PDA

View Full Version : No new 15" Powerbooks until MWNY?


kidtronix
Mar 5, 2003, 07:09 AM
The new 15" aluminium books are expected by many to arrive shortly after the new 12" and 17" models. However, this never seemed to be intended. Nor has Apple ever made any statement or hints that the 15" would even have a revisit to aluminium, the Apple users just has taken it for granted. The new 15" models will not be revisited until the new chip upgrade, which is the much anticipated and significantly cooler 1.3Ghz - at MacWorld New York, where Jobs also will come clean with the delays on the 17" and reporting excellent sales of the 12" model.

Prove me wrong. :p

Bear
Mar 5, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by kidtronix
The new 15" aluminium books are expected by many to arrive shortly after the new 12" and 17" models. However, this never seemed to be intended. Nor has Apple ever made any statement or hints that the 15" would even have a revisit to aluminium, the Apple users just has taken it for granted. The new 15" models will not be revisited until the new chip upgrade, which is the much anticipated and significantly cooler 1.3Ghz - at MacWorld New York, where Jobs also will come clean with the delays on the 17" and reporting excellent sales of the 12" model.

Prove me wrong. :p
Actually the 17" were originally quoted as available in February in the press release. It is now March 5th and some stores got them a couple of days ago. This is not a big delay. I think people who ordered their 17" Powerbooks when they were announced were quoted late February anyway for their ship dates.

As for when the 15" Aluminum Powerbook might be announced. I'd say anytime now. Apple will not wait until MWNY, at the latest, I'd say updates will be announced around the end of April, that being 6 months from the last upgrade to the 15" TiBook.

kidtronix
Mar 5, 2003, 07:30 AM
N to the izzO, but has anyone who has order from Apple recieved their 17" yet?

iJon
Mar 5, 2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Actually the 17" were originally quoted as available in February in the press release. It is now March 5th and some stores got them a couple of days ago. This is not a big delay. I think people who ordered their 17" Powerbooks when they were announced were quoted late February anyway for their ship dates.

As for when the 15" Aluminum Powerbook might be announced. I'd say anytime now. Apple will not wait until MWNY, at the latest, I'd say updates will be announced around the end of April, that being 6 months from the last upgrade to the 15" TiBook.
i havent heard of anyone getting theres yet. i know the apple stores have some that you cant turn on, which doesnt really count in my opinion.

iJon

cubist
Mar 5, 2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by kidtronix
... The new 15" models will not be revisited until the new chip upgrade, which is the much anticipated and significantly cooler 1.3Ghz - at MacWorld New York, ...

I think this is a reasonable prediction - there's no real need for hurry on the 15" PB as long as inventory holds up - but on what is it based? The "significantly cooler 1.3GHz" chip you refer to, the 7457, is not expected to be available in any quantity until the end of the year.

timbloom
Mar 5, 2003, 10:40 AM
In another thread or article, it was told that macmall had started to recieve shipments of the 17" yesterday.

But on the topic of the 15", the 6 month prediction here is very logical. I would like to see what kind of stock that major distributors have of the Ti, and if there are any being ordered for them. That would really tell us what the current status is, with a good hint at the future.

Flowbee
Mar 5, 2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by timbloom
In another thread or article, it was told that macmall had started to recieve shipments of the 17" yesterday.


MacMall has been lying to their customers about the arrival of the 17" for weeks now. Do you think MacMall has them in their warehouse, but most Apple stores don't even have ONE working unit?

When we see them (working) in the Apple stores, that's when we can expect shipping to start.

yzedf
Mar 5, 2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Bear
Actually the 17" were originally quoted as available in February in the press release. It is now March 5th and some stores got them a couple of days ago. This is not a big delay.

Yes, it is a big delay. Jobs getting up on the international stage and stating that you can have one in February, and not following through, is bad. Very. A few days, a few weeks, we don't really know yet. We shall see.

wdodd
Mar 8, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by timbloom
I would like to see what kind of stock that major distributors have of the Ti, and if there are any being ordered for them. That would really tell us what the current status is, with a good hint at the future.
A quick check at a major distribution company shows about 400 12" PB's in stock and both models of the 15" and the 17" are "constrained" which means they either don't have stock or any stock is already committed to pre-orders.

macphoria
Mar 9, 2003, 01:15 PM
I say Apple will stick to 6 months upgrade cycle and bring out 15" Aluminium PowerBook around April/May.

Kwyjibo
Mar 9, 2003, 01:57 PM
if we see albooks we shoudl assume they won't be speedbumped until the whole powerbook line is spedbumped (the 15 al book wouldnt' be faster than the 17). I personally think apple might wait and just update the whole line of Albooks at once near MWNY, it makes sense in many apsects.