PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to protect your iPod?

luckylisp
Jul 8, 2006, 12:01 AM
And if you don't use anything at all, how long have you had your iPod and how has it held up?

OutThere
Jul 8, 2006, 12:04 AM
I didn't use anything at all for the first 6 months or so (just made sure it was alone in my pocket) and it held up pretty well. Since then I got a little fabric bag made for it (I know someone who sews), and it hasn't gotten a scratch on it since. I'd never take a plastic case over the bag. :)

It'd be most similar to an iPod sock.

celebrian23
Jul 8, 2006, 12:08 AM
I have a black case:) I'd be happy to let it be naked, but my parents weren't so fond of that idea. I like scratches. They do give it character

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 8, 2006, 12:09 AM
iPod Sock protects my Nano perfectly - I have no scratches at all on the screen, and I could careless about a few fingerprints on the back.

I use the heck outta that little thing...:)

EricNau
Jul 8, 2006, 12:10 AM
I use the case that came with my iPod Nano.

lu0s3r322
Jul 8, 2006, 12:10 AM
agent 18 cases are the best IMO

DarkNetworks
Jul 8, 2006, 12:19 AM
iPod Socks are the best...

luckylisp
Jul 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
I often think about ditching my case, (clear Contour iSee) just maybe keeping it for when I ride my bike as it has a clip. I'm a very careful person and I think it would keep well, but I bought a case straight out of the gate because everyone said it was a must and it likely is for most people. Although, actually, what they said was more urgent, something like - "Don't even use it once without putting a case on it first!" haha.

Lixivial
Jul 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
A case.

A silver Core Case (http://www.corecases.com/product.php?productid=14), to be specific.

~Shard~
Jul 8, 2006, 12:25 AM
Marware Sportsuit Convertible for my 3G iPod Works like a charm! No complaints!

Koodauw
Jul 8, 2006, 12:54 AM
Invisible shield on both the nano and 5g.

rjgonzales
Jul 8, 2006, 07:28 AM
I don't use anything on my 3g, but I imagine if i were to purchase something new I would at least consider invisible shield.

Mal
Jul 8, 2006, 08:18 AM
I have a brown w/ white stripe leather flip case for my 4g, and it works great. Only problem I have is that it's now a bit thicker, and slightly less comfortable in my pocket, but that's a small price to pay to keep it unscratched.

jW

iGary
Jul 8, 2006, 08:23 AM
Thermal Tiles...

http://www.floridatoday.com/columbia/images/020503tile2.jpg

Warbrain
Jul 8, 2006, 08:31 AM
I use an iSkin on my 3G iPod and Speck cases on my shuffle.

Tom B.
Jul 8, 2006, 09:17 AM
I use a Contour Showcase Video (http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcasevideo/), together with somthing similar to the invisible shield that only covers the iPod's screen. The iPod is really well protected, but the case can still get scratched quite easily.
I never had to use a case with my iPod mini, because of how scratch-proof it was.

craigatkinson
Jul 8, 2006, 09:21 AM
I use invisible shild. This stuff is amazing. When I was at the store, the salesmen pulled out a pen, had me hold the amazing shield and then he proceeded to stab through the plastic while putting all his weight on it. It never penetrated the plastic. I was sold.

DJMastaWes
Jul 8, 2006, 09:52 AM
iPod socks. I love them, there so cool.

needlnerdz
Jul 8, 2006, 04:32 PM
I use my trusty iWalkman (http://www.pervertedvinyl.com/iwalkman/) to protect and disguise my ipod.. hopefully its a theft deterant... unless of course, you are hit by one of those vintage/analog thiefs...

iSaint
Jul 8, 2006, 05:02 PM
I use the gray case that came with my 5G. I love the soft inside. I also like a small case, because something larger takes away from the smallness that is the attraction of an iPod.

Does that make sense??? :p

count chocula
Jul 8, 2006, 05:52 PM
agent 18 for my 5G and the the case that came with my nano for it.

tdhurst
Jul 8, 2006, 06:35 PM
Not a damn thing, my 5G iPod is slightly scratched up (but still very useable) and works perfectly

JosiahPB
Jul 8, 2006, 07:59 PM
I really like the regular case shipped with my 5G iPod

steamboat26
Jul 8, 2006, 09:05 PM
Sadly, when i got my ipod nano in August, the apple store didn't have any cases (:mad: ). So i had to wait a couple of weeks to get my Belkin Folio case, so my ipod got scratched just by being in my pocket.

wwooden
Jul 8, 2006, 10:23 PM
I use an InCase leather case for my iPod Photo. I always liked the original Apple belt clip cases they used to supply with iPods, but I didn't like that you couldn't use the iPod while it was in the case. This case is by far my favorite case I have had. I have tried an iPod sock, a nice silicon case, but this one has all the features I wanted. Good protection, can use the iPod while in the case, can attach an iTrip without removing the case, and has a really sturdy belt clip and i think it looks really good on an iPod.

Here are some pictures I took with my iSight.

Oh, and the best part is that i got it at TJ Maxx for $5.00.

bassman
Jul 9, 2006, 01:33 AM
agent 18 cases are the best IMO

I agree. I tried contour, and the clear case ended up scratched bad in a month. I switched to agent 18 and it still looks beautiful after 4 months.

cycocelica
Jul 9, 2006, 02:26 AM
Back when I got my iPod (2nd gen) they had no real protection things. We got the standard sock type thing but that was annoying and I lost it soon after the purchase. Mine is now scratched to hell but at least I know it is mine.:D

macgeek2005
Jul 9, 2006, 02:48 AM
I voted "Nothing at all, scratches give it character" but there really needs to be an option "Nothing at all, I treat it so well, it doesn't get scratches anyway". :rolleyes:

iBrow
Jul 9, 2006, 08:01 AM
I use the zCover iSA 5G Original (http://www.zcover.com/product_pics/APG5XNIN.htm). :)

netdog
Jul 9, 2006, 08:03 AM
A pack of vicious Dobermans protect my iPod.

luckylisp
Jul 9, 2006, 10:48 AM
I voted "Nothing at all, scratches give it character" but there really needs to be an option "Nothing at all, I treat it so well, it doesn't get scratches anyway". :rolleyes:

Yep, it does depend on how well you treat it, of course. And maybe it's been exaggerated how easily iPod screens scratch? This is one of the reasons why I asked people who don't use anything to mention how their iPod held up with no protection. I was curious if they really do scratch as easily as I've heard. I wouldn't know myself as I've always used a case.

Sesshi
Jul 9, 2006, 11:49 AM
The invisibleshield is excellent. Mine is a bit scratched now and I suppose I can get it replaced under the warranty but I haven't bothered yet. It really is a great skin and for the most part makes cases redundant. If skins are not your thing the Agent18 case is really good, although if you drop your iPod at a certain angle the two halves of the case can come apart.

macattack5
Jul 9, 2006, 12:21 PM
I knitted my own ipod sock :)... works like a charm!

MattyMac
Jul 9, 2006, 04:44 PM
INVISIBLE SHIELD! is the best....hands down!

luckylisp
Jul 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
Has anyone used the Martin Fields protectors?

http://www.doml.com/productdec.asp?pid=2119&model=video30_i&modeln=iPod%205G%20Video%20(30GB)

I have heard some good things about them. They're very similar to the Invisible Shield but they're supposedly more clear. They're also cheaper. If anyone has used it, I'd love to hear more opinions on it.

extraextra
Jul 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I use the same incase thing as above, except white. I wanted an iskin, but I don't know if they make them for the monochrome G4 ones anymore.

Felldownthewell
Jul 10, 2006, 12:16 AM
My 5g was in an Agent 18 before it was even turned on. Which is a good thing judging from the number and severity of the scratches on the case. I try to treat it well but invariably the one time I have to stick it in the pocket with my change so I can show my fare to the ticket inspector it will be horribly and brutaly scratched.

I like it because I use the Ipod in my pocket, and the rubberized cases don't slide well (I wear tightish jeans) into and out of the pocket. The Agent 18 keeps it slim (enough) and slick enough so that I don't look like an idiot grabbing around in my pockets. I wish Ipods didn't scratch at all, but thats just wishful thinking...

todd2000
Jul 10, 2006, 12:17 AM
For the first moth or so I didn't use a case, but started to get scratches. I tried a few different cases, but they all made the iPod bulky and ckumsy to use, so I got resoursefull, and used some PDA screen protectors AKA WriteRights to cover most of the iPod and had them for several months. Then my friend bought me a Sleev from Radtek http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevziPod4G.aspx which I have been using for over a year now and it works well. I might switch to an invisable shield though, because I like the way the iPod looks without a case.

The Mad Kiwi
Jul 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
I use a Vaja case, orange back, grey front. I've dropped it a few times so it's done it's job.

www.vajacases.com

cleanup
Jul 10, 2006, 01:06 AM
Leather case handmade by a shopkeeper here in Shanghai.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/2247/case4nr.th.jpg (http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=case4nr.jpg)

iShane
Jul 10, 2006, 01:13 AM
Haha. I don't even try anymore. It is so scratched up its not even funny. I think I have a dead/stuck pixel too.

Sesshi
Jul 10, 2006, 02:22 AM
so that I don't look like an idiot grabbing around in my pockets.

My pockets aren't that tight but you're so right, with my silicone-skinned iRiver (unlike the iPod, that skin is practically the only option available) I have to clutch around my pocket to squeeze the darned thing out. I hadn't realised how odd the contortions would look to someone...

eXan
Jul 10, 2006, 08:25 AM
What do you use to protect your iPod?

Brains. :)

ToastMaster
Jul 12, 2006, 04:10 AM
I used the little sleeve that comes with the 5g for awhile, but then I got an InvisibleShield and never looked back.