PDA

View Full Version : Game Shows Native GeForce 3 Support Under OS X

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2001, 10:55 PM
xlr8yourmac.com has posted an article (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/#S12264) explaining that the upcoming Mac port (OS X only) of the popular PC game, Giants: Citizen Kabuto (http://www.interplay.com/giants/) will utilize specific features of the GeForce 3 video board, if present in your system:

Nvidia's main web site has a button that links to screenshots and comments on Giants for the Mac (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=giants_mac) which will be an OS X only title. Giants is said to be the first game that will use the GeForce3's pixel/vertex shaders.

This is great news given that many were fearful that the host of powerful and (currently) unique features that the GeForce 3 offers would be lost on the Mac, since on the PC exploitation of the board depends heavily on Microsoft's proprietary DirectX 8 system. It is believed that Giants will require OS X v10.1, since a specific GeForce 3 driver will be bundled with that version of the OS (current OS X uses GeForce 2 drivers to power the GeForce 3, lacking support of its specific features). Excellent news for any gaming fans, to be sure.

Megaquad
Jul 26, 2001, 05:34 AM
will this game be playable on g4 400/geforce2 mx mhz for example?
pc version has extremly high recommended configuration,so..

blakespot
Jul 26, 2001, 05:50 AM
Yes, Yes...and Rage 128, etc. I'm sure. It's just that it takes advantage of some of the unique features of the GeForce 3, if present. This indicates that they've written custom OpenGL "modules" or "extensions" (a standard ability of any traditional OpenGL implementation) to tie to the GeForce 3 in particualr, if present. Hopefully this will set an example for other developers. I expceted this occurence to be a year out, at best. Quite nice to see if happen so soon.

blakespot

Pants
Jul 26, 2001, 02:40 PM
hooray! someone has decided to ditch all their dx8 code in favour of OGL. I cant see many games companies re-writing a game SOLELY to take into account us mac users with gf3 cards. Can you?? Especially dx 8 tools already exist for the gf3. Whats iDs stand on this - seeing as they are one of the few writing in OGL?? Say what you like, but when running a gf3 in a mac i get that feeling that Im only ever going to be using a fraction of its power. If nVidia and apple were really serious, why no full gf2??

blakespot
Jul 26, 2001, 03:49 PM
You make some excellent points. It's interesting...I decided I needed more speed than my B&W G3 400 was offering me. I decided I could not afford a high-end G4 so looked at building an Athlon 1.4 system + GeForce 3 (which can be done for $1,300), tho I was sad to leave OS X (I started as a NeXTSTEP fan!) but am married and not so easy to justify the purchase of a $3,000 machine. Well...I decided I just could not sell my soul, so I did get it justified (dual-G4 800 + GeForce 3 on the way) and all will be great...

...but when I was going to have to bit the bullet and go to Windows 2000/XP on the PC, I was getting pretty excited about the insane power that, through DirectX 8, I'd have with the GeForce 3 in the box. That combination really is staggering--analogous to the introduction of the 3Dfx Voodoo chipset into the world--it was mindblowing. GeForce 3 + DirectX 8 really is a whole new level (and yes, Radeon II will have this power and maybe more, and then there will be the GeForce 4, ad nauseum -- but the point is it's started). So when I decided I had to stay with the Mac and OS X, I had to decide which gfx board to go with.

I was fully aware that most killer games on the PC now are DirectX, and porting them to the Mac AND porting the gfx system to OpenGL is quite a tall order. Here we have a DirectX 8 game being ported where obviously custom OpenGL render modules are being written to utilize the GeForce 3. I am amazed at this--I did not know if this would ever happen (with direct GeForce 3 support via the OGL modules), but it's happened already! I had decided to go with the GeForce 3 before I was aware of this, given that all said it is easily the fastest gfx board out there for the Mac, even if its features are not supported. It's great to see that already they are beginning to be supported. Hopefully this will provide an easy "jumping off" point for other such ports.

Great show. This is incredible news.

blakespot