Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Hello,
I have to design a logo for university. It's for a teacher that likes sailing and Denmark. So I decided to create a logo for a danish sailing school:

logo.png

I would like your input on this logo. Especially suggestions for a better font type would be appreciated. Maybe even some font face that matches the style of the logo so that I can remove the stupid dots, which now draw the connection between the logo and the font.

I also need to write a short paper about this logo, and thus, I'm creating a list of all the things I apparently thought about when designing. If you can think of something else, it would be nice of you to add it. Thanks.

- It is in the colors of Denmark
- It features the Scandinavian Cross
- The sail can either be seen as a whole, or the bottom part as being the boat, and just the top part being the sail
- The sail is shaped like a wave
- The wind blows from the left to the right -> Progress
- The semicircle represent the rising sun, a new beginning
- The semicircle encloses the sail -> Security
- The sail, however, cuts a hole in the semicircle -> Freedom
- The dots around the text are the nails for the nametags found on many boats
- The italic font shows progress
- The font is childish -> sailing is fun

Attachments

• sejlerskole logo.eps.zip
    172.7 KB · Views: 112

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Two points... but it's nice to see someone design a logo that works in one colour first rather than going for half-tones/gradients from the outset.

1) My first initial impression is that the sail was a bishop's mitre and not a sail at all.

2) As far as the font goes, this particular choice wouldn't hold up well at smaller sizes. You need something with a little more weight and less contrast in the strokes to hold up with the rest of the artwork. I'm reluctant to recommend anything in particular except a humanist sans, italic if you prefer. Maybe something that looks a little more like this...

435ec15e6562451921b2c0b48619a9d2.png

ouphe

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't see the bishop first, but I agree about the typeface not holding up at a small size. As a general practice, when developing a logo it's smart to m make a 5 inch version and a 1 inch version (and a photocopie version of each, in some cases, to see how it holds up, though this doesn't generally apply for larger companies/businesses).
Otherwise, I like that you've got some logic behind it and I think the design is pretty solid.

-Colin

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
for some reason, i can't see any of the images in thhis thread. could someone please reattatch them? thanks:)

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I like it. I probably wouldn't change a thing. It's not to flashy and it simple so that anyone will remember the connection with the school...

Nuc

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Blue Velvet said:
Two points... but it's nice to see someone design a logo that works in one colour first rather than going for half-tones/gradients from the outset.

1) My first initial impression is that the sail was a bishop's mitre and not a sail at all.

2) As far as the font goes, this particular choice wouldn't hold up well at smaller sizes. You need something with a little more weight and less contrast in the strokes to hold up with the rest of the artwork. I'm reluctant to recommend anything in particular except a humanist sans, italic if you prefer. Maybe something that looks a little more like this...

435ec15e6562451921b2c0b48619a9d2.png

You and I are totally in sync on both of these points. I saw the intent because of my visit to Iceland (love viking imagery now).

vicki2314

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
Texas
Nice logo, good use of figure/ground and continuation but the font definately needs to go, Lucida Calligraphy right??

I played around with your logo for a good 15 minutes or so and this is what I came up with:

sejlerskole_logo.png

*The replacement font is Warnock Pro Semibold Italic Display, a very nice typeface that suits the look your after well. (at least I think)

*I dropped the dots- although your explanation for them is nice, I honestly don't care for them and think it clutters the space and improves readability at reduced levels.

*The base of the sail is what bothered me the most in your design so I attempted a solution by extending the sail to make the base flow and make it more comfortable to the eye.

*I also rounded the corners at the base of the semicircle to create a softer, more polished look. Could be because I tend to like rounded corners as opposed to masculine straight edges and points so this may be more of a personal change. Well they're all personal changes, haha, but maybe you'd like a few of them!

All in all, great job and you've obviously put a good deal of thought into your design- in fact, after I read your points I automatically liked the logo 10 times more.

Good luck!

Attachments

• sejlerskole_logo_altered.eps.zip
    205.1 KB · Views: 86

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I see a calligraphy ink pen nib there but it totally makes sense for what it is. Agree with not liking the initial font much, but the logo itself is very nice.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Teh dansih roxzorz! zomg!!!111!:D

Yeah, it's cool. You might wanna make it a bit more clear that the danish flag is the sail on a boat.

BTW, are you danish yourself?:D I know I am...:p

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Okay, first off, thanks everyone. I never saw the bishop's mitre when designing, but now every time I look at the logo I can definitely spot it:cool: Fortunately I still have about three weeks so if I have a genius idea, I'll try to make it look a bit more like a sail.

vicki2314 said:
I played around with your logo for a good 15 minutes or so and this is what I came up with:

sejlerskole_logo.png

Hm, and suddenly I don't like my version that much anymore. I really like your font and how you extended the base, so I think I'm gonna go with that. I'm not so sure about the rounded corners at the bottom, but you are not the first one that doesn't like the original ones.

BTW, the original font is Apple Chancery (I modified the k's and the l's though).

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
you can really tell it's the danish flag in this one- a great improvement. I think haaving the roundedness makes it look a lot less like a hat :) Great job

vicki2314

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
Texas
sebisworld said:
BTW, the original font is Apple Chancery (I modified the k's and the l's though).

look up Lucida Calligraphy! with your modifications it looks exactly like it, haha! i never noticed how similar Apple Chancery and Lucida Calligraphy were...that's funny, haha

wow, you know you're a graphic design nerd when fonts make you laugh

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I like it better than the first, but I am still seeing the Bishop's mitre. I think that it is because of the roundness of the right lower portion of the "sail". More angular to match the left side might eliminate the thought from my mind.

Either way, a great job!

d3ft0ne

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
I think you have a pretty nice logo. You may want to consider adjusting some of your curves though, as the perspective looks off on the white sail lines when compared to the sail itself. Speaking of lines, there is no variation between any of the lines that make up your sun or sail. They all have the same weight, which makes it look very static (obviosuly not what you were aiming for).

I also saw the pen nib at first, but I knew it reminded me of something else I've seen, then I remembered... the '92 Winter Olympic games.

tainice

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
Please don't be offended, but to be honest, the logo looks like a Giant Squid to me...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.