Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
:eek: :mad: i was at the beach last night, and i had my iPod headphones in my pocket. sand got in them, and now music sounds a little odd. how can i get out the sand? if i must, i guess ill just get new headphones. are plain white apple headphones available? thanks.:D

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
wmmk said:
:eek: :mad: i was at the beach last night, and i had my iPod headphones in my pocket. sand got in them, and now music sounds a little odd. how can i get out the sand? if i must, i guess ill just get new headphones. are plain white apple headphones available? thanks.:D

I am not sure that you will be able to get the sand out of your Apple headphones (or undo any damage the sand might have caused). :eek:

I would advise that you just buy some new Apple headphones (check out Apple's website for some). :)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dmw007 said:
I am not sure that you will be able to get the sand out of your Apple headphones (or undo any damage the sand might have caused). :eek:

I would advise that you just buy some new Apple headphones (check out Apple's website for some). :)
the only problem is that apple only sells their $40 in ear headphones. could i just go to my local apple and buy new ones?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Is your iPod still under warranty? You could have them ship you new ones. When/if you have to ship the broken ones back, and they determine it was your fault, the worst you will have to do is pay for them (which would be less than $40).

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The sand had to get in there somehow...so it should be able to fit on its way out.

Shake shake shake....do the shake shake shake. :p

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Apple usually ships out new headphones no-questions asked, and you don't have to send your old ones in.

Don't call, though. Submit an online repair request.

Just say they died on you. Don't mention the beach. I've gotten 3 pairs of free earbuds over the course of my 5 iPod life.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Some people here in the past just took them to their local apple store and were given free replacements.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Actually, the earbuds are very easy to open up. You just grab the light-grey component (with the grille) and pull carefully. It should come out with little effort.
This should make it easy for you to remove the sand that's gotten in there.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
cleanup said:
Apple usually ships out new headphones no-questions asked, and you don't have to send your old ones in.

Well, if Apple is almost bound to send you a new pair this way, do it wmmk. :)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
noaccess said:
Actually, the earbuds are very easy to open up. You just grab the light-grey component (with the grille) and pull carefully. It should come out with little effort.
This should make it easy for you to remove the sand that's gotten in there.
will I be able to put them back together?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
how exactly does one open up iPod headphones and close them back up without damaging anything?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Electro Funk said:
they are already damaged now... no???

was just suggesting a quick possible fix before trying to exchange/replace them....
If he disassembles them then there is a very small chance in exchanging them. He'd have to get lucky and hope Apple didn't request he send the old ones back.

IMO you are better off just exchanging them as they are now. I doubt Apple would spend the time with the old pair to discover you got sand in them. However, if you try sending the broken ones back in several pieces (because you tried taking them apart), it will be quite obvious that you broke them.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
cleanup said:

Just say they died on you. Don't mention the beach. I've gotten 3 pairs of free earbuds over the course of my 5 iPod life.

you still need to ahve a warranty and will need to send the old ones in or they charge u 19 dollars!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.