PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Ipod 5g

Felldownthewell
Jul 10, 2006, 12:07 AM
So about three weeks ago I decided I couldn't live with my 15gb 3g's 45 minutes of playback any longer (it is the 3rd replacement from apple), especially for my Europe trip so I went out and sold my PSP to buy a 30gb 5g.

Everything has been great except that when looking at friend's 5gs and Nanos, my Ipod UI/OS has seemed really sluggish and slow. Not just when I play a video or song, where I reasonably expect a short delay while the HDD spins, but just changing menus at normal speeds looks incredibly choppy.

I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem and what they did to solve it. I'm still within the 90 day period and I bought applecare but have not registered it yet (I will soon, I just haven't gotten around to it) so I can take it back if need be, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to speed things up...?

laidbackliam
Jul 10, 2006, 02:28 AM
i just upgraded my 4g20 gig to a 5g30 gig ipod, and i've thought that the interface was fairly slow. doesn't seem as intuitive as before.

eXan
Jul 10, 2006, 03:27 AM
My 5G iPod has slow response time, but transitions between menus are smooth. A few moments pass after I click a button (like Menu) before animation starts. The pause seems to be bigger when iPod is playing music.

iSaint
Jul 10, 2006, 06:42 AM
There was an issue with the 5g iPods being slow to transition between songs. It had to do with album art. However, I thought one of the iPod Updaters resolved the issue.

I couldn't find a thread, but do a search within this same thread and look for similar issues. I don't recall, but I think you turn off the option to sync album art, sync your iPod, turn the option back on, and sync again.

grockk
Jul 10, 2006, 12:10 PM
There was an issue with the 5g iPods being slow to transition between songs. It had to do with album art. However, I thought one of the iPod Updaters resolved the issue.

I couldn't find a thread, but do a search within this same thread and look for similar issues. I don't recall, but I think you turn off the option to sync album art, sync your iPod, turn the option back on, and sync again.

this worked for me.

Also be sure to use the most up to date OS. I believe it's at 1.1.2.

Sesshi
Jul 10, 2006, 12:19 PM
The 5G iPod's menu transitions and response is slower than the Nano or the older iPods. I do definitely notice it when moving back and forth between a 4G or whatever. It's still the best there is compared to non iPods but it's not completely 'wow' anymore, I agree with laidbackliam.

Felldownthewell
Jul 10, 2006, 12:27 PM

I couldn't find that thread either, but I am going to try the unsync/sync/sync method and make sure the OS is up to date. Hopefully that will help. I think it may have to do with the album art because one of my days this summer with too much time I added several hundred covers for CDs in my collection, and after that it noticeably slowed down, especially when playing songs.

I'll let you all know how it works.

Electro Funk
Jul 10, 2006, 02:39 PM
Optimize your album art....

how to:

sync the iPod....

uncheck show album art and sync again.....

when finished go back and check show album art....

when it starts to sync again it will "Optimize" your album art.... may take a few minutes....

Wallah.... shoud be speedy again....

Felldownthewell
Jul 10, 2006, 03:10 PM
Optimize your album art....

how to:

sync the iPod....

uncheck show album art and sync again.....

when finished go back and check show album art....

when it starts to sync again it will "Optimize" your album art.... may take a few minutes....

Wallah.... shoud be speedy again....

This, along with an update to 1.1.2 helped out quite a bit. Now I can switch songs quickly, but only for maybe 6 songs or so before it sticks, the HDD spins, then I am good for another 6. I'm not worried about that, thats pretty normal. As far as menus go, they are still nowhere near as quick as my 3g, and there is a >1 second delay after I hit a button before anything happens, but I can live with it.

Thanks for your help everyone!