainly not an idiot. Just a total nerd :p

I had a quick look at one of iRiver's HDD players yesterday, the reddish one with the vertical touch strip. It's enormous!! The 20GB black one that sort of looks like carbon fibre is even bigger - thicker than the original iPod from what I've seen, it's like an early PDA in terms of thickness.

Love the iPods, nothing works quite as well.

Mammoth
Jul 9, 2006, 11:12 PM
Or a Karma.

Ooh... I have one! :D
(I have to add that to my sig)

Dagless
Jul 10, 2006, 05:56 AM
I have a mate like this. Anything thats popular - he hates. It beggars belief really that he should also hate Apple computers.

the only portable music people I know have iPods. but this guy, he runs out and buys this Sony MP3 player that he constantly complains about "oh the software is crap" "I have to use... a...track?" "the OS is poo" where us iPod guys n gals just don't complain at all. its all smooth for us. heh, and for the same price as an iPod video he got this Sony thing with an inverted monochrome screen. clever.

Sesshi
Jul 10, 2006, 07:20 AM
I liked it's styling and the controls weren't bad, but the Sony was generally a bit of a disaster. The flickery, reflective screen made my eyes hurt, the software did stink (and the upgraded vastly better version still maintains a whiffy aspect), it's too big for what it is and the battery life was a few hours more than the iPod - definitely not the claimed 35 hours. Gapless playback with the totally proprietary ATRAC file format is about it's one and only real advantage, if you can call it that.

The 'problem' is that in terms of MP3 players the iPod is such a leap over other players in usability that it's a no-brainer to pick even if you've done your homework. The same no-brainerness antagonises the counterculture, or people who feel themselves to think different to the herd.

The anti-iPod-sheep want to be different, all credit to them but different is not the same as better. I wish they'd stop buying these mediocre alternatives and claiming they're iPod Killers so that rival manufacturers are really pressed to come up with a genuine iPod alternative. I'm so over the styling / hype of the iPod but there are just no alternatives that are worth using.

Viking Quest
Jul 10, 2006, 09:17 AM
I got mine in October of 2003 and I was still the first person I knew to have one.

EvilBeans
Jul 10, 2006, 09:52 AM
I liked it's styling and the controls weren't bad, but the Sony was generally a bit of a disaster. The flickery, reflective screen made my eyes hurt, the software did stink (and the upgraded vastly better version still maintains a whiffy aspect), it's too big for what it is and the battery life was a few hours more than the iPod - definitely not the claimed 35 hours. Gapless playback with the totally proprietary ATRAC file format is about it's one and only real advantage, if you can call it that.

The 'problem' is that in terms of MP3 players the iPod is such a leap over other players in usability that it's a no-brainer to pick even if you've done your homework. The same no-brainerness antagonises the counterculture, or people who feel themselves to think different to the herd.

The anti-iPod-sheep want to be different, all credit to them but different is not the same as better. I wish they'd stop buying these mediocre alternatives and claiming they're iPod Killers so that rival manufacturers are really pressed to come up with a genuine iPod alternative. I'm so over the styling / hype of the iPod but there are just no alternatives that are worth using.

I can only speak for myself. When I was shopping for an HDD based player in the fall of 2003, I went over all the options, including the current iPod, iriver, Creative, etc. The more I read, the more I kept going back to the Karma and have been extremely happy with it ever since. (Got it as a Christmas present from wifey.)

The point is, just as there are plenty of people who made a well researched thought out decision to buy an iPod, there are plenty people who made a well researched thought out decision to buy PlayerX. What defines the "best" player depends heavily on what's most important to you. If having in integrated FM radio is critical, then that rules out iPod, Karma, and a few others. Ditto if you require browsing by folder structure. Meanwhile us database browsing, not-caring-about-FM folks have our iPods, Karmas, etc.

Peace.

Sesshi
Jul 10, 2006, 10:14 AM
I don't get it when the posting does that.

Sesshi
Jul 10, 2006, 10:15 AM
In 2003 the Karma was a bit of a revelation. Things move on, as they do always. Rio is dead and it's products aren't kept updated anymore. I used to have a Karma and it's probably the closest anyone's come to an iPod.

pianoman
Jul 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
some guy at the gym was complaining that he didn't like the music on the gym speakers so i suggested he get an iPod. he said - very matter-of-factly - that he didn't like anything made by apple.

that was the end of that conversation.

Viking Quest
Jul 10, 2006, 01:38 PM
some guy at the gym was complaining that he didn't like the music on the gym speakers so i suggested he get an iPod. he said - very matter-of-factly - that he didn't like anything made by apple.

that was the end of that conversation.

What a toolbag.

zoeynutz
Jul 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
Some one should take apple to court
Some one should take apple to court. This false advertising pisses me off. Here I have a Mac now and all the programs are tied in, but to understand the problem in full detail I must explain. Lets say you want to put a video on your Ipod with Itunes. If it needs to be converted to a file that is compatible,(which is another thing I hate about apple) then you have to upgrade the software for QuickTime to make it QuickTime Pro. Will after that you find out another program needs to be updated for the version to work and then another and another tell you are broke or give up! I gave up and just lost the money I paid to upgrade the program because it wont do what it should do and says it will do. “OUT OF BOX MY AZZ” some one better sue them!
So here I sit paid for an Ipod that wont do what it said. Paid for a Mac that doesn’t even come close to what it said, then paid to have the demo programs upgraded to pro. And they don’t do as it said! (the worst is Ipod is made purposely bad to prevent pirating) what is tape recorders would have been made to not record the radio. Remember Sunday countdowns when every kid sat by the radio with tape recorder ready to record their favorite tunes. (I still have some of those tapes.)
Anyway I spent a fortune and now own a bunch of Junk! I could have bought any mp3 play because in the end ipod does less for the price then many of the knock offs and other mp3 players. Here is a good one http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/10/ipod-nano-knockoff/
$77 for a mini knock off
Or here is one just like the shuffle
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/28/keepin-it-real-fake-part-xviii-another-day-another-ipod-shuf/
any way the truth is some one needs to come out with a new line of hard ware tat cuts through all this junk!!!!!!

Redline13
Jul 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
Some one should take apple to court
Some one should take apple to court. This false advertising pisses me off. Here I have a Mac now and all the programs are tied in, but to understand the problem in full detail I must explain. Lets say you want to put a video on your Ipod with Itunes. If it needs to be converted to a file that is compatible,(which is another thing I hate about apple) then you have to upgrade the software for QuickTime to make it QuickTime Pro. Will after that you find out another program needs to be updated for the version to work and then another and another tell you are broke or give up! I gave up and just lost the money I paid to upgrade the program because it wont do what it should do and says it will do. “OUT OF BOX MY AZZ” some one better sue them!
So here I sit paid for an Ipod that wont do what it said. Paid for a Mac that doesn’t even come close to what it said, then paid to have the demo programs upgraded to pro. And they don’t do as it said! (the worst is Ipod is made purposely bad to prevent pirating) what is tape recorders would have been made to not record the radio. Remember Sunday countdowns when every kid sat by the radio with tape recorder ready to record their favorite tunes. (I still have some of those tapes.)
Anyway I spent a fortune and now own a bunch of Junk! I could have bought any mp3 play because in the end ipod does less for the price then many of the knock offs and other mp3 players. Here is a good one http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/10/ipod-nano-knockoff/
$77 for a mini knock off
Or here is one just like the shuffle
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/28/keepin-it-real-fake-part-xviii-another-day-another-ipod-shuf/
any way the truth is some one needs to come out with a new line of hard ware tat cuts through all this junk!!!!!!

Apple doesn't sell hardware to help you pirate music. What gave you that impression?

hulugu
Jul 11, 2006, 01:37 AM
zoeynutz...

First, for all that is holy, please have someone teach you how to put sentences together into a coherent idea.

Second, there are lots of ways to convert video files to a format the iPod can use—which isn't proprietary—without using Quicktime Pro. The iPod does have one limit that's annoying, and that's moving songs from one computer to another, although there are dozens of ways around this as well.

Lastly, being able to 'tape' songs is a complex problem involving the RIAA and has nothing to do with Apple and would not be solved with a lawsuit against Apple.

Your diatribe is completely misplaced, wrongheaded, but hey if you don't like the iPod, get a shuffle knock-off, that should play videos just fine.

iMacZealot
Jul 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
I was the first person I knew to get an iPod and I got mine in December, 2004. Most of the people in my school still don't have one. It could be the fact that most of them are giant penny pinchers and accuse me of being too wealthy which I don't think is true. Many of their parents heard that the iPods somehow "sold out" at Christmas and bought them Rios. The new nanos, though, with their cheaper prices, have caused more kids to buy them at school.