Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Given the global membership of MR everyone's in different time-zones. So I was wondering if there is some way to not only display the local time a post was made, but also the time at the location of the poster. It's probably not the most useful thing to display, but I'm always just curious about it.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
max_altitude said:
Given the global membership of MR everyone's in different time-zones. So I was wondering if there is some way to not only display the local time a post was made, but also the time at the location of the poster. It's probably not the most useful thing to display, but I'm always just curious about it.

I'd like that, too.. it'll save from things like this:
max_altitude isn't it about 3 am over there? Your posts are incoherent and make absolutely no sense! Go to bed!

To which he would say:
It's 2 in the afternoon and I'm completely lucid. You go to bed.

if it can't be added globally, I think people could at least put it in their locations or Sig...

maybe a nice li'l map with time zones on it.

I like this idea. :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
katie ta achoo said:
I'd like that, too.. it'll save from things like this:
max_altitude isn't it about 3 am over there? Your posts are incoherent and make absolutely no sense! Go to bed!

To which he would say:
It's 2 in the afternoon and I'm completely lucid. You go to bed.
Precisely the kind of situation I had in mind, where it would be useful.

At the moment I have a few international clock widgets set up for checking the times, but that involves a little bit of effort. I'm all for laziness. :eek: :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
max_altitude said:
Precisely the kind of situation I had in mind, where it would be useful.

At the moment I have a few international clock widgets set up for checking the times, but that involves a little bit of effort. I'm all for laziness. :eek: :D

Damn! I never thought of that!!

is there any way to edit the widget so it'll say usernames?
Is Australia one big time zone?

Maybe someone with skill™ could make one big widget with boxes to enter in usernames under the various time zones.

Yeeeeesss

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
katie ta achoo said:
Damn! I never thought of that!!

is there any way to edit the widget so it'll say usernames?
Is Australia one big time zone?

Maybe someone with skill™ could make one big widget with boxes to enter in usernames under the various time zones.

Yeeeeesss
I have no idea about usernames. Hopefully someone who knows more stuff will be able to tell us.

Australia's split into 3 time zones usually. So if you want to set clocks, I'm in Melbourne which is half an hour ahead of Adelaide where MJ is. Western Australia is two hours behind, but I don't think we have any members out that way.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The distance between the east and west coasts of Australia are almost exactly the same as that between the east and west coast of the contiguous USA.
BigObjFileManager

We're split into only three time zones though (in summer there are four as some eastern states don't observe daylight saving). If it were midday in Sydney on the east coast, it would be 11:30am in Adelaide (in the middle on the coast of the Great Australian Bight) and 10:00am in Perth on the west coast.

Both countries are almost exactly the same size (excluding Alaska) but we only have six states and two territories. So the state of Texas (that's the biggest in the lower 48 isn't it?) compares thusly:

Western Australia = ~4 times the size of Texas
Queensland = ~3 times the size of Texas
Northern Territory = ~2 times the size of Texas
South Australia = ~1.5 times the size of Texas
New South Wales = ~1.2 times the size of Texas
Victoria = ~35% of Texas
Tasmania = ~13% of Texas
Australian Capital Territory = ~0.35% of Texas.

The time zones are:

NSW, Queensland, ACT, Victoria and Tasmania = midday.

South Australia, Northern Territory and the town of Broken Hill in the west of NSW = 11:30am

Western Australia = 10:00am.

Thus endeth the lesson for today.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
max_altitude said:

Good idea max_altitude- I like it. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Would be cool so long as it doesn't clutter up the interface too much. It'd show who's really dedicated to MacRumors - the 4:00AM posters. *Looks up two posts*

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
mad jew said:
Would be cool so long as it doesn't clutter up the interface too much.

Agreed. It would be even better if it was a choosable option for each member, so that those that might not want it don't have to have it.

mad jew said:
It'd show who's really dedicated to MacRumors - the 4:00AM posters. *Looks up two posts*

Maybe it's not such a good idea after all...:eek:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
Would be cool so long as it doesn't clutter up the interface too much. It'd show who's really dedicated to MacRumors - the 4:00AM posters. *Looks up two posts*

Dedicated, or simply obsessed? ;) :D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
max_altitude said:
Agreed. It would be even better if it was a choosable option for each member, so that those that might not want it don't have to have it.

Maybe it's not such a good idea after all...:eek:

i got my favorite time zones in world clock widgets ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.