PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture/TV Input

crazzyeddie
Mar 5, 2003, 02:51 PM
I was looking for a video capture/ TV device that i could use to capture some old family movies and casual projects as well as being able to watch TV.

I have found two products that I think fit the bill the best: EyeTV ($199, USB) and Formac Studio DV/TV ($389, Firewire).

The DV/TV is superior in everything but price, and i was really wondering if its needed for home videos. The DV/TV captures at 720x480 full DV and the EyeTV captures at 320x240 MPEG 1.

I know the MPEG 1 isnt directly iMovie/iDVD compatible, but for a $180 difference I could live with converting the data. Is the EyeTV good enough for casual editing? or is the extra $180 dollars worth it?

timbloom
Mar 5, 2003, 02:57 PM
My father has the original Formac Studio, and it's de-interlacing capabilities were rather crummy, if you were burning it to dvd, you would notice it (looks checkered). I am unaware of eyetv's quality. I would think that Formac would have improved the quality since. But the ease of use of it is fantastic.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 5, 2003, 03:11 PM
what format are these old movies? if on vhs you could use a hollywood bridge to get em into your computer. i have heard very good things on the eyetv. wish ati would get a 9700 all in wonder on the mac then we could use our mac to watch TV.

crazzyeddie
Mar 5, 2003, 03:59 PM
They are old VHS tapes. I looked at the hollywood DV bridge, but im looking for something with a built in TV tuner.

mymemory
Mar 5, 2003, 04:50 PM
Pay what they are asking for.

The thing is, that, is very easy to get a cheap useless video capture device. Nothing lower than $300 is good, specially USB base systems (do not get them at any cost). There are no way to get around a bad video signals, you can cheat audio but not video. Humans are 80% visuals and we proccess more visual information than anything else.

Get a good video capture device, the Hollywood Bridge is good enough, I think you can find something more appropiate for what you want outhere but nothing under $200 at lits.

Recomendations:
1. Be sure is at list 640x480 resolution.
2. 30 frames per second capture.
3. Fire wire at list. Usb can not handle such ammount of data density.

Thouse are my 2cents.

crazzyeddie
Mar 5, 2003, 05:49 PM
Your 2 cents are much appriciated =)

But is the difference enough for $180 bucks? thats basically double the price.

hugemullens
Mar 6, 2003, 04:23 AM
The difference is well worth the price if your serious about capturing and exporting out to a TV via any format. 640x480 is what you need for that and usb 1.1 simply cannot handle that much data, or atleast not well.

timbloom
Mar 6, 2003, 10:18 AM
it will be very choppy and nasty looking video if you try to use a USB device to capture at a decent resolution.